First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Of course, but that doesn't change the payload disproportionately. If you use your door sticker as a reference, you'll notice your max axle weights, when combined, are greater than the max allowable GVWR by 250#'s. This allows some variation of load balance, FR to RR. So, with just you sitting in the front, your front GVWR will likely be under (assuming you are not a "large" person...), allowing you to max your RR GVWR, and still be under total GVWR.
Which comes out to ~1300lbs, its the post you dismissed as overthinking it by doing actual math, lol! They wouldn't give you two stickers and warn you to abide by them if you were just supposed to pass gas in the direction of the second sticker and ignore it.
Sponsored

dalewilbanks

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma, Focus Titanium, Tuscon Limited, RAV4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No that is not how bed load capacity is calculated.

The sticker in the driver door frame is the max bed load capacity WITHOUT anyone in the vehicle. You must subtract the driver's weight and the weight of anyone or anything else in the Cab.
So what you're saying, is some of us will have a Max Bed Capacity a couple of hundred pounds less than others. :LOL:

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Which comes out to ~1300lbs, its the post you dismissed as overthinking it by doing actual math, lol! They wouldn't give you two stickers and warn you to abide by them if you were just supposed to pass gas in the direction of the second sticker and ignore it.
San-Gen-Shugi my friend. Until you weigh your truck, it's hypothetical. I'll maintain that, based on actual weight, the payload sticker will be within RR GVWR.

FirstFord

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Technically slightly overloaded, due to weight of driver as well, courtesy of BlakesCars2:

Cue low-rider music... 🎵
If you're going to do a lot of this (videos), you might want to invest in one of these:
Cellphone Steadicam

It'll make your walk-arounds a lot smoother.

Dallas Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Sponsored

Probity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Scab 2.7EB, 2017 CR-V
San-Gen-Shugi my friend. Until you weigh your truck, it's hypothetical. I'll maintain that, based on actual weight, the payload sticker will be within RR GVWR.
Cool, I learned what the "3 realities principle" is. "There is no substitute for direct observation". Very zen-like....

You're right, gotta weigh the truck first to know what actual front GAW load and rear GAW load is before other "payload" is applied. Then with xxxx lbs in the bed (assuming xxxx lbs = doorjamb payload rating), re-weigh the truck, what is new front GAW load and rear GAW load, and are they less than or greater than front and rear GAWR's from federal safety cert. label.

But I'm not as confident as you are that if you did that (put sticker value payload in the bed) you'd still observe on the scales a rear GAW that's less than the finite rear GAWR value.

An extreme and totally unrealistic example: First weigh your truck with just you in it. Get your measured GVW, front GAW and rear GAW numbers. Assume your payload sticker is exactly 1500 lbs. Now place a 12" W x 12" L x 25.5" H block of lead (~1500 lbs) in the bed directly over the rear "axle" of an AWD Maverick. Put it back on the scales and see what new measured front GAW and rear GAW values are. A dollar to donuts the "new" measured front GAW is less than what it was with the truck empty (duh). And the "new" rear GAW may be greater than the rear GAWR from the door sticker.

Remove lead from bed. Now, seal off all edges and corners of the bed, and fill the bed with ~180 gallons of fresh water (~1500 lbs). Weigh the truck again. Dollar to donuts the "new" measured front GAW is again less than it was when the truck was empty (but not as much less as it was with the lead). And the "new" measured rear GAW may again be greater than the sticker rear GAWR (but it will be less than what was measured with lead in the bed).

Ford sort of says this in the owners manual at the end of the Load Carrying section:
Ford Maverick Maverick payload capacity maxed out w/ 1500lbs in bed - test by owner load1.JPG

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Cool, I learned what the "3 realities principle" is. "There is no substitute for direct observation". Very zen-like....

You're right, gotta weigh the truck first to know what actual front GAW load and rear GAW load is before other "payload" is applied. Then with xxxx lbs in the bed (assuming xxxx lbs = doorjamb payload rating), re-weigh the truck, what is new front GAW load and rear GAW load, and are they less than or greater than front and rear GAWR's from federal safety cert. label.

But I'm not as confident as you are that if you did that (put sticker value payload in the bed) you'd still observe on the scales a rear GAW that's less than the finite rear GAWR value.

