Maverick XL Hybrid Owners Info PLZ

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew
Hey XL Hybrid Owners,
Is there anything other than the lack of cruise control (Advanced Cruise Control) or regular, lack of flip down cupholders in the backseat, and lack of SYNC 3 that you wish the XL had? I'm aware of the lack of AWD and that not part of the equation in my mind at this time.

I ask these questions because financially my options point me to an XL even though I would prefer the bells and whistles of a Lariat. I have a 2003 F-150 Lariat 5.4L that was my daily driver til the clock crossed 333,700 miles, now I'm driving an Avenger which is about to roll over 200,000 miles. It's all cloth with an aftermarket Bluetooth stereo w/o Android Auto. I don't mind not having all the bells and whistles as my Lariat had in it's prime. I'm just curious what else I would be giving up by going with the cheaper XL. I know that I would still get remote start via the FordPass app which for the most part a must in Texas summers.

What else would I miss out on that you guys also which the XL came with besides the previously mentioned items above?

My apologies if I rambled on and thank you in advance for any answers and advice.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Raging_Patriot80
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew
If I'm right it comes with Android Auto even though it's a wired connection. But that can be defeated. Other than that information, may I ask why it sucks? Is it complicated, slow or glitchy?

Sponsored

uga

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Having both an XL and a Lariat, I like the XL hybrid, simple, easy, nothing complicated. Its the bang for the buck!

Just do not think the few extras you get with the XLT are worth it and I do not like all the orange trim.

That being said, grab ANY hybrid you can find right, now no matter what color or trim, they are like bricks of gold!

Dan

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I love mine! I use Apple CarPlay so I don’t deal with the built in system much at all. Just a few more features that you honestly will rarely use for a couple grand more really isn’t worth it. Yeah the rims aren’t exactly the nicest but if you don’t like them you can get new ones.

WannaMav

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hey XL Hybrid Owners,
Is there anything other than the lack of cruise control (Advanced Cruise Control) or regular, lack of flip down cupholders in the backseat, and lack of SYNC 3 that you wish the XL had? I'm aware of the lack of AWD and that not part of the equation in my mind at this time.

I ask these questions because financially my options point me to an XL even though I would prefer the bells and whistles of a Lariat. I have a 2003 F-150 Lariat 5.4L that was my daily driver til the clock crossed 333,700 miles, now I'm driving an Avenger which is about to roll over 200,000 miles. It's all cloth with an aftermarket Bluetooth stereo w/o Android Auto. I don't mind not having all the bells and whistles as my Lariat had in it's prime. I'm just curious what else I would be giving up by going with the cheaper XL. I know that I would still get remote start via the FordPass app which for the most part a must in Texas summers.

What else would I miss out on that you guys also which the XL came with besides the previously mentioned items above?

My apologies if I rambled on and thank you in advance for any answers and advice.
Only other thing might be power mirrors (which can get on the XL with the pricey - and constrained - CP360).

Oh, and if someone who constantly requires rear access to the bed, can see where power lock/unlock for the tailgate would be welcome. Otherwise, dealing with the "stone knives and bearskins" method of using a key is in little way cumbersome.

Personally, per your list:

1) Cruise Control* - do not need, do not want.
2) Rear seat cupholder armrest - ambivalent about it, one more crevice potentially collecting dust, grit and debris. FITS slot cupholder(s) available for rear passengers in any case.
3) Sync 3 "Lite" - have experienced no negative or troublesome issues with it thus far.

*Anecdotal, but know three different people driving non-Fords and their cruise control in each case was the very first electronic gizmo to crap out and necessitate expensive repair.

Last edited:

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Very happy with my XL. I added some extra tie-downs, OEM cruise control, and two bed cubbies.

Power mirrors would have been nice, but I’m getting by without them just fine.

