Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT, Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
EV = no thanks.

Not waiting in line for an hour to charge my car. Then waiting another 30+ minutes for it to charge. Life is already short. YMMV.
That's the thing for me. I can fill my tank in 20 minutes at the Costco, and that includes waiting in line. Even at a supercharger, that 20 minutes will get me, what, a 30 percent charge?

No thanks. I can always make more money. I can't make more time.

People need to decouple EV's and gas stations. The most likely reality is that you will be charging at home, while you are sleeping, and not at a charging station waiting obscene amounts of time. There are very few people that charging time will be more than an anecdotal issue. Range anxiety is another. When you charge at home every night, 250 - 300 miles of range is more than adequate for the vast majority of people.
You're assuming everyone can plug them in at home. Now, if you've got a single family home, you can. What about people who live in condos or apartments? There MIGHT be one or two chargers for the whole complex and they sure won't be allowed to hang 200 foot, if not longer, extension cords from their apartment to their cars.

Until that gets solved, EVs will be a niche vehicle.
Sponsored

Last edited:

JohnDLG

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Could they be doing EV line = Lightning and PHEV = Thunder? It’d be a weird marketing move, but I couldn’t tell if the article rules that option out.
PHEV makes more sense for America right now. No mandates yet to go all electric and the Lithium supply could be stretched farther. Living in Texas PHEV makes more sense, electric in town gas for going to other cities.

landscpdesgnr

First Name
liz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2022 Mav XLT Lux CP360 & Ford Fusion 2014
It depends on if they are just plugging in to house current or if they had a quick charger installed. I'd like to know how you are supposed to evacuate an entire city as with Hurricane Katrina if everyone is driving EV's. Hybrid seems the best way forward for now.

ETA especially if the hurricane knocks out the power grid.
As someone who has lived in FL for 24 yrs, gone w/o power for 24 days straight in 2004 and countless other times w/o power since, one of the few things FL has going for it was make it law that gas stations, grocery stores and other essential businesses must have back up generators ( dual fuel sources too). I have been researching EV's for quite a long time and in doing so have found almost a dozen fast chargers within 4 mi of my house. Going beyond a 4 mi radius are a few hundred chargers, inc 2 Tesla Super Chargers 5 mi away, this is north Orlando burbs. They are at gas stations, shopping plaza's, grocery stores, colleges & universities (all have solar powered). Take a look at charging maps for Miami & Tampa they are covered in EV chargers. I have 240v slots avail on my breaker board (you get to be an expert in all things power in FL) for a garage charger which is plenty for an overnight full charge. I'm guessing someone who can't fully charge in 8 hrs is running 110v only. A friend in a condo building has a neighbor running an extension cord from their condo out to the parking lot to charge their EV LOL nowhere near ideal w voltage over distance in a non-10 gauge cord! With planning ahead, which if you dare to live where a hurricane can hit, you better learn that skill, you can evac w an EV.

landscpdesgnr

First Name
liz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2022 Mav XLT Lux CP360 & Ford Fusion 2014
I would definitely consider an EV Maverick and get rid of the EB we got in April. There is an Escape PHEV so a Mav version will probably hit market ahead of an EV. I wanted to order a Nissan Ariya SUV but they sold out for 2023 already in just 3 months. Range is what I need if this is my only vehicle, thou for now I would keep my Fusion since i get 30 city/40hwy it just does not have the room I need for weekend trips. The new EV would be SUV so I can stack 2 levels of orchids or plants I buy down south. For me a 300 mi range would be ok and since there are tons of chargers in the main FL cities and along the 4 main highways. I would just need a 30 min stop to eat.

Here's a little info on chargers in Orlando w ea surrounding city having their own supply also... 42% are free (I had no idea), there are just over 500 chargers w 13% level 3 which estimates to take 30 min to full charge.

Winter park a burb has a condo apt development, Bainbridge w four level 2 chargers that are free, so multi unit housing is coming along on that front. Granted Bainbridge is a bit lux w 700 sq ft apt going for $2k a month.

Ford Maverick Maverick Lightning and Ranger Lightning trademarked as Ford's new electric EV trucks Screenshot 2022-07-13 014357

Barracuda340

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 Silverado , 07 mustang, 69 barracuda
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Interesting! -- they have talked a lot about more EVs though, not increasing diesels, and diesel fuel prices are way up. Plus the 150 Lightning is selling like hotcakes.

I wouldn't mind an EV Maverick if it had good range, since EVs have more internal space leftover for storage than hybrids. I have Stuff.

