Sponsored

Maverick is using 8F35 transmission. But why not the heavy duty transmission (8F57)?

BOT_ROCKET

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Foxbody, Honda Blackbird
I think this is what will keep me from getting a Maverick. One of my favorite things about the ecoboost family is how well they respond to tuning. If the engine is already exceeding the torque rating of the trans, I don't think I'd feel very good about running an E30 tune (or better yet, E85 if the fuel system can handle it). My Fusion Sport was beyond the trans torque rating once it was tuned, but at least it had some headroom from the factory (6f55).

If they don't beef it up, I may need to opt for a used Ranger instead.
Sponsored

teh603

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Subaru Outback, '09 Honda Fit
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It appears the 8F57 transmission is only for high torque V6 engines, such as the 2.7L V6 EcoBoost. That engine pushes out a little less than 100hp more than the 2.0L Ecoboost found in the Maverick, as well as about 100lb more torque.

It is likely overkill for the Maverick, an unnecessary waste of weight and cost.
Agreed, it's not like even the FX4 and 4K is designed for hardcore offroading or pulling huge trailers. This one's closer to my grandfather's old F-100 (which my dad still drives 50 years later). It'll get you to the pecan trees on the back forty.

And since you mentioned unnecessary waste of weight, it's worth pointing out that every pound of extra transmission is a pound less payload. That's how the Maverick can have as high a payload as it does.. The driveline is just that much lighter.

The 8F35 is a good transmission. The 4K towing adds in the oil cooler and bigger radiator. When towing it isnt so much about what transmission is in there. It is how to keep it cool. The stand alone cooler on the 4K package makes it just as good if not better than the 8F57.
Definitely this. Pretty much every vehicle I've "aftermarketed" the tow package on, it was about upgrading the transmission cooling instead of the trans itself.

Platinum2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Agree completely. Heat is always the enemy.

Cybertubbster

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Escape and 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't know anything about it, but are you sure it's "heavier"? Maybe it's just for a different application for some other specific reason? Do you know what vehicle the 8F57 is used in? I do believe the 4K towing gets a lower (numerically) final drive.
I think the drive ratio on the 4k is 3:63. The 4k also comes with a tranny cooler.

nick112288

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 Ram 2500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is the trans cooler on these a legitimate trans cooler that's out front getting fresh air or is it like the dinky thing on the F150 that hangs down back near the transmission?

Sponsored

Vols44

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Edge
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The 8F35 is a good transmission. The 4K towing adds in the oil cooler and bigger radiator. When towing it isnt so much about what transmission is in there. It is how to keep it cool. The stand alone cooler on the 4K package makes it just as good if not better than the 8F57.
I think the Maverick R&D engineers found the 8F35 was sufficient for 4K loads. Customers wanting more power can upgrade to a Ranger, F-150 or Super Duty and enjoy their capabilities. As a good friend likes to say when discussing trucks, "There's no replacement for displacement".

crunchie_frog

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT 2.0 4K, 1999 & 2000 5.0 AWD Mountaineers
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have placed an order for a 4K tow package (with AWD and 2.0 EB of course, 250 HP 277 ft-lbs torque). I have a boat and trailer that weighs in at <3,000 lbs fully loaded with gas and equipment (lots of lures ha ha) and would also be looking at a light weight camper trailer (<3,000 lbs fully loaded). I have pulled the boat in the past (for many years and many miles) with a 5.0 AWD (215 HP, 288 ft-lbs torque) and 4R70W trans (700 ft-lbs torque rating) with a trans oil cooler and have had zero issues. I have pulled near the max with that set up (over 6,000 lbs) and no issues. The 4R70W has a much higher torque rating I am a little worried that if I use the Maverick for the same service I will be disappointed. Is there someone that has used the 4K tow package on the Maverick ( for long trips or many shorter trips) at 3,000 lbs to 4,000 lbs load that can share their feelings of how reliable the Maverick has been for them with regular towing? Maybe the software will address any potential concerns with over torque. I mean they have rated it for 4K with no other restrictions so I should be fine right, maybe I am just worried about nothing. I am looking for some real world feedback from anyone who maybe has pushed the limits of the 4,000 lbs with their Maverick and see if they feel comfortable doing that with some frequency. Thanks,

