Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I was lucky enough to be able to test-drive a Maverick before deciding to purchase one... Though perhaps that's not quite true - I had decided I was going to get one, but the test-drive sealed the deal.

A local dealer had a Lariat Eco with ALL the options in Velocity Blue. I will say that from looking at the web site, I was convinced I would not like the VB color, but in person it was quite striking! The Mav was super-easy to get in/out off, I could reach stuff in the bed quite easily, and the Lariat seats (which again from the web site I thought I would hate) were actually very nice-looking in person, and quite comfortable.

I'm not that tall, but grew up driving British sports cars, so I like my legs extended. The result is that in 99% of the cars being sold today, I have the seat in the rear-most position to be comfortable. In the Maverick, I couldn't reach the pedals! And once I got the seat adjusted, I got out and tried the back seat, and was able to fit with reasonable comfort. Yeah, I was man-spreading a bit to be really comfortable, so that would make it crowded for 3-across seating, but that's not an issue for me.

When I hit the throttle, I was truthfully shocked! The EcoBoost acceleration is awesome! I played with hard acceleration several times before settling down to paying attention to other things - it was that much fun. (And so much fun that I realized I should NOT own one - I can't afford that many speeding tickets! So if the hybrid is about 90% of that performance, it's still going to be quite decent.)

The ride and handling was way better than I expected - especially at this price point. I've been driving full-size pickups for years (latest was a Chevy 2500 HD diesel), and the Maverick rides so much better that it's beyond comparison. I'd say it's considerably better than my Prius C as well.

Fit and finish on the one I drove was quite nice. I didn't see anything that seemed "off" as far as interior panels, gaps in the body seams, etc. Obviously the hard plastic isn't as nice as the soft-touch interiors in more expensive vehicles, but it looked better than my Prius C to me.

I liked it so much that I did something I've never done in my life... I actually made an offer of $3K over MSRP for that truck, even though it wasn't a hybrid (which I really prefer), and even though it was Velocity Blue instead of Cyber Orange... No, I didn't get it... The dealer wanted $10K over, and had already declined another person's offer that was $7500 over MSRP. I decided I could wait a while for that much $$$.
Sponsored

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
In the last 9 months I've owned a 2022 Honda CRV Touring Hybrid, a 2022 Ford Bronco Base Sasquatch, 2022 Tesla Model 3 and a 2022 Chevy Tahoe LT.

The Tahoe - the most expensive vehicle - is the nicest and it should be. However I have never been a Chevy fan and wouldn't have bought it (company vehicle) BUT it is seriously impressive and will make me reconsider Chevy down the line.

The rest? There really isn't much to separate the $25k Maverick (I've test driven a few now), the $42k CRV, the $46k Bronco, or the $57k Tesla.

Is the Tesla nicer than the Maverick interior? Hell yeah. Is it $32k nicer? Hell no. Is it worth $57k? Absolutely not - however with 3 small kids I appreciate hard plastics and "vegan" (ie synthetic leatherette) seats that are easily to clean.

If my XL hybrid ever arrives - I'll install a leather wrapped steering wheel, Katzkin heated leather seats, Weathertech floor mats, and front window tint with a clear UV film on the front glass. Buy some of the missing sound proofing from the front fenders and call it a day. That $30k Mav will feel just as good as the Model 3 inside.