Bear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Taurus & Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I finally figured how I wanted to load my wooden kayak by myself on my Maverick. I have the Elevate bed racks, Thule DockGrip to hold the kayak, Yakima HandRoll on the back rack to roll up the kayak, foam padding on the front rack and a foam block for the roof so the kayak can rest on. I needed the Yakima HandRoll so I can push up the kayak onto the rack beds and once I have it on the bed rack I pickup the kayak to move it on the Thule DockGrips.

The Yakima HandRoll is OK, it just doesn't roll as smoothly as I would like it. I bought a large foam roll from Foam Factory, cut it to length, sliced it open so I can slip it on the bed rack and I used velcro straps to hold them on (I really didn't need it). Once it's strapped down I didn't need a bow or stern line to keep it from sliding or shifting. My kayak is 17 foot and once it's balanced on the Thule DockGrips it only sticks out about 3 foot(ish) from the rear bumper. If I had a plastic kayak I wouldn't have been so fuzzy about loading up the kayak. But since it's wood I wanted to be more careful and keep the scratches to very bare minimum. Also, I did remove my antenna so I can move the kayak to the Thule DockGrips....I may use my stubby antenna again.

Ford Maverick My Kayak Setup IMG_3204
Ford Maverick My Kayak Setup IMG_3203
Ford Maverick My Kayak Setup IMG_3207
Ford Maverick My Kayak Setup IMG_3206
Ford Maverick My Kayak Setup IMG_3205
Sponsored

Tim d

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Good job! Curious how you removed the antenna?

Tim d

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It's screwed on. Unscrewing it made it easier for me to move the kayak over.
I don't see a screw anywhere on my maverick. Is it under the rear dome light lens?

Sponsored

NJBob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2003 MR2, 2019 Forrester, 1969 Z/28
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Nice kayak. Never seen a wood one before. Must be a bit heavy.

TheSEARCH

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My setup using Yakima roof cross bars. Then Thule hulivator. I was thinking about next year with the bars in bed. BUT I would still use one cross bar on cab to get the kayak forward more. No way I want it sticking out back that far. Mine are 16 and 17.2 long. Here is Valley Avocet on roof of mine.
Ford Maverick My Kayak Setup e

Sponsored

BuddyS

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 R Design & 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Nice. I'm working on a DIY solution to hauling my wooden kayaks, too. Beautiful boat, BTW.

wito53

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
WARREN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 outback, 2015 forester, ordered 2024 maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

DAN said - My setup using Yakima roof cross bars. Then Thule hulivator. I was thinking about next year with the bars in bed. BUT I would still use one cross bar on cab to get the kayak forward more. No way I want it sticking out back that far. Mine are 16 and 17.2 long. Here is Valley Avocet on roof of mine.
Dan, what towers did you use for the square(?)cross bars? I have the Hullivators also. But it currently connects to raised roof rails on my subaru

SCMav22

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Damn nice yak Bear! I want some bed bars like that but I still need some other pricey gear before that. What tonneau cover do you have?
Sponsored