First Name
Lonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150, but interested in For Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I currently have a 2018 F-150 crew cab with a 2.7l ecoboost, and I average about 21 mpg. I am considering a Maverick for the improved fuel efficiency and better maneuverability. However, I am concerned about the decreased bed size and cargo space and the lack of towing capacity. My truck now is paid off and I could probably get about $25K-$30K for it, so it would basically be an even trade. What would you guys do? Is it worth the compromise
Sponsored

MostlySafeBear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Eventually) a Ford Truck
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I currently have a 2018 F-150 crew cab with a 2.7l ecoboost, and I average about 21 mpg. I am considering a Maverick for the improved fuel efficiency and better maneuverability. However, I am concerned about the decreased bed size and cargo space and the lack of towing capacity. My truck now is paid off and I could probably get about $25K-$30K for it, so it would basically be an even trade. What would you guys do? Is it worth the compromise
Personally, since I intend to use the truck to pull a camper, until/unless I can get a line on a select few campers that are light enough after driver/passenger/cargo weights, I will likely bite the proverbial bullet and go for a hybrid F-150, even though they're around 2x the cost. For my intended usage, they're the better vehicle, again until/unless I can get one of a select few ultralight campers.

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There is no way for us to advise on this without knowing what your use case is for the F-150. If it is a mall crawler, then the Maverick would suit you fine. If you regularly fill the bed or tow heavy loads.. probably want to pass on that.

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm also coming out of an '18 F150, which I LOVED, but was admittedly way more truck than I needed. Surprisingly, payloads are very similar, and my towing several times a year is usually in the 3-4K range, so the Mav will get it done, tho not nearly as effortless as the F150. I will also miss the interior size & comfort of the F150, but again, the Mav is sufficient.

So, really depends what you need from the truck. If you need lots of room/bed space/towing capacity, better stick with the F150. I'm good with the Mav's punching weight, and look forward to the smaller footprint & better daily practicality/economy. YMMV.

Guardian

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Smartcar,Alfa Romeo Spyder,Pontiac GTO,Taurus SHO
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I'm also coming out of an '18 F150, which I LOVED, but was admittedly way more truck than I needed. Surprisingly, payloads are very similar, and my towing several times a year is usually in the 3-4K range, so the Mav will get it done, tho not nearly as effortless as the F150. I will also miss the interior size & comfort of the F150, but again, the Mav is sufficient.

So, really depends what you need from the truck. If you need lots of room/bed space/towing capacity, better stick with the F150. I'm good with the Mav's punching weight, and look forward to the smaller footprint & better daily practicality/economy. YMMV.
Totally agree with you! I loved my '96 F150 but the Maverick is doing the job!!

Sponsored

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat, '17 Rogue SL, '14 Altima SV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you need the bed size and towing then stay F 150. If not the Maverick may be an option. Do you need to tow more than 2k or 4k (depending on options)? How can anyone tell you what you need on these items?

cavemold

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022 Eco 2.0
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I had 97 f150 v8 . The comparison is pretty night and day to this . This rides 100x smoother better gas etc. I dont miss the extra bad space. My mine was the 2door cab with mini backseats.

NJBob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2003 MR2, 2019 Forrester, 1969 Z/28
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have a 2011 F'150 3.5 ecoboost. Having had a Chevy Luv, Toyota small pickup (before the taco), Chevy S10 and a Dakota. The F-150 is just to damn big and only getting 16.7 MPG. I need to tow which I think the Mav can do. But also need it to transport my elderly Dad to his Doc appointments. We cant get him in the F150.The Mav would give me 90% of my needs. Accompany that with a small utility trailer probably 100%. But again have to see how you use it. If it wasn't for the towing I would have ordered a Hybrid instead of an awd ecoboost.

Bj517

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What do you tow, how much do you haul in the bed, and how often do you do those things? Without answers to those questions, no one can really help answer yours. Everyone's use case is different. Personally I don't tow and have zero need for anything near the size of an F-150. So for me, there are no "compromises."

Probity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Scab 2.7EB, 2017 CR-V
I'm in almost exactly the same situation (except my '18 2.7l EB F150 is a 2wd extended cab with tow package and a 6.5 ft bed). I didn't trip a Mav hybrid order trigger last year because of concerns on actual wait-time for delivery (and think I made the right choice based on the wait times I see on this site).

You'll always wish you had a bigger bed, but what's more important to you - mpg's and maneuverability/garage fitment, or bed size/towing capability? I decided I could live with using my aluminum utility trailer for bulky stuff that won't fit in a Mav bed, and that I can live with a 2000# max. loaded trailer weight for any towing needs. Plus I really like the idea of being able to park a Mav on one side of my garage (I can't do that with my F150).
Sponsored