First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Kia Rio Cinco
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
With the tailgate up the bumper can be used as a step but with it down the edges (toward either side)you would otherwise use as a step is rounded and going upwards.Can't very well climb that.Am I missing something!ALL other trucks have flat edges or at least a cut out in the bumper to use as a step,I don't see one in any pictures though.Whats up with that!!
Sponsored

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
With the tailgate up the bumper can be used as a step but with it down the edges (toward either side)you would otherwise use as a step is rounded and going upwards.Can't very well climb that.Am I missing something!ALL other trucks have flat edges or at least a cut out in the bumper to use as a step,I don't see one in any pictures though.Whats up with that!!
Look at Ford's photos and videos. Folks are just easily reaching over the side of the bed.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Sponsored

DavidS

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Kia Forte
That bumper step is a trim level feature on other trucks. Base models never have them.

charlie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F150
I'm old too😜
And according to your bio you drive a Subaru. And theek has a Honda and a Subaru. So it seems you guys have limited experience climbing into the back of a pickup.
I climb into the back of my truck to get bags of concrete/mortar mix, or concrete blocks, or anything else to heavy to lift over the side. I also climb into the bed of my truck to sweep it out after bringing home a load of compost or mulch.
And yes, all of these can be done by "easily reaching over the side of the bed". But a lot of us discovered the hard way that when you reach over the side of the bed, any zipper, rivet, button, buckle, or anything else you wear that's harder than the paint, is going to scratch the paint.
So that's why we climb into the bed of the truck.

Last edited:

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
And according to your bio you drive a Subaru. And theek has a Honda and a Subaru. So it seems you guys have limited experience climbing into the back of a pickup.
I climb into the back of my truck to get bags of concrete/mortar mix, or concrete blocks, or anything else to heavy to lift over the side. I also climb into the bed of my truck to sweep it out after bringing home a load of compost or mulch.
And yes, all of these can be done by "easily reaching over the side of the bed". But a lot of us discovered the hard way that when you reach over the side of the bed, any zipper, rivet, button, buckle, or anything else you wear that's harder than the paint, is going to scratch the paint.
So that's why we climb into the bed of truck.
I am chastised.

charlie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F150
Why would you need a step for a vehicle so low to the ground? A 4"11 woman can reach over the bed.
Not unless she's got really long arms. The lift over height of the bed sidewall is 50.4" (4ft 2in).

Sponsored

Hot Runr Guy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Edge SEL, 2024 Lariat AWD BAP 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What about adding a fold-down step to the inside of the tailgate, like this marine one?

HRG

Ford Maverick Maverick rear bumper (no step) step.JPG

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
yeah you are missing something, ALL other trucks do NOT have that. It's only been a fairly recent invention of the last couple decades anyways. People made due without for decades before that. This truck is only 30.5 inches tall at the opened tailgate! There's plenty of work arounds for your stated "problems" if you put a little thought into it. I'm 63 with bad back, 1 replaced knee and the other headed for replacement in next few years and this has never been an issue for me. :unsure:

medgar

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hitch steps don't work if the tailgate is down though. This does, although I'd probably install a tailgate damper too:
I think when everyone can see the truck and its uniqueness hands on ( For people who werent around or forget what a true small truck is). They will realize you dont need all these aids motor companies have added to be able to use today’s monster trucks. That is/was the beauty of the compact truck

My 80 year old grandfather would sitdown on a lowered tailgate and pivot around in his chevy luv and he would be in the bed of the truck. No upgradable options needed.

theek

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V, Subaru CrossTrek
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The lift over height is 30 inches. I've got chairs that height.
Sponsored