First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus SE Coupe, 22 F-150 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is my first hybrid vehicle and I’m trying to figure out how to get the most MPG and what options to use (normal vs eco). Flat land around here and most of my errands including work are within 3 miles from home.

Took this photo after an errand. Does it mean I’m getting 34.8 miles overall? Seems low for a short trip and driving like a grandma.

7DEF4780-E9AD-41D3-B564-5A405931C0B6.jpeg
What have your outside temperatures been like? The battery doesn’t charge below 32F/0C and doesn’t discharge below 0F/-18C.
Sponsored

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
can someone explain the read outs? Am I reading this right? The car has 422 miles driven with 118 miles left to go for a combined mileage of 540?
As @Cubican noted above, you are correct in this instance.

In general, this is what the trip meters look like in a modern Ford. There are Trip 1 and Trip 2, each keeps track of distance driven (trip odometer), time elapsed, and average mileage since you last reset it.

Some of us, like Cubican, will reset one of our trip meters at the gas station, so we know how far we drove on a tank and keep track of our mileage over time.

Akuma72387

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Neither of the above statements about premium fuel are accurate.

Disclaimer - Some premiums might have more detergent, but likewise some lower octane fuels might have more detergent. The octane rating has nothing to do with detergent.

Premium fuel does not burn more efficiently, no disclaimer needed. Nor does it burn less efficiently.
You are correct sir all Octane means I how much pressure the fuel can undergo in the engine before it ignites on its own. Which is why you have to use higher octane in higher compression engines in order to prevent pre-ignition which if people can't guess is bad off the fuel ignites before the piston reaches the correct spot.

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

What have your outside temperatures been like? The battery doesn’t charge below 32F/0C and doesn’t discharge below 0F/-18C.
Doesn't charge below zero? Where did you get that idea? Do you own a hybrid of any kind? The battery in my hybrid charges just fine with outside temps below 0C. If that was true there would be tons of people in Canada with dead hybrids all over the place.

CZaugg

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid, 2021 Toyota Venza
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You are correct sir all Octane means I how much pressure the fuel can undergo in the engine before it ignites on its own. Which is why you have to use higher octane in higher compression engines in order to prevent pre-ignition which if people can't guess is bad off the fuel ignites before the piston reaches the correct spot.
So the question now, to make it simple for us simple minded peeps, confused on which fuel to use. Manual "recommends" premium. Others on this forum say to use premium to cut down on the carbon deposits. Others also suggest regular because premium has no significant benefit for the Maverick 2.5 engine. Given that premium most definitely should be used IF engine knocks, pulling a trailer or if used in a high performance engine. Difference between "recommendation" and "Only Use". Maverick 2.5 (hybrid) definitely NOT a high performance engine. I am concerned about the carbon build up that was discussed on this forum. Don't want that! Carbon bad! Spending an extra 30 cents per gallon if not needed . . . bad. So which fuel type, premium or regular, should be used in the Maverick Hybrid (not pulling a trailer)? ? ? ? Confusion, confusion, confusion.

Sponsored

Cubican

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline, viper, c8
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The more miles I put on the hybrid the learning curve is getting smaller I can easily put the truck in battery mode on the highway and my mpg are improving dramatically, I also change the oil to AMSOIL here’s A pic of all highway driving from today I’m not driving any diferente just learning the truck habits
Ford Maverick My Real World Hybrid MPG 967916BF-969D-4535-BF38-0C664E0F96F2

mla_anderson

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Doesn't charge below zero? Where did you get that idea? Do you own a hybrid of any kind? The battery in my hybrid charges just fine with outside temps below 0C. If that was true there would be tons of people in Canada with dead hybrids all over the place.
0F is -18C

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

0F is -18C
You said they don't charge below 0C. I'm not American, when I say zero, I mean 0C. I said my Hybrid battery charges just fine below 0C, not 0F. 😆 There are plenty of people in parts of Canada were it gets below -40C, their hybrids don't die either.

