First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford Maverick AWD ,XLT , FX4, Luxury package
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I ordered mine took 13 months price never changed, I could have driven it straight to Carmax and made 6-8 grand but after waiting 13months wasn’t even a thought. As for the Maverick on resell in the future you have to remember this is a very cheap truck , hard plastic panels , small motor ,little room and barely a real truck. Not being an ass just realistic. I really think in the future this truck is not worth a hole lot resale wise as holding value . It’s just a small truck a quarter size compared to the F150.
Sponsored

Reactions: bgn

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What gets under people's skin is not paying over MSRP, but being SURPRISED.

If the dealer straight up says "we're going to sell the truck for X price with Y additional "features"" people would either say ok or go find something else.

It's when the customer places an order and thinks they'll get X at Y price (and WAIT for the order) but dealer springs G at H price at the last minute, with no recourse for the customer, that people get upset.

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Until a couple years ago, virtually nobody ever paid MSRP, it was always below, sometimes by alot, the last new vehicle I bought in 2004 was 3 grand below. Now we are suppose to pay more than MSRP?, I understand market price, but at a certain amount above MSRP, the vehicle simply isn't worth it. So is it worth it to get a bad deal on something you want vs not getting it? For people that money doesn't matter, yes, for people who are in desperate need of a vehicle, those get taken advantage of.
Responding to the highlighted portion of the comment above...

I'm sorry, but in my opinion, no one who is in "desperate need" of a vehicle actually "needs" a brand new vehicle - not even a Maverick. There are always other, potentially lower cost ways to solve the vehicular need, besides purchasing a brand new one. Used truck prices are elevated above historic norms right now, but used is (and will always be) cheaper than new. And used trucks are almost always a better financial deal than a brand now one for someone who is "desperate" for a vehicle - even a small truck.

I'm definitely not someone for whom "money doesn't matter," but paying above MSRP for a Maverick Hybrid was a decision made because I "wanted" a Maverick hybrid enough to be willing to pay that price, forgoing spending on other things instead. Other new vehicles that appealed to me and met my criteria for purchase were all around the same price as what I wound up paying: about what a comparably-equipped Ranger or Colorado would have cost me. But the Maverick is a light-duty truck (which I really wanted), plus it fits in my garage, rides and handles better, and burns a LOT less gas than the other light-duty truck options available. To me, it wasn't a "bad deal," but I recognize that your opinion on that point might be different than mine, an that's OK. I recognize your right to be wrong. (Just kidding - trying to inject a little humor...)

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

What gets under people's skin is not paying over MSRP, but being SURPRISED.

If the dealer straight up says "we're going to sell the truck for X price with Y additional "features"" people would either say ok or go find something else.

It's when the customer places an order and thinks they'll get X at Y price (and WAIT for the order) but dealer springs G at H price at the last minute, with no recourse for the customer, that people get upset.
That might be the best analysis of the issue I've read on this forum...

I got a call from a dealer who stated they had exactly the truck I wanted, and would sell it to me for MSRP - no ADM. I left the house immediately (skipping dinner), and drove an hour to go to the dealership before they closed for the evening, with checkbook in hand.

When I got there, the salesman showed me the truck, again promised there was no ADM, and took me inside. Once we sat down to write up the deal, he casually slipped a buyer's order to me with (Surprise!) over $11K worth of dealer add-ons (tire warranties, wheel warranties, dent/ding repair service, a service plan that covered all scheduled maintenance for 3 years but was valid only at their dealership, stain protectant for the ActiveX seats, etc.).

Added all together, it MIGHT have been worth just under $1000, but they were charging $11K, and would not sell the vehicle without it. That made me absolutely furious. I suppose technically they were not charging ADM - nothing like that on the buyer's order - but overcharging $10K for "mandatory" dealer options amounted to the same thing, and they were certainly NOT willing to sell me the vehicle for MSRP as they stated multiple times on the phone.

I wouldn't buy a glass of water from them in the desert after that BS... And yeah, it was the lies and surprise that made me so angry.

Old Man

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ford's CEO doesn't want dealers selling over MSRP and wants to eliminate dealer control of sales and have online ordering directly from Ford. But each state has varying franchise laws, controlled by dealers, which prohibit that. So they have created a different process on their EVs that requires the dealers meet standards or lose allocations. And one of those is monitoring dealer pricing.

As stated earlier, paying thousands over will come back to bite a buyer as the used market has made a big correction back to normal. Same thing with people buying houses way over asking price and now are upside down on their mortgages because values have dropped. But I'm sure the government will step in and pay them the differences they foolishly lost, similar to what they are trying to do with student loans.

If there is an increase in MSRP between the time a vehicle is ordered and it arrives then the dealer is justified to increase the price if the manufacturer also increase the "invoice" to the dealer.

Sponsored

Hoagus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘02 Ranger, ‘22 Mav XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I do have an issue with dealerships that try jacking up the price once someone's order has arrived.
Especially by adding options the customer didn’t ask for, or explicitly told them not to install. That’s like extortion.