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I have placed an order for a 4K tow package (with AWD and 2.0 EB of course, 250 HP 277 ft-lbs torque). I have a boat and trailer that weighs in at <3,000 lbs fully loaded with gas and equipment (lots of lures ha ha) and would also be looking at a light weight camper trailer (<3,000 lbs fully loaded). I have pulled the boat in the past (for many years and many miles) with a 5.0 AWD (215 HP, 288 ft-lbs torque) and 4R70W trans (700 ft-lbs torque rating) with a trans oil cooler and have had zero issues. I have pulled near the max with that set up (over 6,000 lbs) and no issues. The 4R70W has a much higher torque rating I am a little worried that if I use the Maverick for the same service I will be disappointed. Is there someone that has used the 4K tow package on the Maverick ( for long trips or many shorter trips) at 3,000 lbs to 4,000 lbs load that can share their feelings of how reliable the Maverick has been for them with regular towing? Maybe the software will address any potential concerns with over torque. I mean they have rated it for 4K with no other restrictions so I should be fine right, maybe I am just worried about nothing. I am looking for some real world feedback from anyone who maybe has pushed the limits of the 4,000 lbs with their Maverick and see if they feel comfortable doing that with some frequency. Thanks,
You will be fine. 4,000lb is the safe to keep Ford out of lawsuits rating as is the 8spd trans ratings. Should you tow 6500lb up into the mountains? Hell no but I wouldnt hesitate to tow anything that starts with a 4,XXX lbs anywhere that isnt Pikes Peak. In the mountains I would keep it under 4k. Your boat will be just fine.

My work/farm truck is a 91 Jeep Comanche. It has factory tow rating of 5000lbs. The transmission is shot, reverse is sketchy at best and it holds gears at odd rpms whenever it feels like it. Its a Japanese AW4 that Toyota sold to Jeep before they figured out how to build it properly for their own trucks and Supras. At best its a screwy trans to start. But I put a big ass cooler and fan on it. I think it said is was rated at 20,000lbs or something like that. Anyways it keeps on pulling day after day. I even have had a rebuilt unit ready to go for over a year now waiting on the day. So yesterday on my way home from taking 128 cubic ft of plastic bottles to the recycler, I stopped and a got gas, there was a V8 Jeep WK Grand Cherokee(curb weight 5,264lb) with a twin axle trailer I estimated to be between 2000-2500lbs. The jeep was also loaded up with 2 guys and whole bunch of cargo, and a roof rack. Total combined weight was probably 8000 to 8500lb.

Any way he had his hood up and I offered to help. First we tried jumping it, second I tested voltages and determined it was probably a bad starter or cable. So they said they lived just down the road. It was mostly downhill on a tight winding road however there was several climbs in the 4 mile trip. Including the fact that their driveway dipped across a gulch that had a 30 degree uphill gravel grade on the opposite side. It leveled off and then got steep again over the course of about 250ft. So I hooked up a tow strap to em and pulled off of their front axle(which is just the worst, his tow hooks were upside down hooks mounted in the bumper which are useless) The old Comanche pulled their 8000lb rig no problem and when I got halfway up out of the gulch instead of pushing on my transmission I put it in 4LOW(which helped with the gravel) and pulled em right on up there.

So a nearly broken trans with a big ole cooler, easily pulled almost double its tow rating up grades and even a gnarly gravel hill. Also it is a 31 year old Japanese throw-away and sell cheap to a struggling American company slush box.

crunchie_frog

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You will be fine. 4,000lb is the safe to keep Ford out of lawsuits rating as is the 8spd trans ratings. Should you tow 6500lb up into the mountains? Hell no but I wouldnt hesitate to tow anything that starts with a 4,XXX lbs anywhere that isnt Pikes Peak. In the mountains I would keep it under 4k. Your boat will be just fine.

