Reaction score
Website
www.nerdandtie.com
Vehicle(s)
2011 Nissan Versa, 2023 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

What gets me is how all of these guys would never think a twenty-five year old Ranger isn't a truck... when a lot of those as factory configured only had 2000 lbs of towing and less payload than the Maverick. Like it was enough truck in the 90s for some folks, it may still be enough now.

But that would require them to actually know what they were talking about.
Sponsored

wedge6128

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2023 hybrid XLT Lux Package
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I am pretty sure this guys older cooler better-looking brother bought a Maverick and he has some pretty serious sour grapes about it. The subtext of his article reads like " Stupid Johny's truck is so stupid and all the other people who bought one are stupid too!"

swtiming8

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The author just mad and making clickbait. I think his characterization of Mav fans is completely unfair, based on the users on this forum. Of course there are bad apples in any group.

His points comparing a mav to minivan are interesting to me, having thought about it and owning both myself. Its true the minivan is better for passenger quantity and comfort. The minivan can haul a ton of stuff, with seats removed, probably more than a mav, and all enclosed. But that is also a disadvantage, if you want to keep dirty, smelly things apart from the cabin, or you need more height. A truck is easier to load things as well.

A Mav with tow package will be better than minivan. Without, it is comparable. A Mav is better for offroad, especially with the appropriate package.

The author completely missed the point. He assumes bigger is better, so the Mav is useless compared to larger trucks. He is so wrong, why pay more for something you just need a small or moderate amount.

Regarding the profit margin, no doubt Ford makes more profit on larger trucks, and thus would prefer to sell them. But that profit only occurs if you actually sell them! The author agrees Mavs are selling fast and F150s are sitting on lots. That guy is just being ridiculous to get clicks.
Mavericks are not for everyone but for the price for us especially retirees on a fixed income it is a positive solution. If you can afford $50K-$75K he should go go buy an F150.
JMO

Last edited:

Vince30

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Ford Maverick and some motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The vibe I got from the article is that the author voiced his dislike for the little truck back when it was announced, and predicted it was going to be a huge flop and not what consumers want, and then I assume the vast majority of reactions to it were in disagreement. And now that the dust has settled and his opinion on what consumers want was proven to be wrong, he felt the need to do a follow up claiming he was right, and scoff off any disagreement by implying they must be screaming hypersensitive maverick cult members 3 times, without any context or explanation to why.

I agree many Maverick owners are sensitive fanboys, my team rules the other teams suck, type of attitudes. But that's just an attitude that's been embedder heavily into car culture for as long as I've been alive. I wish it wasn't and that we can criticize things we like and acknowledge good in the others, but it's just the world we live in.

I also agree the Maverick is a huge failure for Ford, but the author tries to claim no one wants them, when the failure is the opposite. The pencil pushers at Ford and their market research severely misjudged the popularity of it. As grateful as I am I got it for the price I did, it was way too cheap from the get go. The fact that an escape hybrid is almost $10k more expensive than a similarly equipped xlt hybrid with the same chassis and engine, says they themselves did not think people would want them. Admittedly, I didn't think people would want them either, I thought I was in a very small group that would rather have a car with open storage space in the back than a gigantic body on frame truck that could uproot my house in case I ever got the urge to do so.

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Luxury CO360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Sponsored

James K

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Check out this article. It makes a good point about Ford not really wanting to produce more Mavericks. The rest is mostly hyperbole.

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/ford-maverick-colossal-failure-170000586.html
The author doesn't know the automotive business. He's correct in the profit margin of an F 150 being higher than a Maverick but you can't dictate what the consumer buys. The percentage of Maverick buyers that could be sold a F 150 is likely in single digits. I doubt Ranger is much higher. The Big 3 learned their lesson years ago when they lost major amount of business to the Japanese; who gave the consumer what they wanted. The author should probably get a job writing for a science fiction magazine as he doesn't know business. It's not as simplistic as this author thinks.

swtiming8

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The vibe I got from the article is that the author voiced his dislike for the little truck back when it was announced, and predicted it was going to be a huge flop and not what consumers want, and then I assume the vast majority of reactions to it were in disagreement. And now that the dust has settled and his opinion on what consumers want was proven to be wrong, he felt the need to do a follow up claiming he was right, and scoff off any disagreement by implying they must be screaming hypersensitive maverick cult members 3 times, without any context or explanation to why.