I'm one of the people trying to go from a car to a small truck, for gardening and such. If the Maverick will actually arrive. Never had a truck before.
150 lightning is selling like hotcakes only until they try to pull a heavy load a long distance, then you will see these on the used car lot in short order. When you start sucking serious amps pulling a heavy trailer with a BEV, the battery efficiency goes waaay down making a gas or diesel a better alternative at that point. Now for just driving around and throwing some stuff in the back, it will do alright.

Sponsored

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
As someone who has lived in FL for 24 yrs, gone w/o power for 24 days straight in 2004 and countless other times w/o power since, one of the few things FL has going for it was make it law that gas stations, grocery stores and other essential businesses must have back up generators ( dual fuel sources too). I have been researching EV's for quite a long time and in doing so have found almost a dozen fast chargers within 4 mi of my house. Going beyond a 4 mi radius are a few hundred chargers, inc 2 Tesla Super Chargers 5 mi away, this is north Orlando burbs. They are at gas stations, shopping plaza's, grocery stores, colleges & universities (all have solar powered). Take a look at charging maps for Miami & Tampa they are covered in EV chargers. I have 240v slots avail on my breaker board (you get to be an expert in all things power in FL) for a garage charger which is plenty for an overnight full charge. I'm guessing someone who can't fully charge in 8 hrs is running 110v only. A friend in a condo building has a neighbor running an extension cord from their condo out to the parking lot to charge their EV LOL nowhere near ideal w voltage over distance in a non-10 gauge cord! With planning ahead, which if you dare to live where a hurricane can hit, you better learn that skill, you can evac w an EV.
Ok, but is it enough to handle the surge in demand from literally hundreds of thousands of people all at once? At least with gas engines you can take a dead car on the side of the road and siphon some gas into it. Cant do that with an EV and there was a lot of that during Katrina. I'd rather store some extra gas in portable cans and throw those in the bed in an emergency rather than wait in line for a charger and hope it works.

And what happens when the backup generator runs out of fuel? Or you are in a state that doesn't mandate a backup? The idea of having to charging your EV from a diesel fueled backup generator is laughable.

Yvonne Federowicz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Yvonne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid XLT ordered 11/21; Subaru XTrek
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
150 lightning is selling like hotcakes only until they try to pull a heavy load a long distance, then you will see these on the used car lot in short order. When you start sucking serious amps pulling a heavy trailer with a BEV, the battery efficiency goes waaay down making a gas or diesel a better alternative at that point. Now for just driving around and throwing some stuff in the back, it will do alright.
"Long distance" means means different things in different states sometimes.

Here in Rhode Island, it seems to mean more than 15 minutes away! :)

It's densely populated overall even though we have some farms, so people needing pickups have loads of work to do where a lightning 150 would be great I think.

If we get more of those charging stations where 20 minutes buys you hundreds of miles, even better.

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If what I hear is true that your range could be cut in half towing an RV of decent size that means you must charge every 160 miles or so give or take. Ouch. If you are convoying with friends who have ICE trucks they are not going to be happy with you stopping every 160 miles or so to sit and twiddle thumbs while your $90K truck charges. This is of course predicated on the fact you can find a convenient charging station and not have to wait in line to use it.

You know the ones, that have to stop all the time to smoke a cigarette or eat a power bar while snowmobiling, mc riding or 4 wheeling. They never get invited back. :D :ROFLMAO: :LOL:

Am I missing something here? My intention is not to bash EV's out of hand. I know lots of folks like them. Their money, their rig but to me it just seems like this is all somewhat of a pipe dream that is not ready for prime time. I agree with many others that PHEV is the answer and that would be my ultimate Maverick, not an EV one.

Barracuda340

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 Silverado , 07 mustang, 69 barracuda
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
F150 lightning pulling a travel trailer test. YouTube. I think they got 80 miles pulling an airstream travel trailer, and had to turn around🤣🤣🤣 I dunno about you, but I dont want to stop for 45 minutes to charge up every 150 miles pulling a trailer. That equates to every 2.5 hours or so here in Texas.

And if you do pull that trailer full o shit to that remote jobsite, and use the trucks battery for portable power, you may never get back home at the end of the day, unless you run a portable generator to charge it up which defeats the point of having an electric truck in the first place. Point is hybrids are the answer. BEVs are not unless it's a small shitbox for commuting. Even so it's still not.

Oh, and ERCOT has told us during this heatwave to bump our thermostats up, not run electric ovens, cooktops, or run washing machines or dryers from 2pm to 8pm because of peak electricity demands on our grid. I wonder how charging an assload of BEVs is going to tax our grid in this record heatwave. See below 2 day old forecast, but updated tosay it's still over 100 for the next 10 days

Ford Maverick Maverick Lightning and Ranger Lightning trademarked as Ford's new electric EV trucks Screenshot_20220711-151532_WeatherBu

Last edited:
Sponsored

CoryDallas8123

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A4, Chevy Chevelle SS, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
F150 lightning pulling a travel trailer test. YouTube. I think they got 80 miles pulling an airstream travel trailer, and had to turn around🤣🤣🤣 I dunno about you, but I dont want to stop for 45 minutes to charge up every 150 miles pulling a trailer. That equates to every 2.5 hours or so here in Texas.