My work/farm truck is a 91 Jeep Comanche. It has factory tow rating of 5000lbs. The transmission is shot, reverse is sketchy at best and it holds gears at odd rpms whenever it feels like it. Its a Japanese AW4 that Toyota sold to Jeep before they figured out how to build it properly for their own trucks and Supras. At best its a screwy trans to start. But I put a big ass cooler and fan on it. I think it said is was rated at 20,000lbs or something like that. Anyways it keeps on pulling day after day. I even have had a rebuilt unit ready to go for over a year now waiting on the day. So yesterday on my way home from taking 128 cubic ft of plastic bottles to the recycler, I stopped and a got gas, there was a V8 Jeep WK Grand Cherokee(curb weight 5,264lb) with a twin axle trailer I estimated to be between 2000-2500lbs. The jeep was also loaded up with 2 guys and whole bunch of cargo, and a roof rack. Total combined weight was probably 8000 to 8500lb.

Any way he had his hood up and I offered to help. First we tried jumping it, second I tested voltages and determined it was probably a bad starter or cable. So they said they lived just down the road. It was mostly downhill on a tight winding road however there was several climbs in the 4 mile trip. Including the fact that their driveway dipped across a gulch that had a 30 degree uphill gravel grade on the opposite side. It leveled off and then got steep again over the course of about 250ft. So I hooked up a tow strap to em and pulled off of their front axle(which is just the worst, his tow hooks were upside down hooks mounted in the bumper which are useless) The old Comanche pulled their 8000lb rig no problem and when I got halfway up out of the gulch instead of pushing on my transmission I put it in 4LOW(which helped with the gravel) and pulled em right on up there.

So a nearly broken trans with a big ole cooler, easily pulled almost double its tow rating up grades and even a gnarly gravel hill. Also it is a 31 year old Japanese throw-away and sell cheap to a struggling American company slush box.
Enjoyable reading your towing adventures. Some of you description of terrain reminds me of the scenes in Deliverance when they were taking their canoes to the river with the
Driver brothers ha ha.

the only thing, those stories were about jeeps and toyotas, this is a ford ha ha.

looking forward to reading more of your adventures. 😀

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Enjoyable reading your towing adventures. Some of you description of terrain reminds me of the scenes in Deliverance when they were taking their canoes to the river with the
Driver brothers ha ha.

the only thing, those stories were about jeeps and toyotas, this is a ford ha ha.

looking forward to reading more of your adventures. 😀
Remember the trans in question was a toyota built jeep trans bought at bargain prices, because it wasnt even fit for use in toyotas, at the time, questionable vehicles. Early 80s electronics and overdrive. They made no improvements to it by the time they built my jeep.

Sponsored

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've run my truck which has the 4k tow package with about 3500lbs including the trailer and about 1000lbs of concrete loaded into the bed. I was able to do 55 - 60 MPH with no major inclines or declines just fine. the rear wanted to sway and was very noticeable but I was able to drive it with one hand without tripping the sway control safety except for once during the 30+ mile drive.

crunchie_frog

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes, I would think it would get bullied by the trailer sometime. Could get tiring over a long haul compared with a f250 diesel. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes, I would think it would get bullied by the trailer sometime. Could get tiring over a long haul compared with a f250 diesel. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Electric power assist on the steering helps a lot. If you set it for tow haul it will also stiffen up the steering more so than in normal mode to help keep from oversteering when you turn the wheel.

FischAutoTechGarten

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Green Valley Arizona USA, Alamos Sonora MEX
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mav Lariat EB AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

When you order the 4K towing package, you get slightly taller tires, (235 instead of 225 both at 65 ratio) which offsets some of the 3.81 to 3.63 difference no?

Nevermind... did my research on an XLT AWD EB, selecting 4K does not change tire size at all... So you do loose a bit of top end gear (about 4%) as the tires stay 225/65 R17.

However, if I were doing 235/60 R18 wheels or 255/55 R18, I'd have a slight increase in wheel diameter (1.8 to 2.1%) over the stock 225/65 R17, clawing back a bit of that 4% in overall gearing from the 3.81 ratio.
Sponsored