An extreme and totally unrealistic example: First weigh your truck with just you in it. Get your measured GVW, front GAW and rear GAW numbers. Assume your payload sticker is exactly 1500 lbs. Now place a 12" W x 12" L x 25.5" H block of lead (~1500 lbs) in the bed directly over the rear "axle" of an AWD Maverick. Put it back on the scales and see what new measured front GAW and rear GAW values are. A dollar to donuts the "new" measured front GAW is less than what it was with the truck empty (duh). And the "new" rear GAW may be greater than the rear GAWR from the door sticker.

Remove lead from bed. Now, seal off all edges and corners of the bed, and fill the bed with ~180 gallons of fresh water (~1500 lbs). Weigh the truck again. Dollar to donuts the "new" measured front GAW is again less than it was when the truck was empty (but not as much less as it was with the lead). And the "new" measured rear GAW may again be greater than the sticker rear GAWR (but it will be less than what was measured with lead in the bed).

Ford sort of says this in the owners manual at the end of the Load Carrying section:
load1.JPG
For sure. Where the load is centered plays a significant role in the FR/RR split.

Regardless, if I ever get a Mav, I will abide by the yellow payload sticker when determining how much I can carry in the back, minus myself & other stuff, of course,just like every other truck I've owned.

phobiarg

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Our 2017 F150 XLT Crew Cab 4x4 2.7EB has a door sticker capacity of 1490lb. Our Maverick XL AWD 2.0EB has a door sticker capacity of 1499lb. Some how our mini truck has more payload than our half ton....

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Our 2017 F150 XLT Crew Cab 4x4 2.7EB has a door sticker capacity of 1490lb. Our Maverick XL AWD 2.0EB has a door sticker capacity of 1499lb. Some how our mini truck has more payload than our half ton....
That is pretty crazy. My F150 was a bit less than yours, 1460 if I recall.... Don't know where my imaginary Mav will fall, considerably less than yours being a high option Lariat. The fact they are even close speaks well to the packaging of the Mav.

And so far, based on videos & reviews, it appears the Mav handles it's max capacities quite well.

The 4K tow limit is the one area I will be pushing. I have a BX Kubota T/L/M on an aluminum tandem flatbed that comes in right at 4K. I expect I'll need to slow down a bit vs. my F150! I only pull this 3-4 times a year, so I'm OK with any adjustments necessary. Will be fun to see how the Mav handles it.

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That is pretty crazy. My F150 was a bit less than yours, 1460 if I recall.... Don't know where my imaginary Mav will fall, considerably less than yours being a high option Lariat. The fact they are even close speaks well to the packaging of the Mav.

And so far, based on videos & reviews, it appears the Mav handles it's max capacities quite well.

The 4K tow limit is the one area I will be pushing. I have a BX Kubota T/L/M on an aluminum tandem flatbed that comes in right at 4K. I expect I'll need to slow down a bit vs. my F150! I only pull this 3-4 times a year, so I'm OK with any adjustments necessary. Will be fun to see how the Mav handles it.
The same youtuber just added a video towing over 4K.

Sponsored

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think where folks might get into trouble is the heavier (and taller) single axle rigs, they tend to wag more than tandems or a dolly set-up like in the video. I would also not be limit towing without trailer brakes.

IEZ69

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 kia niro 2022 Ford Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think this video was meant as a seat-of-the-pants, here's what it looks like doing real-world stuff that most of us will do once a year or so in the life of our trucks. From that perspective, it was useful and informative. How many $30k-ish sedans or SUVs can do that?
I did close to that in my old pt cruiser. I carried about 1300 in mulch plus me. I had the seats folded down. God that car was terrible except for that

OP
OP
JASmith

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So the "too long; didn't watch" version is that it performed fine, plenty of power, but in his opinion compared to other trucks he felt 4K was pushing it, and 3.5K lbs is where he'd max out.

Most likely its because for 4K I'm pretty sure you're meant to be using a braked trailer only.

deadeye

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So upon further research, I think the first video was actually quite overloaded. Looks like you have to pick the weakest link when loading, as they list maximums for the front and rear as well, so ideally some of that load would be tossed in the passenger footwell and fold the seats up and put in the back as well to balance it out more, and not all in the back.

Capture.JPG
Exactly, you must not exceed any of the weight ratings including Front GAWR, Rear GAWR, GVWR, and GCWR.

James L. Harrison

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariot
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Don't worry, that's just because the camera can't properly handle the range of brightness across the scene. In person the screen is far brighter and completely usable in broad daylight.
THANKS!!! BTW; I just found this [pc problems]...
Sponsored