Sponsored

Maverick is using 8F35 transmission. But why not the heavy duty transmission (8F57)?

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Does anyone know if this 8spd trans new for Ford or was it in their other vehicles?
Pretty new, I believe it came on market in 2020
Sponsored

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Azmig88

2.0L EcoBoost
Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick 2.0 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Why the 8f35?
This truck started as the least expensive one available.
So I’m sure the cost has to come into play.
I’m not faulting them. i’m only sharing my thoughts.

Sponsored

grumpyunk

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mariner 85 Ranger 97 T-bird 87 Sable
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I guess its still about the money.
Everything in the industry is about the money. Saving 10-15 cents, or less, when the unit count is in the hundreds or thousands can add up to a lot of money. Something designed with 8 fasteners can end up using only 4 and will save millions over the production run.
The 8F35 spec'd could have some different internal parts, such as different friction material on the clutches, different thrust handling using bearings instead of bushings, etc.
They will provide adequate power handling capacity to cover the 9xth percentile of use that will likely work without problems for double the warranty period. Or some mix of percent/months and miles. To do more would likely increase the cost per unit and thus the MSRP.
I think I prefer a less complicated version rather than a BMW or Mercedes or Audi that is unaffordable once past the warranty period given the less complicated is easier and less expensive to repair.
It is all a balance between final cost and capabilities. Every design choice has a tradeoff, and as a customer you just hope they made good decisions. I would not have one of the brands metioned, and actually think FoMoCo does a decent job of meeting the design goals. I think their F-150 product is better than the other 2 brands, and that the Japanese brands in one case are leaving the market due to not selling, and in the other trading somewhat on their previous reputation.
We shall see...

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Why the 8f35?
This truck started as the least expensive one available.
So I’m sure the cost has to come into play.
I’m not faulting them. i’m only sharing my thoughts.
You aren't wrong. A $20 k truck is going to be built around the most economical components to manufacture. The trans isn't wrong for the truck, it's the right choice. Keeps costs down and lets ford meet it's price goal while meeting performance requirements.

The 2.0L ecoboost doesn't produce power over what the trans is rated at until what, 4k rpm? Very rarely would it go over the rated torque of the trans and even then they can use the ECU to keep the power from spiking too high. IMO it's why the mav isn't really a "push you back in your seat" kind of vehicle but it does accelerate very well, especially at highway speeds.

There is no need to use the heavier duty transmission for the overwhelming majority of use cases for the truck.

Reactions: bgn

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yep cost. And I don't like it. I would so much rather have the eCVT in my EB and I never thought I would say that. But I'm also part of the crowd on this forum that has noticed odd shifting and constant gear hunting. It drives me crazy. If there is one thing I can't stand in a vehicle it's a crappy transmission. I wish I could test drive some Mavericks on a lot around me but there are never any and I'd have to drive half a day just to find a used one to see if it's any different. Honestly, even with the features removed on the '24's I'm still weighing the pro's and cons of placing an order for a Tremor just for that reason alone. I'll test drive it and decide within the first 10 minutes of that drive if it's a noticeable difference in shifting. Still on the fence though, but the transmission drives me crazy and the way it shifts when coming to a stop actually makes me have to almost tap the brakes instead of a constant motion and it's borderline dangerous in the winter weather where I live.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yep cost. And I don't like it. I would so much rather have the eCVT in my EB and I never thought I would say that. But I'm also part of the crowd on this forum that has noticed odd shifting and constant gear hunting. It drives me crazy. If there is one thing I can't stand in a vehicle it's a crappy transmission. I wish I could test drive some Mavericks on a lot around me but there are never any and I'd have to drive half a day just to find a used one to see if it's any different. Honestly, even with the features removed on the '24's I'm still weighing the pro's and cons of placing an order for a Tremor just for that reason alone. I'll test drive it and decide within the first 10 minutes of that drive if it's a noticeable difference in shifting. Still on the fence though, but the transmission drives me crazy and the way it shifts when coming to a stop actually makes me have to almost tap the brakes instead of a constant motion and it's borderline dangerous in the winter weather where I live.
Interesting you mention hunting for gears - mine doesn't do that at least not that I notice. Could be driving style? It would be interesting to see how the CVT would function with the EB. My limited experience with cvt's is fairly limited but also from 15 years ago. This one is supposed to be pretty good.

