First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No such thing as "sold out" on a production vehicle after its first year. It just means that they will close the order books for a while to play catchup.

Advantage of those that wait is that early adopters are likely to have the most problems, so people that know they need a vehicle now need it now, and those that don't might as well wait.

Sponsored

Dan_E26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Focus, 2018 Sonata SEL
I mean really, who'da thunk that if Ford came out with a reasonably sized pickup that the average person can actually afford, then offered a 42MPG hybrid as the base model for under $20K, that said pickup would be insanely popular?

Truly perplexing.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just imagine the mark up “sold out” hybrids that customer don’t take delivery of are going to get.
They still have plenty of competition, and supply chain issues can't really get worse than the crap they are now. Ford is selling a bunch because they are priced well and the hybrid will save them money, if dealers add $10K to the price, it makes alternatives more attractive and that kills any fuel savings.

Ford is doing the right thing though with their order program to keep that scalping under control for the most part, but I fear a lot of this is self-fulfilling prophecy.

When people talk about ammo shortages or toilet paper shortages, people rush out to buy, creating a shortage. I watched a documentary on it, particularly focusing on toilet paper shortages and in several countries even well before covid, there were instances where panic buying created shortages even though supply had remained completely normal and uninterrupted.

Last edited:

Portcqb

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Lux 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just imagine the mark up “sold out” hybrids that customer don’t take delivery of are going to get.
I was thinking about that, but even more worrisome for the shady dealers that may add markup to retail due to demand

Pop2020

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Even if Ford did underestimate demand for the hybrid, who knows what discussions went on behind the scenes? Someone may have won a major battle just to get the thing produced because the F-150 crowd didn't want anybody invading even the edges of their territory and money-making.

As the owner of a beloved '06 Honda Ridgeline that met an untimely end and fully planned to buy another before being seduced by the promise of a less expensive truck that was estimated to get 40mpg in city driving, I know about the "it's not a REAL truck" rhetoric. I don't need to tow more than 2000 pounds. I don't need AWD, although I would have gotten it if it had been available in the hybrid and I don't want an oversized, bloated, gas-sucking brick to drive around town.

Some of the F-150 cult may have had enough say to limit the "risk' of building a small p/u that might not sell and end up sitting on lots. For those that actually NEED a full-size or even a Ranger-sized truck, more power to you. For those looking for a useful, economical vehicle with some truck utility, then Ford has hit the jackpot in my opinion.

I wouldn't be surprised if this drives Honda to put out a hybrid version of the Ridgeline or at least accelerate any plans if they have them.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wouldn't be surprised if this drives Honda to put out a hybrid version of the Ridgeline or at least accelerate any plans if they have them.
Santa Cruz is more threatened than Honda IMO. Honda is more of a midsize contender, and is still top in class fuel economy wise compared to them.

Santa Cruz is based on the Tucson, and the Tucson does have a hybrid, so I hope they are reconsidering their stance and will offer that on all trims. A "blue" stripper version Santa Cruz hybrid if priced right would be the only thing that distracts me from a Maverick Hybrid. Hyundai Tucson hybrid is AWD only, so that could give them a leg up on the niche left open by Ford not offering an AWD hybrid.

Sponsored

WatchYourSix

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST, 2021 Bronco, 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Some dealers are already marking them up $5k. Any more than that and you're in Ranger XLT/F-150 territory. Hard to believe anyone would pay more than $5k ADM for a Maverick but you never know.

GoTguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
Even if Ford did underestimate demand for the hybrid, who knows what discussions went on behind the scenes? Someone may have won a major battle just to get the thing produced because the F-150 crowd didn't want anybody invading even the edges of their territory and money-making.

As the owner of a beloved '06 Honda Ridgeline that met an untimely end and fully planned to buy another before being seduced by the promise of a less expensive truck that was estimated to get 40mpg in city driving, I know about the "it's not a REAL truck" rhetoric. I don't need to tow more than 2000 pounds. I don't need AWD, although I would have gotten it if it had been available in the hybrid and I don't want an oversized, bloated, gas-sucking brick to drive around town.

Some of the F-150 cult may have had enough say to limit the "risk' of building a small p/u that might not sell and end up sitting on lots. For those that actually NEED a full-size or even a Ranger-sized truck, more power to you. For those looking for a useful, economical vehicle with some truck utility, then Ford has hit the jackpot in my opinion.

Honda IS working on a hybrid Ridgeline.

On the one hand, the interest and demand for the Mavrick should probably push Honda to release it ASAP. But on the other hand, the shortage of components, means they probably want to delay rolling out a new iteration of the Ridgeline. I personally think that in the North American market, where people go gaga over trucks, they would go with the former.

fordtruckguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford truck
They still have plenty of competition, and supply chain issues can't really get worse than the crap they are now. Ford is selling a bunch because they are priced well and the hybrid will save them money, if dealers add $10K to the price, it makes alternatives more attractive and that kills any fuel savings.

Ford is doing the right thing though with their order program to keep that scalping under control for the most part, but I fear a lot of this is self-fulfilling prophecy.

When people talk about ammo shortages or toilet paper shortages, people rush out to buy, creating a shortage. I watched a documentary on it, particularly focusing on toilet paper shortages and in several countries even well before covid, there were instances where panic buying created shortages even though supply had remained completely normal and uninterrupted.
I would never pay that much over MSRP but apparently people do. And that so far has been seen on the ecoboost which is less in demand and has more availability. Hopefully dealers don’t mark up customer orders, but for the few that customers don’t take there will be far greater demand for those few now converted “dealer stock” than availability. Consumers are already used to paying more for hybrid than ICE anyways, so I think we could see a situation where the hybrid mark up is greater than the ecoboost.

OP
OP
STARCOMMTREY1

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

True except others are adding to theirs too.

OP
OP
STARCOMMTREY1

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Honda IS working on a hybrid Ridgeline.

On the one hand, the interest and demand for the Mavrick should probably push Honda to release it ASAP. But on the other hand, the shortage of components, means they probably want to delay rolling out a new iteration of the Ridgeline. I personally think that in the North American market, where people go gaga over trucks, they would go with the former.
But how much will that Ridgeline hybrid cost?
Sponsored