Hoagus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘02 Ranger, ‘22 Mav XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think most wanted to buy at MSRP to put themselves in a good position while prices were going up. You could sell early and hedge to something else. Even profit a little. The market has changed and is changing quickly since November. Auction prices have changed, salvage auctions have started to change, dealer offers for trades are changing but the Maverick demand and lack of units has kept it hot. I don't see anything changing in the next 3-4 months.
Maybe Ford will start building EB’s for dealer stock if people don’t change their hybrid orders to EB. That might loosen things up a bit.

Hoagus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘02 Ranger, ‘22 Mav XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As a society, we don't allow profiteering on scarce commodities such as food, water, and gas. Why do we allow car dealerships to engage in profiteering when having a vehicle is so central to daily life? Capitalism is fine, but unchecked capitalism, not so much.
Apparently, they have better lobbyists than we do.

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I paid $952 below MSRP at an out of state dealer. 700 mile drive to pick up the truck was a mini-vacation. Dealers a big chunk of their change on rebates...higher volume units sold gets them lots of additional revenue. My dealer spent minimal time preping my pickup...volume sales and I never spoke to a salesman except for 3 or 4 emails...they made easy money. I'd never pay over MSRP....they're MSRP dealers all over if you look.

Hdscreens

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CT5
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If market is what determines a vehicle‘s price then no need for a sticker from manufactures at all. Just walk in to a dealer take a big guess and negotiate till both sides come to an agreement on what the market value is on a vehicle. Personally, I’d feel blind as to where to start and I’m sure I’d be asking everyone I would see driving specific vehicle I’m interested what they paid for it and from which dealer. As of today I’d guess I saw 5 mavericks on the rd so I would literally follow them and I would ask them how much they paid and where just to get an idea what it might be worth to most.

MSRP is indeed a baseline of what that vehicle might be worth and it’s been figured in to allow enough profit for manufacturers and dealers with a little extra just to be sure. In the overall, all car manufacturers want a bigger slice of the marketplace pie so they price their vehicles accordingly with this baseline to beat out and compete with their competitors. If say a Maverick was starting at $50k msrp and a Chevy Silverado was starting for $45k msrp with very similar options I’d guess the Chevy would be more in demand. Let‘s also keep in mind the communicated msrp price point of the Maverick is what peeked our interest in the first place.

Most don’t like this idea of even one person paying over MSRP cause then it drags the other 99% into dealing with dealers that will only sell for over msrp cause of it. I’m sure with dealers selling only over msrp they must be turning down 99 people out of 100 just so they get over sticker. That’s 99% of potential repeat customers potentially lost. That to me is bad business practice. Opposite example is Granger, they got lines out the door for Maverick and Bronco buyers cause they were selling under msrp. Unfortunately, they grew too big on sales and so fast that Ford couldn’t keep up with Ford’s own allocation formula. Now, the same Granger has this Bronco Raptor over sticker and it’s been on there couple weeks at least. I’m sure it will sell at some point but there are many more buyers willing to pay 15k over rather than 20k and even more still willing to pay 10k over rather 15k so it’s safe to assume there’s even a Hell of a lot more lined up to pay msrp on that Bronco Raptor.

Ford Maverick My Thoughts on MSRP 1FBB7529-7F03-4574-BA43-4EDF6589A762

Sponsored

GatorDave113

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
MSRP is the suggested price that Ford believes is a reasonable value with profit included. Dealerships pay well below that number to get the vehicle on the lot. Any price above that due to supply and demand is price gouging to maximize dealership profits. I bought a 2023 XLT 2 weeks ago that someone didn't take delivery of. Sticker was 29k and the dealership started the negotiations at 39k and I talked them to 32k and wouldn't shake their hand until they comped the dealer add ons and threw in a free spray on bedliner. In the end I paid slightly more than 1k over sticker.

If it was exclusively about supply and demand they wouldn't have allowed me to talk them down so much. Price gouging is price gouging, and it's their right in a free market to try and maximize profits. But at the end of the day the buyer is complete control because they can walk away at anytime.

gwrace14651

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

It's been awhile but when we factory ordered our 2004 Ford Excursion 4x4 PSD in January of 2004 it arrived in 6 weeks. We paid invoice less a $3500 Ford incentive for the diesel engine package. So total out the door price with TTL for the Eddie Bauer was 36K. Still driving it today. It has pulled our 10k travel trailer all over the country and is my go to hauler for our boat and utility trailer. Diesel fuel was .99 a gallon and with a 44 gallon tank had some decent range.

Ford Maverick My Thoughts on MSRP IMG-6732

Last edited:
OP
OP

JBryant

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Times do change, don't they. We were talking yesterday to some friends and I remembered walking out of a dealership in 1976 because they would not discount from the MSRP more than 15% and I wanted 20%, which I got at another dealer on same vehicle. Of course it had a whopping $4,200 MSRP on it.
Sponsored