One thing that does annoy me is the sensation of hard shifting at slow speeds. I do a lot of short distance stop and go driving and when I'm accelerating slowly at low speeds I often feel a clunk seemingly as it shifts. It might be the trans or perhaps the transfer case. Or maybe even something to do with the turbo cutting in or out? Once it gets up over 30 it's fine and on highways it's great but the slow, low speed stuff is annoying AF.

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You actually couldn't have the eCVT on a non hybrid vehicle, part of the CVT itself is the electric motor. You could only pair a traditional CVT with an ecoboost in which case I would rather take my chances with a traditional automatic like the 8F35

Sponsored

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You actually couldn't have the eCVT on a non hybrid vehicle, part of the CVT itself is the electric motor. You could only pair a traditional CVT with an ecoboost in which case I would rather take my chances with a traditional automatic like the 8F35
Yep same. It's funny you mention this because I had a Subaru with a CVT and hated it, so I was skeptical going into the Hybrid Escape but ended up loving it's eCVT.

Interesting you mention hunting for gears - mine doesn't do that at least not that I notice. Could be driving style? It would be interesting to see how the CVT would function with the EB. My limited experience with cvt's is fairly limited but also from 15 years ago. This one is supposed to be pretty good.

One thing that does annoy me is the sensation of hard shifting at slow speeds. I do a lot of short distance stop and go driving and when I'm accelerating slowly at low speeds I often feel a clunk seemingly as it shifts. It might be the trans or perhaps the transfer case. Or maybe even something to do with the turbo cutting in or out? Once it gets up over 30 it's fine and on highways it's great but the slow, low speed stuff is annoying AF.
It feels more like my driving style has changed to cater to the low speed awkwardness of the transmission. My Tacoma was the opposite and the highway speeds were the ones that would annoy folks in the final gears. A tune really brought that truck to life especially after the lift. I had to retune to accommodate the new setup but it's so common with the Tacoma's is basically plug and play numbers. Shifting after the tune was never an issue on the highways. If the cost for a custom tune on the Maverick wasn't so expensive I'd give one a shot. Everything now days is tuned so much for the economy driving - which is fine, but I'd gladly sacrifice .5MPG for a better tune. Odd thing is, the tune on the Tacoma actually increased MPG slightly both with the stock setup and the lift.

TacoTanium

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Everything in the industry is about the money. Saving 10-15 cents, or less, when the unit count is in the hundreds or thousands can add up to a lot of money. Something designed with 8 fasteners can end up using only 4 and will save millions over the production run.
The 8F35 spec'd could have some different internal parts, such as different friction material on the clutches, different thrust handling using bearings instead of bushings, etc.
They will provide adequate power handling capacity to cover the 9xth percentile of use that will likely work without problems for double the warranty period. Or some mix of percent/months and miles. To do more would likely increase the cost per unit and thus the MSRP.
I think I prefer a less complicated version rather than a BMW or Mercedes or Audi that is unaffordable once past the warranty period given the less complicated is easier and less expensive to repair.
It is all a balance between final cost and capabilities. Every design choice has a tradeoff, and as a customer you just hope they made good decisions. I would not have one of the brands metioned, and actually think FoMoCo does a decent job of meeting the design goals. I think their F-150 product is better than the other 2 brands, and that the Japanese brands in one case are leaving the market due to not selling, and in the other trading somewhat on their previous reputation.
We shall see...
Very true but not completely, there the balance between money and customer satisfaction/needs. Poor reliability is acceptable for Ford because they know it will sell. If it didn't completely sell, they'd have to bump up reliability a bit.

grumpyunk

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mariner 85 Ranger 97 T-bird 87 Sable
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Taco, I think you missed the point about meeting the warranty period X 2. They do not want to have reliability claims or issues as each one would cost more than adding additional bits and pieces of a higher quality. They do a lot of math on that. OTOH, sometimes copying competitors does not work as well as expected. The ecoboost engines with a saw kerf between the cylinders was used by both Mercedes and BMW in some of their engines, apparently successfully. The ecoboost with the same feature had problems. Why? I cannot say why Ford had problems and the other two did not. Perhaps it was related to the antifreeze used, coolant temperatures reached in normal operation, and so on, but for sure they had gone through some sort of test and thought it would work. In many cases it did, but I expect the cost for the failures that occurred during the warranty period AND the customer DISsatisfaction with the engine failure rate cost them a lot more than it cost to change the procedure to a drilled passage... Live and learn, but they do try.
Perhaps you have some experience with the Maverick that I know nothing about...
Sponsored