I agree many Maverick owners are sensitive fanboys, my team rules the other teams suck, type of attitudes. But that's just an attitude that's been embedder heavily into car culture for as long as I've been alive. I wish it wasn't and that we can criticize things we like and acknowledge good in the others, but it's just the world we live in.

I also agree the Maverick is a huge failure for Ford, but the author tries to claim no one wants them, when the failure is the opposite. The pencil pushers at Ford and their market research severely misjudged the popularity of it. As grateful as I am I got it for the price I did, it was way too cheap from the get go. The fact that an escape hybrid is almost $10k more expensive than a similarly equipped xlt hybrid with the same chassis and engine, says they themselves did not think people would want them. Admittedly, I didn't think people would want them either, I thought I was in a very small group that would rather have a car with open storage space in the back than a gigantic body on frame truck that could uproot my house in case I ever got the urge to do so.
I agree Ford is not happy with the issues and delays but failure? Failure to Ford was the Focus ranked up there with the Edsel with the Focus manual transmission and select switch shifter/clutch. Lemon law suites, buybacks and repeated parts replacement at Fords expense. I know I owned one a 2013 in which I had 7 clutched installed all at there expense. I traded it in for the Maverick

tom_tucker

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's called "yellow press" and its' a 125 year old idea. It's been very successful for blow-hards. If you're wrong about something, simply double down on it.

Yes, we know the Maverick exists to meet CAFE standards, not profits. I don't really care either way. I'd rather have this vehicle than a minivan. Nuff said.

elgin

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's called "yellow press" and its' a 125 year old idea. It's been very successful for blow-hards. If you're wrong about something, simply double down on it.

Yes, we know the Maverick exists to meet CAFE standards, not profits. I don't really care either way. I'd rather have this vehicle than a minivan. Nuff said.
Winner, winner, chicken dinner. .... I was waiting for someone to mention this. Ford wants to sell this truck, even needs to sell these trucks. Phasing out their line of passenger vehicles hurt their CAFE fleet MPG average. A loss leader high MPG truck was necessary to stay in business.

Deleted member 14823

Winner, winner, chicken dinner. .... I was waiting for someone to mention this. Ford wants to sell this truck, even needs to sell these trucks. Phasing out their line of passenger vehicles hurt their CAFE fleet MPG average. A loss leader high MPG truck was necessary to stay in business.
Exactly. Ford knows they're not going to be able to meet the 49mpg fleetwide average CAFE standards for 2026 with just the Lightning and the fake Mustang. Anyone who thinks they can just drop the Maverick right now hasn't been paying attention.

If I had to guess, they'll probably drop the turbo once they figure out how to get AWD in the hybrid, then ultimately drop the Maverick once there's enough EVs in their lineup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored

nate.rhodes

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What a bad article.

1. If Symes canā€˜t tell the difference between a Maverick and a minivan he has no credibility.

2. He thinks heā€™s doing people a favor by reminding them of the widely available specs for the Maverick regarding towing and hauling. I read them and bought one anyway. If I need to tow or haul, Iā€™ll either use my F250 SuperDuty or my wifeā€™s Ranger. People buy small pickups to haul lighter things.

3. His assumption that Ford doesnā€™t want to sell Mavericks is based on the notion that if Ford doesnā€™t offer it buyers will be forced into a larger model. Ford tried that and it didnā€™t work. They brought out the Ranger and theMaverick since then.

Kingfish

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

This dude uses the word "objectively," then says the Maverick is a whimp for hauling.

Mavericks have roughly the same payload capacity as the Ranger and like 300lbs more than the Tacoma.

I do not think that word means what he thinks it means.

Billkowski

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Tremor, 2021 Jeep Wrangler JL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Those who purchase the Maverick are well aware of what it can or cannot do. It's interesting that the author made the statement that a minivan could perform the duties of the Maverick. That's partially true and why I bought a Maverick. I'm a landlord, and I destroyed the interior of my wife's minivan using it to carry lumber, tools, yard supplies and everything else that would fit. My Maverick gives me a lined bed so the cab doesn't take such a beating. Also, I can now carry appliances and other tall items that wouldn't fit in a minivan, etc. The one thing he says that makes sense is selling Mavericks will cannibalize the sales of its larger trucks. Each Maverick sold may result in an unsold Ranger or F150. However, given the success of the Maverick, a half-dozen manufacturers will soon be offering competing trucks and will no doubt lose some market share. Thus the problem may solve itself.
Exactly, I wanted a new truck that fits in my garage, if the Maverick didn't exist I would have got a new GMC Canyon.
Sponsored