One of the biggest joys of an inexpensive truck is the inexpensive part.

mcc63303

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sold 22 Hybrid XL now 24 Hybrid XL, 57 Chevy 454ci
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Things my XL Hybrid didn't have but I wanted.
-
(1)Power Mirrors: Got the CoPilot360 so in doing so got the power mirrors (and extra driving safety)
(2)Cruise Control: I changed the steering wheel switches and programed the modules so now I have Cruise Control (approximately $120 total)
(3)Power Tail Gate Lock: I replaced the manual lock with the Power Lock Assembly and Wire Harness (approximately $140 total)
-
With the savings of not spending for a XLT in addition to the above I've got the following:
FoMoCo "Maverick" front and rear rubber floor mats
FoMoCo "Maverick" bed mat
FoMoCo front and rear mud flaps
FoMoCo bed storage "cubbies" (both sides)
Aftermarket Tonneau Cover (Truxedo Pro X15 canvas soft roll up)
Aftermarket "Spider" hub caps ($50)

Still less than what an XLT would have cost me.
If had gotten the XLT would still have to pay for the bed mat, floor mats, mud flaps and tonneau cover.

Power Seats would be nice along with keyless start but certainly not needed.

Last edited:
Sponsored

OXHB619

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL EB 2.0
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Tailgate lock was mentioned, but you can add that yourself, there is a thread on here about that. Same with Cruise.

TonyS

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I ordered a hybrid XL and for me the biggest reason was I could not stand the looks of the XLT interior. All the orange accents, seat stitching even the damn door handles and air vents with that orange crap. It might surprise the Ford interior design team, but I don't need for the door handles and air vents to be orange to find them nor to ascertain their function.. Then there were the white plastic panels that look like they forgot to paint them. And are sure to be dirt magnets.

The Interior of the XL is "normal" and looks like it belongs in a truck. I'd rather all black/gray instead of some blue plastics, but it's fine. I realize some XLT owners -probably most - love the quirky interior colors and materials of the XLT and to each their own. But it was not for me.

So I would have spent the extra money on an XLT for the cruise control and mag wheels if I could tolerate the interior colors/design. Or if I could get a black/gray interior as an option. But one can buy mag wheels lots of places or wait for a wrecked XLT and get them at the salvage yard. And cruise can be done with an after market kit or with the replace the steering wheel and use forscan to change the settings and enable cruise control. I also plan on having heated seats aftermarket done. Which was the only feature on the lux package I really cared about. The dealership says they have a "sister shop" that will do the seats and cruise for me.

Bigronron

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus rx350
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If I'm right it comes with Android Auto even though it's a wired connection. But that can be defeated. Other than that information, may I ask why it sucks? Is it complicated, slow or glitchy?
All trim levels come with wired android auto/carplyt

WannaMav

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I ordered a hybrid XL and for me the biggest reason was I could not stand the looks of the XLT interior. All the orange accents, seat stitching even the damn door handles and air vents with that orange crap. It might surprise the Ford interior design team, but I don't need for the door handles and air vents to be orange to find them nor to ascertain their function.. Then there were the white plastic panels that look like they forgot to paint them. And are sure to be dirt magnets.

The Interior of the XL is "normal" and looks like it belongs in a truck. I'd rather all black/gray instead of some blue plastics, but it's fine. I realize some XLT owners -probably most - love the quirky interior colors and materials of the XLT and to each their own. But it was not for me.

So I would have spent the extra money on an XLT for the cruise control and mag wheels if I could tolerate the interior colors/design. Or if I could get a black/gray interior as an option. But one can buy mag wheels lots of places or wait for a wrecked XLT and get them at the salvage yard. And cruise can be done with an after market kit or with the replace the steering wheel and use forscan to change the settings and enable cruise control. I also plan on having heated seats aftermarket done. Which was the only feature on the lux package I really cared about. The dealership says they have a "sister shop" that will do the seats and cruise for me.
Thumbs firmly down regarding a black dash.

After being parked in sunlight for any appreciable length of time will radiate heat like a furnace. Also the black tends to highlight any inevitable scuffs. And the muted blue is less jarring to the vision in situations when the dash reflects off the inside of windshield.

As always, YMMV.
Sponsored