Last edited:

mla_anderson

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You said they don't charge below 0C. I'm not American, when I say zero, I mean 0C. I said my Hybrid battery charges just fine below 0C, not 0F. 😆 There are plenty of people in parts of Canada were it gets below -40C, their hybrids don't die either.
Just going off the manual. Fortunately the rest of the system warms up the battery to allow charging.

Sponsored

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So the question now, to make it simple for us simple minded peeps, confused on which fuel to use. Manual "recommends" premium. Others on this forum say to use premium to cut down on the carbon deposits. Others also suggest regular because premium has no significant benefit for the Maverick 2.5 engine. Given that premium most definitely should be used IF engine knocks, pulling a trailer or if used in a high performance engine. Difference between "recommendation" and "Only Use". Maverick 2.5 (hybrid) definitely NOT a high performance engine. I am concerned about the carbon build up that was discussed on this forum. Don't want that! Carbon bad! Spending an extra 30 cents per gallon if not needed . . . bad. So which fuel type, premium or regular, should be used in the Maverick Hybrid (not pulling a trailer)? ? ? ? Confusion, confusion, confusion.
If you want to avoid carbon buildup, use a higher detergent gasolene such as a Top Tier brand. Premium gives no advantage in this.

Otherwise use the cheapest (generally lower octane) gasolene that the manufacturer allows. That would be 87, unless pulling a trailer, or other high-demand situations, like driving through the desert.

Akuma72387

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have the ICE eco. BOost which the manual also says premium is recommended I run middle grade or regular if I'm running low on funds and get 29mpg and have towed with no problems. I can't speak to the hybrid I never drove one but I didn't notice and real performance and maybe 1 mpg different between premium and regular

Allen King Jr

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 C-Max phev, 2006 Mercury Mariner, 2023 Mav XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Congrats. You know more than the fuel gauge on my truck. Also the Atkinson does not provide great torque at the low end. Thats why they are paired to hybrids because the electric motor picks that up. So at LOW speeds on engine only the Atkinson has poor fuel effeciency.
https://www.torque.com.sg/features/what-is-atkinson-cycle-engine-benefits/
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...n-combustion-cycle-and-what-are-its-benefits/
https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2019/02/engine-deep-dive-toyota-tacomas-atkinson-cycle-v-6.html
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/glo...uses-the-atkinson-cycle-engine/article623560/

There are some just with a quick search. It is no argument that the Atkinson suffers from low torque issues at low speed which means INEFFICIENT. Maybe YOU should not have spoken.
Just an observer, @fbov has lots of experience with HEV/PHEV Fords, I know this because I have chatted with him before regarding topics about the Ford C-Max as he has owned one for sometime just as I have

Bmr4mav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Lux Hybrid 23
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi. Prius owner here.

You have to drive long enough to make up for the engine starting or your MPGs will be low. The engine is always going to start at some point.

Also don't sweat your MPGs for extremely short trips like this. If this is the type of commute you always do then who cares what MPGs you get because you drive so little and if you really care then hope for a PHEV or a 100% EV.

Miles driven per year trumps MPGs. Since I've been working from home I only drove 6.5k miles in 2021 and spent $580 on gas (for the entire year). I was mostly driving as aggressive as you can in a Prius and averaged low 30s. Hypermiling would have gotten me in the 40s and saved me ~$100. Wasn't worth the effort.

Last edited:

Akuma72387

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have the ICE eco. BOost which the manual also says premium is recommended I run middle grade or regular if I'm running low on funds and get 29mpg and have towed with no problems. I can't speak to the hybrid I never drove one but I didn't notice and real performance and maybe 1 mpg different between premium and regular
So here is a picture from one of my friends who just got his maverick ecoboost Xlt Fx4 about a week ago. He is about 130 miles Into this tank of regular grade gas give or take a few miles. I took this while he was hoping down the road.

Ford Maverick My Real World Hybrid MPG 20220105_102202
Sponsored