Shecster

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1930 Model A Ford - 1971 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have watched various Maverick videos and the Ford statements and publications but I still have one unanswered question. Is the rear bumper steel or a plastic type material?
if we order the tow package or order a trailer hitch, does that provide for a steel bumper?
Ford made a point of noting that the new Ranger has a steel front bumper but I am presuming the Maverick unibody design will be plastic both front and rear.

Simply asking for a confirmation and input....
Thanks in advance as I look forward to your responses. ✔🇺🇸
Sponsored

SpacemanSpiff

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tyreese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-15 Eagle
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have seen repeatedly that both front and rear bumpers are steel. I think it must be steel inner, with plastic aero on the outside of the bumpers.

OP
OP
Shecster

Shecster

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm not sure I believe this, but the 40-page esource book indicates steel front & rear bumpers,,,

HRG
Thank you kindly. I saw that one also but I hope we can get clarity if it is capped by a plastic or aero style cap.

Thanks again

OP
OP
Shecster

Shecster

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Perhaps on a video, someone can just knock on the rear bumper so we can hear and see what it’s made of. Just a thought.....
Several videos show the bumper somewhat close but make no move toward feeling the texture etc.

Sponsored

Up an down

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 F-150, '20 Fusion
Perhaps on a video, someone can just knock on the rear bumper so we can hear and see what it’s made of. Just a thought.....
Several videos show the bumper somewhat close but make no move toward feeling the texture etc.
What you see is a plastic cap covering a ugly and functional steel bumper

Xtreme Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota
I’d presume, and just by looking at them, they are front and rear plastic bumper cover over steel super structure.

HarrisonFordMaverick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
What you’re seeing is the bumper cover, not the bumper itself. The cover is likely some form of ABS plastic, but I’m heavily interested to see what aftermarket companies may offer for different bumpers in the future.

OP
OP
Shecster

Shecster

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What you’re seeing is the bumper cover, not the bumper itself. The cover is likely some form of ABS plastic, but I’m heavily interested to see what aftermarket companies may offer for different bumpers in the future.
I agree and I am with you on the after market ( hopefully) providing a nice solid steel bumper for the rear as I feel that is what it deserves and needs....

Thanks -

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I agree and I am with you on the after market ( hopefully) providing a nice solid steel bumper for the rear as I feel that is what it deserves and needs....Thanks -
I have a steel rear bumper on the Ram.

Not only is it heavier, reducing performance and fuel economy, but if you bump into something solid and dent it backing up, its pretty much dented for life. The thickness they use back there isn't like the doors where they can do paintless repairs and knock it out, you pretty much just have to replace them which isn't cheap. Plastic bumper by contrast tend to deform and then just pop right back into shape, and you can buff out most minor scratches or have them touched up with filler and repainted, and replacements are cheaper.

Only real advantage of steel that I can think of is that if you hit something soft like another vehicle, sometimes you can't even tell on your own truck, it won't rip off if you drag it on something which could be useful offroading, and you can mount accessories to it since its so beefy.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Shecster

Shecster

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Update -
Car karma just happened to us. We were in stop and go traffic and WHAM - Honda Accord submarined under the rear of our Toyota Highlander bumper. Thankfully no one hurt just the ego of the inattentive Honda driver.

My body shop guy said it did exactly what it was designed to do. Absorbed the impact with cuts and a crack - but no other damage. He will be replacing the bumper cover and steel and foam energy absorber.... paint and r&r comes to $1188.00 paid for by the now attentive and remorseful Honda owners insurance.
So I believe as many have stated the Maverick is utilizing this same modern version of bumpers. It works and weighs less so that makes sense. As an old guy, I believe in my mind that I am still rolling around in one of my 48-54 Chevy trucks push starting folks bumper to steel bumper ( after we checked to see if they lined up somewhat 😏) and pulled everything in the world with the diamond plate steel Barden rear bumper and hitch ball.

Time moves on and so will I ............ 🇺🇸
Thanks folks for the solid input.......Be well

Yar

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid XLT Lux - VB
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Update -
Car karma just happened to us. We were in stop and go traffic and WHAM - Honda Accord submarined under the rear of our Toyota Highlander bumper. Thankfully no one hurt just the ego of the inattentive Honda driver.
On the "Wham Bam Teslacam" YT Channel, they call that the #HondaBump
Sponsored