Sponsored

Smity

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
The Maverick's supposed to be getting an off-road package. (y)

https://fordauthority.com/2021/02/r...m-possibly-timberline-in-the-works-exclusive/

Rugged Ford Maverick Trim, Possibly Timberline

The name of the rugged trim has yet to be locked in, but it might end up taking on the Timberline moniker like the upcoming Ford Explorer and Ford Expedition. For the sake of clarity, weā€™ll tentatively refer to this forthcoming model as the Maverick Timberline in this report.

What we know as of this writing is that the model will offer upgrades similar to the upcoming Explorer Timberline and Expedition Timberline, which are expected for the 2021 and 2022 model years, respectively.

Sources indicate that the Maverick Timberline will feature a differently tuned suspension along with wheels that will have an identical spoke pattern and finish as seen on both of the aforementioned models. Wrapping the blacked-out wheels will be a set of Pirelli Scorpion tires on the Maverick.

As Ford Authority was the first to report, the upcoming Ford Explorer Timberline prototypes have been spotted with several enhancements over their pavement-focused counterparts, like front and rear fascia modifications designed to improve the front and rear approach angles. Those exterior tweaks also included a Timberline-exclusive badge, in addition to orange accents featured on the front end. Itā€™s currently unclear whether the Maverick Timerbline will feature trim-specific fascias to distinguish itself from the rest of the lineup.

The upcoming Maverick is part of The Blue Ovalā€™s offensive into light duty off-road models. The plan includes vehicles like the 2021 Ford Bronco Sport, Explorer Timberline, Expedition Timberline, and future Ford Fusion Active. These vehicles are being envisioned for active lifestyle folks looking to take their vehicles to remote destinations.

The Bronco Sport and Maverick will share the Ford C2 platform, with the Maverick set to go into production alongside the Bronco Sport at the Ford Hermosillo Assembly plant later this year.
Sponsored

ElMaverick

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Engine
Undecided
While I'd take the Timberline model, I do find it weird that they would Stray from the tremor moniker like the f150 and ranger, or is the Timberline supposed to fit above/below that?

Also anyone else hate how everything on the Ford b&p is tied to packages? They show optional wheels but if you select them you need to add $2500 for a whole useless package when I just want the wheels, hopefully they break it down to more single accessories like on the Broncos

MarcusBrody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect, BMW 318ti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is basically exactly what I want, but I do think it somewhat odd that they aren't using something like FX4 nomenclature to tie it to the rest of the truck line or Badlands etc. nomenclature to tie it to the broncos. I don't think of the Explorer or Expedition as the obvious family memberes of this truck.

Also, if they're going to make a Ford Fusion Active, can we get a Transit Connect Active?

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Add all these fancy options and the Maverick price will quickly exceed that of the Ranger. I hope Ford will also produce a base Maverick close to the $20k mark we heard about, a simple work truck. There's nothing like that in the market right now. If I wanted to spend $30k+ there are plenty of other options already.

Sponsored

MarcusBrody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Ranger comes in at 35795 with the basic XL trim, crew cab, and 4x4, and off road package but no other options. The cheapest 4x4 crew cab is 32270. With the SuperCab, the lowest trim 4x4 is 29870. The absolute base spec is 26000. I would guess that the Maverick will come in at about 5k below those marks optimistically. Ford likes to speak of prices without the unavoidable destination charge, so I'll bet that the real base model will be around 21k and packages like this will be above that, maybe 5k less than similarly placed Rangers

The base Escape is at ~26k and goes to 37.5k (without adding little options). The Bronco Sport starts a bit higher, but has less of a range (partially because it's always AWD). I'd expect the Maverick to have a similar spread to the Escape, but we will see. IT might get more varied option packages.

J_Garn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Edge
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Ranger comes in at 35795 with the basic XL trim, crew cab, and 4x4, and off road package but no other options. The cheapest 4x4 crew cab is 32270. With the SuperCab, the lowest trim 4x4 is 29870...."
I think you're probably on the right track with this pricing. They'll likely make the most basic package under $20K to wow people, but get that sticker much higher much more quickly once the customer starts adding in fairly standard creature comforts. Before they know it they're in for over $30k with all the fun accessories.

That being said, I still won't play the "well for only $5k more you can get a Ranger!". Yeah, having something "more capable" is very nice, but it'll still be larger, less efficient, and less ideal vehicle for what I need it for. The dimensions alone add/take away a lot of value for me. Also, $5,000 is still $5,000! That's a whole lotta cash. It's not all apples to apples in my eyes. If I can get a 4WD Maverick with larger engine for ~$27k, I'll be more than satisfied. The Brocks and Chads can keep their Raptors.

Xtreme Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota
It makes sense to capture a broad customer base by offering a wide range of trim levels to suit many different peoples needs. Not many people on this forum, but all seem to have different needs they are hoping this product will fill. I could see this being a decent all-around product from basic FWD to adventure AWD to street AWD sport truck type enthusiasts. With such broad potential target market, I could see a price swing of $20K to nearing $40K, a "Maverick for everyone", basically. I could see Ford having a nice product, and hoping their launch and timing work well for my particular situation.

ghost1986

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Grand Marquis
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I used to be able to option out a Ranger exactly how I wanted for $31k. That was base trim, 4x4 and a locking rear diff added (in the always preferred extended cab obviously). Now I dont see the option-ability for the locker without the FX4 package which sucks so now its looking like a good Ranger build for me is right around $34k. Wish I didnt have to get the FX4 package for the locker, the steel wheels look infinitely better.

