First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Edge
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
With the tailgate up the bumper can be used as a step but with it down the edges (toward either side)you would otherwise use as a step is rounded and going upwards.Can't very well climb that.Am I missing something!ALL other trucks have flat edges or at least a cut out in the bumper to use as a step,I don't see one in any pictures though.Whats up with that!!
I'm puzzled by the overall design.

theek

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V, Subaru CrossTrek
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That just might fit under the seat.

dceggert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion, 2019 Ranger, 2024 Maverick ordered
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Sponsored

Traveling Man

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mavrick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

With the tailgate up the bumper can be used as a step but with it down the edges (toward either side)you would otherwise use as a step is rounded and going upwards.Can't very well climb that.Am I missing something!ALL other trucks have flat edges or at least a cut out in the bumper to use as a step,I don't see one in any pictures though.Whats up with that!!
I step one foot on the top of the tire and pull myself up and step in the bed with the other.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sponsored

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Come on people, some of the replies are getting mean.

OP
OP

Bill

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Kia Rio Cinco
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Looked at a pic of a Santa Cruz and the rear bumper has cut outs for a step on either side.Whats up Ford???

motoretro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subie
I think when everyone can see the truck and its uniqueness hands on ( For people who werent around or forget what a true small truck is). They will realize you dont need all these aids motor companies have added to be able to use today’s monster trucks. That is/was the beauty of the compact truck

My 80 year old grandfather would sitdown on a lowered tailgate and pivot around in his chevy luv and he would be in the bed of the truck. No upgradable options needed.
Not just the compact trucks, my favorite trucks are the 67-72 C10 GM trucks and the dropped tailgate height is very low in a 2wd version. I've owned (4) and have loaded motorcycles in all of them very easily due to the low gate height. These were all sizes of bikes and upwards of 575lbs. I'm 6' tall and use a 8' long 2x8 w/ metal ramp lip. My last, easy to load truck was a 09 2WD Tacoma.

Last edited:

AceGoliath

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT, 21 Bronco OBX SAS, 10 Fusion SE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
On my F150, which is much taller, I use the top of the tires as a step. I would assume the gap between the bed and the wheel of the Maverick is big enough to fit a foot in there. I’m 5’9”. I grab a hold of the top/side of the bed to help step up onto the tire.

Works for grabbing something real quick out of the bed, climbing in or out of the bed, or even working under the hood.

DavidS

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Kia Forte
I just did a quick google search for "hitch step when tailgate down". There are actually a lot of very reasonable options.

Here are the 3 that caught my eye, ranging from $90 to $150:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/HitchMate-TruckStep-for-2-in-Receivers/1002690334
https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Step/Brophy/RHS2.html
https://tradesmenproducts.com/shop/swinger-step

Bestop even makes one that mounts to the corner bumper mount, so you can use it like the factory bumper steps you're talking about, but it's a tad pricier at just over $200.
https://realtruck.com/p/bestop-trekstep-tailgate-step/bes-75307-15/

I agree that it would be nice if this was a factory option, but it's good that there are aftermarket alternatives.
Sponsored