And if you do pull that trailer full o shit to that remote jobsite, and use the trucks battery for portable power, you may never get back home at the end of the day, unless you run a portable generator to charge it up which defeats the point of having an electric truck in the first place. Point is hybrids are the answer. BEVs are not unless it's a small shitbox for commuting. Even so it's still not.

Oh, and ERCOT has told us during this heatwave to bump our thermostats up, not run electric ovens, cooktops, or run washing machines or dryers from 2pm to 8pm because of peak electricity demands on our grid. I wonder how charging an assload of BEVs is going to tax our grid in this record heatwave. See below 2 day old forecast, but updated tosay it's still over 100 for the next 10 days

Screenshot_20220711-151532_WeatherBug.jpg
Latest 10 day below for Dallas.

Yep, ERCOT said to conserve during the peak. Well, peak demand seems like it’ll be around for quite awhile considering it’s only July and August is historically our hottest month.

Most arguments I hear for BEV is; charge at home, and cheaper.

It’ll be a handful of years before the apartment/condo charging is resolved but it will be resolved eventually.

The kicker to me is the cheaper argument. Yes, home electricity is MUCH cheaper right now, roughly $.10/kWh. What happens when the electric companies and grid operators see a big spike in demand during off peak(night) hours with hundreds of thousands of charging vehicles? The generators will need to be running at a higher capacity and our ebb and flow will be thrown off and goodbye $.10/kWh rate.
Ford Maverick Maverick Lightning and Ranger Lightning trademarked as Ford's new electric EV trucks CEA6782F-6207-4199-9023-FAD5F5735CE2

Springboks

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Deon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would be all for a Hybrid Diesel. Would be an AWESOME combo. I would think 55MPG at least, and an enigne that lasts much longer

MarcusBrody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect, BMW 318ti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I find it amusing that when EVs start to be discussed, half of the Maverick forum posters start moving toward the fringe use cases as counterexamples as to why it won't work (e.g. "Oh yeah, but what if I need to flee my apartment from a hurricane towing my 30 foot Airstream on my 400 mile commute?") in a similar manner to the "Maverick isn't a real truck" critic brigade.

Obviously an EV doesn't make sense for everyone (I agree that it makes a lot more sense for homeowners), but statistically, a 300 mile EV will cover the vast, vast majority of most people's driving needs. I have lots of friends with EVs and almost none of them experience the issues described here (or at least not very frequently). A huge percentage of most people's driving is done within their metro area and while road trips are (apparently a but more annoying), they're not bad. I'd happily get a Maverick BEV (as well as a PHEV).

athertonbt

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL EB FWD Carb Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Most folks who drive an F150 aren't pulling anything at all. It's become a grocery getter and bro hauler for a large segment of its huge customer base.

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
As soon as you say the word "electric" a culture war starts and a lot of misinformation starts getting posted. I've closely followed BEV progress for years. They ain't perfect, but they also don't suck. But they are definitely on a path to being perfect for many cases in a very few years.

All the stuff about the grid isn't ready - that's 100% BS. Autoline did a show with the managers of the US regional electric cooperatives. And every single one of them said they saw zero issues handling the slow rollout of BEVs. Squawkers love to rant and rave about "the grid will collapse when everyone charges at the same time". First, most people charge off peak, to save money> Second, the grid has been growing annually for 100+ years - they're in the business of growing to meet demand and they're generally good at it. Third, 100 million BEVs are not going to suddenly materialize on US roads in 2022 - cars last 12+ years on average. BEVs will trickle into the vehicle population at a faster and faster, but very manageable rate.

The complaint about charging times on long trips is valid today but increasingly irrelevant - as new battery architectures now fully charge in 15 to 20 minutes. Some charge in 5 minutes, which is the same as gasoline. The complaint about charging accessibility for city apartment dwellers is completely valid right now. The complaints about cost are valid right now. The complaints about availability of chargers and cars and maintainers are all valid right now. The range argument is generally bogus, but not always (do you drive 300 miles a day each way to the ranch - then probably a BEV is not for you right now).

BEVs are a journey. They may not be your personal choice today or ever, but misinformation needs to stomped dead on the spot. Lots of misinformation in this thread. BEVs have their use cases. Diesel trucks have their use cases. You can't be making generic claims about BEVs vs ICE. You have to specify what the use case is, and what year you're talking about (2020, 2022, 2024). Because the devil is always in the details.
Sponsored