Hungry Jack

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rav 4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
With the tailgate up the bumper can be used as a step but with it down the edges (toward either side)you would otherwise use as a step is rounded and going upwards.Can't very well climb that.Am I missing something!ALL other trucks have flat edges or at least a cut out in the bumper to use as a step,I don't see one in any pictures though.Whats up with that!!
I'm with you Bill, I have owned many pickups over my 68 years and they always had about 6 inches on either side off the tailgate to put your foot on and pull yourself up by the bed wall. That was back when trucks and bumpers were made of steel and engineers didn't worry about weight and aerodynamics to up the gas mileage.
Sponsored

theek

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V, Subaru CrossTrek
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'd wait and see until the truck arrives.

Amakrida

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford Maverick Maverick rear bumper (no step) images (6)

Doesn't this fix the problem?

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'd wait and see until the truck arrives.
exactly. with the low step in height and low bed sides height and only 4.5 feet front of cab to tailgate, I think Ford has made this "climbing in" worry a moot point.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Bill

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Kia Rio Cinco
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just did a quick google search for "hitch step when tailgate down". There are actually a lot of very reasonable options.

Here are the 3 that caught my eye, ranging from $90 to $150:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/HitchMate-TruckStep-for-2-in-Receivers/1002690334
https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Step/Brophy/RHS2.html
https://tradesmenproducts.com/shop/swinger-step

Bestop even makes one that mounts to the corner bumper mount, so you can use it like the factory bumper steps you're talking about, but it's a tad pricier at just over $200.
https://realtruck.com/p/bestop-trekstep-tailgate-step/bes-75307-15/

I agree that it would be nice if this was a factory option, but it's good that there are aftermarket alternatives.
Thanks,Bill

Hungry Jack

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rav 4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
exactly. with the low step in height and low bed sides height and only 4.5 feet front of cab to tailgate, I think Ford has made this "climbing in" worry a moot point.
Your right. Lets get real. This is not a TRUCK. Trucks have frames and are made for rough use. This is nothing more than a SUV with the back end cut off and made into a bed. Even Hyundai won't call the Santa Cruz a truck. It's just a SUV with a convenient way to carry dirty and tall items without destroying the inside cabin. That's the reason I purchased the Maverick.

There is one other reason. Apparently, according to what the grandkids learned in school, I single handedly have destroyed the Earth's environment and need to buy electric vehicles to correct my bad behavior.

Last edited:

Scooter66

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford F-150 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
yeah you are missing something, ALL other trucks do NOT have that. It's only been a fairly recent invention of the last couple decades anyways. People made due without for decades before that. This truck is only 30.5 inches tall at the opened tailgate! There's plenty of work arounds for your stated "problems" if you put a little thought into it. I'm 63 with bad back, 1 replaced knee and the other headed for replacement in next few years and this has never been an issue for me. :unsure:
Ford Maverick Maverick rear bumper (no step) 1625759791774

flip em over and “problem “ solved

motoretro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subie
1625759791774.jpeg

flip em over and “problem “ solved
I use one of the old steel milk crates when loading a motorcycle. Its placed next to the ramp, allowing me to get a step up in making that final push into the bed. I like the steel ones for this as they don't slide around on concrete like a plastic item.

Amakrida

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
not with the tailgate down, which is what I think is the underlying gripe here for some.
Ah. I guess that makes sense. I'm not too worried about it.

Sponsored

Maveriac

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT AWD, Ford F150 Lariat 4WD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Solution! Go buy an $85,000 GMC pickup like my neighbor, then it can play music to you while you dance up the steps into the bed of your pickup.

There is an old saying; "Some people would bitch if they got hung with a new rope".

That depicts quie a few people who post questions and comments in this forum.

Do I hear an AMEN for the Ford Maverick?

LeersMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Maximus GP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PriusV, Sonata PHEV, F-50 Mavrick Lariat Hybrid FE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hitch steps don't work if the tailgate is down though. This does, although I'd probably install a tailgate damper too:
Looks good. Sounds good. But not calling Australia.

Criss944

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Criss
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverodo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I have a 05 Silverado. The tailgate is 31" high. When I was 61, I found that was too high to step up on, So I bought tailgate step from JC Whitney. At 78 I don't like sitting on the tailgate then crawling to my knees and pulling myself up to my feet.
A DeeZee bumper step or Bestop step would be nice. I will probably get a small folding step stool to keep in the bed.