First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 maverick fx4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Here's one for you radio nerds. I received a new Anytone AT-778UV HAM and bingfu stubby antenna for Christmas. The install was surprisingly easy and only required two holes for the bracket and some small cuts.

Ford Maverick Mobile HAM radio installed - Writeup & DIY 20211226_152838~2

Ford Maverick Mobile HAM radio installed - Writeup & DIY 20211225_165255

Ford Maverick Mobile HAM radio installed - Writeup & DIY Screenshot_20211226-205920_Amazon Shoppin

Ford Maverick Mobile HAM radio installed - Writeup & DIY Screenshot_20211226-205907_Amazon Shoppin

All the tools needed were

- Allen keys which were supplied with the antenna kit
-an adjustable wrench or socket set
-A knife

I started by mounting the the Antenna to the hood. Pretty straight forward. Tighten the clamp screws on the mount once you have it placed where you like. (I went with the back edge on the hood near the passenger a pillar.) Feed antenna wire threads through the mount, tighten the jamb nut against the mount, and screw the antenna on.

I then fed the antenna wire through this flap on the cowl trim, and tucked the wire along the trim edge until I got to the driver side.

Ford Maverick Mobile HAM radio installed - Writeup & DIY 20211226_210635

Ford Maverick Mobile HAM radio installed - Writeup & DIY 20211226_210644

Ford intuitively placed a grommet to the right side of the brake booster on the firewall which is unused. It's the perfect spot to feed wires through. Especially if you plan on running things like subs or aftermarket fused switch panels.

All you have to do is pop the grommet out from under the dash, and cut a small X in the grommet where you want the wires to feed through, feed them and replace the grommet. I attached the radio power and ground to the battery terminals directly for now, but I plan to get an aux beam 8 gang switch panel later that I can run the radio to along with some offroad lights.

Ford Maverick Mobile HAM radio installed - Writeup & DIY 20211226_210649

These next steps depend on how and where you want to mount your radio. For me, I like the idea of having the radio controls in the same location as the rest of my dash controls so I decided to mount it under the USB ports in the phone cubby since I have a phone mount that charges and holds my phone up higher next to the screen.(no oem wireless pad.) And mounting on the underside of this trim puts the holes In a spot not easily noticed if I decide to take it out later. Be warned that the placement I chose may not be right for everyone, it's worth mentioning; the radio does interfere with the ambient light that shines under the dash into this cubby. But to run this placement, I fed the wires behind the pedals and steering column. (I still need to secure them but I need to get more zip ties first. )

Ford Maverick Mobile HAM radio installed - Writeup & DIY 20211226_210725

From there, I routed the wires behind the side of the center console trim. There's a small screw that holds this trim piece in (next to the accelerator pedal.) and then it just pops in and out with clips. After that I removed the phone cubby mat, where you'll find a small panel that pops out to gain access to the emergency gear selector. I fed the wires through that port, then took a knife and slightly enlarged the pry tab hole on the panel so the wires could fit without interference, although I may end up cutting a small notch on the back of the tab and in the mat as well to keep it sitting flush, but I haven't done that yet. Right now, I have the wires tucked under the mat coming out from behind.

Ford Maverick Mobile HAM radio installed - Writeup & DIY 20211226_210804

At this point, all the wires have been run to where they need to be and all that's left is mounting the brack followed by the radio, after plugging your antenna and power cable in. I put the bracket as far to the left as I could and just in front of the diffuser for the cubby light. You'll note In the above picture that the left screw sits close to the side, but there is just enough room that I can still remove the radio after backing the left screw out and removing the right screw. After I found the placement I wanted, I just marked the trim panel where the bracket mount holes were and used the supplied screws to attach the bracket, then mounted the radio to it. The whole process took me a total of about 1.5 hours and I'm pleased with the results. I can still use that cubby and the radio looks right at home imo.
Sponsored

IPunchCholla

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 E150, 2014 Leaf
Nice job and thank you for the thorough details and pics!

Big Kahuna

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Cool! I’d suggest a different antenna down the road that’s a bit bigger and place it on the roof. Hopefully you have lots of repeaters in your area. Mine are pretty tough to reach without a good antenna. Not much 2 meter traffic in my area.

I’ll be mounting my radios in mine as well, same location likely.

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nice! I don't do HAM, but I love your install and instructions.

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Drill a 3/4" inch hole in the roof and get it over with 😁

73's

Sponsored

psklenar

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rivian R1T
Yeah, that's the path I'm leaning towards too. I'm thinking of mounting my old Diamond SG-7000 at the rear passenger side corner of the roof. Will still fit in the garage that way.

pat----

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

73's
I did that very thing to a brand new 1992 Ranger the first year I was licensed. I used a punch like the one shown below and temporarily removed the high-mounted stop light to access the bottom of the hole (required for use of the punch). It was centered on the cab (right-to-left) and about eight inches forward from the rear of the cab. Perfect position to provide ground plane.

Ford Maverick Mobile HAM radio installed - Writeup & DIY Punch

Clean install, no regrets.

73's

OP
OP
Overland Maverick
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 maverick fx4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks! I will likely get a larger antenna soon, but most of the time, I'm using my radio locally with friends.

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've not been active in a long while, apparently way too long.
I must say I am unfamiliar with Anytone and Bingfu. In my day, the key VHF/UHF players were Icom, Yaesu, Kenwood, and Alinco. And a few Radio Shack offerings. I built a Ten-Tec 2M mobile kit in the mid-90s as they were local.

OP
OP
Overland Maverick
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 maverick fx4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've not been active in a long while, apparently way too long.
I must say I am unfamiliar with Anytone and Bingfu. In my day, the key VHF/UHF players were Icom, Yaesu, Kenwood, and Alinco. And a few Radio Shack offerings. I built a Ten-Tec 2M mobile kit in the mid-90s as they were local.
For the most part they still are the big players. Anytone is a relatively inexpensive option but they offer good value. Chinese radio quality has come a long way in the last 10 year or so.

Sponsored

TCK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetta Sportwagen
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Because being a nerd was so very important to my dad, I made my own key and learned code, got the ham license and sewed the merit badge on my sash…question, while I know my license which I could never locate is lapsed, does it still require Code first? Is a license even required now?

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Because being a nerd was so very important to my dad, I made my own key and learned code, got the ham license and sewed the merit badge on my sash…question, while I know my license which I could never locate is lapsed, does it still require Code first? Is a license even required now?
Tech class does not require code, license still required.
73's

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For the most part they still are the big players. Anytone is a relatively inexpensive option but they offer good value. Chinese radio quality has come a long way in the last 10 year or so.
Right, the consumer electronics world is a lot different overall now than then. Televisions, for instance were dominated by names like Sony and Panasonic.
Korean brand Lucky Goldstar was once considered subpar, has emerged as LG, and there's TCL from China.

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, VB, 2.0 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Here's one for you radio nerds. I received a new Anytone AT-778UV HAM and bingfu stubby antenna for Christmas. The install was surprisingly easy and only required two holes for the bracket and some small cuts.

20211226_152838~2.jpg
Great job. Nice looking install.

Ricstar

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep CJ7
Engine
2.5L Hybrid