So for the Maverick, Id have to be around $25-$26k with AWD and the 2.0 ecoboost in a super basic trim to be happy price wise. If they cant do that Ill just try to go base as hell probably. Give me the front wheel drive and the 1.5 ecoboost I suppose. If it comes too close to the Ranger pricing then there's no point for this thing. The Ranger isnt much bigger and its more capable in every single respect.

My number one priority is getting a 2.0 over the 1.5. Its just a better engine. AWD I can take or leave, that doesnt matter to me. Front wheel drive will get you anywhere you need to go, just ask my old beater hatchbacks I used to own. Haha.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc

MarcusBrody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think you're probably on the right track with this pricing. They'll likely make the most basic package under $20K to wow people, but get that sticker much higher much more quickly once the customer starts adding in fairly standard creature comforts. Before they know it they're in for over $30k with all the fun accessories.

That being said, I still won't play the "well for only $5k more you can get a Ranger!". Yeah, having something "more capable" is very nice, but it'll still be larger, less efficient, and less ideal vehicle for what I need it for. The dimensions alone add/take away a lot of value for me. Also, $5,000 is still $5,000! That's a whole lotta cash. It's not all apples to apples in my eyes. If I can get a 4WD Maverick with larger engine for ~$27k, I'll be more than satisfied. The Brocks and Chads can keep their Raptors.
I'm with you. I generally want the smallest, most efficient vehicle that will comfortably serve my needs 95% and maybe less comfortably up through 99% of them. I'm hoping that the Maverick slides right into that spot, but we shall see!

Sponsored

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Probably ought not invoke the name of the competition here but to take a risk, should Ford price the Maverick too high it will be close to what the expected price of the Hyundai Santa Cruz is reported to be.

Xtreme Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota
I used to be able to option out a Ranger exactly how I wanted for $31k. That was base trim, 4x4 and a locking rear diff added (in the always preferred extended cab obviously). Now I dont see the option-ability for the locker without the FX4 package which sucks so now its looking like a good Ranger build for me is right around $34k. Wish I didnt have to get the FX4 package for the locker, the steel wheels look infinitely better.

So for the Maverick, Id have to be around $25-$26k with AWD and the 2.0 ecoboost in a super basic trim to be happy price wise. If they cant do that Ill just try to go base as hell probably. Give me the front wheel drive and the 1.5 ecoboost I suppose. If it comes too close to the Ranger pricing then there's no point for this thing. The Ranger isnt much bigger and its more capable in every single respect.

My number one priority is getting a 2.0 over the 1.5. Its just a better engine. AWD I can take or leave, that doesnt matter to me. Front wheel drive will get you anywhere you need to go, just ask my old beater hatchbacks I used to own. Haha.
You should still be able to option Rear Locker separate from FX4. It is hidden under Exterior Options > Rear Axle Ratios, directly after wheel options.

If you look at price comparisons, may as well just skip the Ranger and go basic F-150 with that line of thought as it would be more capable than Ranger.

In addition, letā€™s not forget the Ranger is nearing is next generation. Next generation will surely be more expensive. Price creep. Average transaction prices will probably be $35K, $45K and $55K for Maverick, Ranger and F-150 respectively in a couple years. There will always be price overlaps. There is always someone who values size over other certain capabilities. This is why we have $38K compact vehicles as well as their base counter-part trim levels when compared to their midsize competition.

Last edited:

ghost1986

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Grand Marquis
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You should still be able to option Rear Locker separate from FX4. It is hidden under Exterior Options > Rear Axle Ratios, directly after wheel options.

If you look at price comparisons, may as well just skip the Ranger and go basic F-150 with that line of thought as it would be more capable than Ranger.

In addition, letā€™s not forget the Ranger is nearing is next generation. Next generation will surely be more expensive. Price creep. Average transaction prices will probably be $35K, $45K and $55K for Maverick, Ranger and F-150 respectively in a couple years. There will always be price overlaps. There is always someone who values size over other certain capabilities. This is why we have $38K compact vehicles as well as their base counter-part trim levels when compared to their midsize competition.
AW SWEET. I couldnt find the rear diff lock separate when i did my real quick search earlier and figured they just tossed it into the FX4 package only. Thats awesome. Ok, my ideal Ranger is still $31k then. For the F150 comment, I DO like the F150 too but its just getting too pricey at that point. Ideal F150 for me is around $38k for a regular cab optioned out to how Id want a beefy truck like that. Thats too much, anything over $30k is just hard to stomach for me. Prices are just idiotic because of all this unwanted standard safety nonsense they require nowadays.

So if we do follow this pattern of prices logically my ideal Maverick is going to be $24k, as it represents a $7k price decrease. My logic is 100% sound, dont argue it. Obvious sarcasm. But yea, that basically just confirms for me the Maverick will have to be around the $24-25k mark optioned exactly how Id want it or its going to be a hard sell for me. Hopefully they announce it soon because if i did go the Ranger route I want the current gen body style for damn sure over that monstrosity they're teasing for the next gen.

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
"Packages" is what drives me nuts. You want a simple upgrade of one thing and you must buy an overpriced package which includes all kinds of crap you don't want or need. Sure, I can understand compatibilities like engine/transmission combos but for other things you might be best to add your own aftermarket parts to a base model.
Sponsored