2.5L Hybrid

jer32383

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord
Thanks for the info on the MRT struts, watched the video, ordered them. Sounds like some folks like to create their own option but some like life to be simple. Either choice we make, it is a positive upgrade!!
please let us know how this work out

jer32383

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord
Why, they will just be worn out in 3-4 years. Replaced too many struts on hoods and hatchbacks. Money pit. The hood prop costs nothing and will last and last and last.
you replaced a lot on hoods? I know they wear out on hatches but how much do you open your hood?

bombast

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
These people had to work out those brackets and then source the struts and they’re probably hoping to sell what A couple thousand of these? Do you think they’re running a charity?
Exactly how much R&D do you think goes into stamping out a handful of metal brackets and finding the right length gas strut?

Sponsored

jer32383

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord
Exactly how much R&D do you think goes into stamping out a handful of metal brackets and finding the right length gas strut?
A lot. For instance you would have to have the right length strut and the right pressure. develop the tooling to build the brackets or find someone to manufacture them for you. One is going to require a likely large order of parts. They have to get painted, this is not done with rust oleum. They then have to be packaged, even if it’s a box, it’s still probably wrapped up and put in the box with a label applied. There’s so much to it that you obviously take for granted.

more there’s the option that someone made a jig in their garage. That person’s time has a value. Even if it’s 35k a year that plus material has to be factored into the equation. You think they just dialed up Ali Baba and ordered 10k at 3$ a piece? This ain’t a spectre air filter for your civic

bombast

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A lot. For instance you would have to have the right length strut and the right pressure. develop the tooling to build the brackets or find someone to manufacture them for you. One is going to require a likely large order of parts. They have to get painted, this is not done with rust oleum. They then have to be packaged, even if it’s a box, it’s still probably wrapped up and put in the box with a label applied. There’s so much to it that you obviously take for granted.

more there’s the option that someone made a jig in their garage. That person’s time has a value. Even if it’s 35k a year that plus material has to be factored into the equation. You think they just dialed up Ali Baba and ordered 10k at 3$ a piece? This ain’t a spectre air filter for your civic
Oh come on. The companies making these things have all those resources already. Absolutely no one is starting from scratch producing metal brackets.

Worst case scenario, someone cranked out the design in a day, made a rough model to test, spent maybe half a day straightening out any problems found, and then entered the design ina database to be produced on existing machinery as needed. The same goes for struts, and that's if those aren't just off the shelf from an existing supplier.

jer32383

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord
Oh come on. The companies making these things have all those resources already. Absolutely no one is starting from scratch producing metal brackets.

Worst case scenario, someone cranked out the design in a day, made a rough model to test, spent maybe half a day straightening out any problems found, and then entered the design ina database to be produced on existing machinery as needed. The same goes for struts, and that's if those aren't just off the shelf from an existing supplier.
You think existing machines just magically prints these things like your 3d printer? It’s likely small batches mostly by hand or there is some tooling that was created to adapt existing equipment. Equipment that was likely expensive. I’m sure the margins aren’t bad but shoot them an email and see how many they sell

Gabe06

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Tell me more about those pin stripes.... Looks 👍🏻 nice

bombast

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You think existing machines just magically prints these things like your 3d printer? It’s likely small batches mostly by hand or there is some tooling that was created to adapt existing equipment. Equipment that was likely expensive. I’m sure the margins aren’t bad but shoot them an email and see how many they sell
They aren't casting these things, or producing a 60,000 dollar polymer mold that has a finite number of produced components it can generate. They're stamping metal, a process selected specifically because its cheap, fast, and can use machines that can be configured to produce one of thousands of things at any given time.

The truth of the matter is the price of this kit is likely completely divorced from its production costs because its effectively a luxury product, as silly as it seems. Price is inelastic - Lowering it to something approaching "cost plus reasonable markup" wont entice cheapskates because they likely think the hard strut is just fine anyway. So they price it high because why not.

There's nothing inherently wrong with this (At least when it comes to something like gas struts), but lets be honest about it.

Sponsored

Adospeed

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ado
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid in Shadow Black
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They are on sale right now down to 137.99. I wonder if they will help with that hood movement that others have talked about?
Ohhh....great thinking as there would be greater support in those mounting spots. Of course if the hood is as thin as gum wrapper, it's all for not. But I like your thinking sir!! 👊 (y)

snowcatxx87

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1290SDR EVO / Tiger 900RP / 300cc Grom / Surron
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Adospeed

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ado
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid in Shadow Black
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Tell me more about those pin stripes.... Looks 👍🏻 nice
Now Gabe, I betcha those pinstripes would cost more than those struts. I predict they're building a Maverick lowrider, and they just kicked it off with those pinstripes. Whittier Blvd, here they come.

flashfearless

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mav Lariat Hybrid,2014 Ford Edge Limited
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Those struts are by the company called red line who are also in the process of fabricating brackets and the proper struts to fit the new Maverick can't imagine they'd be much cheaper than MRT Struts
I've used redline before on my '07 mustang. loved them
Sponsored