Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat Blackout
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

My 2024 Hybrid mileage is almost half electric driving. Given that the onboard computer "smart oil change" keeps up with the oil change frequency ,
it that based on total mileage driven or just the engine actual time running? My guess is it's total mileage. Of not, then one would expect, as example, at 5000 miles on computer oil change, the ICE engine only has 2500 miles on the oil change, give 50% electric. Thoughts?
Sponsored

CurtisB

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I have been through this discussion for 7 years in Priuschat.com. And now I see it here. Get ready for a barrage of how stupid you are to the extreme of not changing the filter for 50,000 miles. Me? Yes, you can safely say that your ICE is running only 40%-50% of a regular ICE. As for when you can change oil filter and oil? Do what you think is best. Now get ready for a lot of opinions. That's good for knowledge. I get it. That's what this forum is for. But some dicsussions on this can get rather heated.

maggie06

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 crv 2022 oxford white maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Curtis is right.
I'm an early and every 5000 kind of guy, but obviously I'm wrong.

Put pieces of paper numbered 4-10 in a hat, pick one, and go with that as an interval.

Or go with the software in the oil life monitor and hope it's better than the other software in trucks other management systems.

Seems clear as mud to me.

MinntoMich

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Erick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S10, Renegade, Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My 2024 Hybrid mileage is almost half electric driving. Given that the onboard computer "smart oil change" keeps up with the oil change frequency ,
it that based on total mileage driven or just the engine actual time running? My guess is it's total mileage. Of not, then one would expect, as example, at 5000 miles on computer oil change, the ICE engine only has 2500 miles on the oil change, give 50% electric. Thoughts?
I disregard the minder and examine the the color and odor of the oil instead. From your profile I see that you are in Georgia, I'm from Minnesota. Our climates are very different and condensation in the crankcase is a problem in the cooler and colder months here. About a solid third plus of my miles are electric depending on my commute and route on any given day. What I've decided was to change at a 5,000 mile interval as a standard, earlier if the quality of the oil has a poor color or heavy gasoline odor. Never less than twice a year, once going into the winter and once coming out.

Edit... I'm pretty sure the minder just works off to total miles driven.

Last edited:

tom_tucker

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Seems to me that the "Est. distance" is always based on 10,000 miles (+/- 100 miles) and the "Oil life remaining" % is tracking it intelligently based on load and usage. Whichever monitor comes first, change it then. It's that simple, at least for me.

Sponsored

Executech

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I am not saying what I did is right, but I haven't had any issues. I got my first oil change 45 days and 3,500 miles after taking delivery. I have continued to try and stay below the 10,000 mile recommended oil change interval and I utilized synthetic oil. I currently have 35,000 and have changed my oil 6 times.

Ford Maverick Maverick Hybrid Oil Change IMG_0348

OP
OP
Jetlat7878$

Jetlat7878$

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat Blackout
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I have been through this discussion for 7 years in Priuschat.com. And now I see it here. Get ready for a barrage of how stupid you are to the extreme of not changing the filter for 50,000 miles. Me? Yes, you can safely say that your ICE is running only 40%-50% of a regular ICE. As for when you can change oil filter and oil? Do what you think is best. Now get ready for a lot of opinions. That's good for knowledge. I get it. That's what this forum is for. But some dicsussions on this can get rather heated.
Where did you get 50,000 miles on a oil change lol. I said 5,000

Gpp

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

First off,a oil sensor or what ever it is to tell you when to change your oil is just plain stupid!just change it and filter between 3000 to 5000 miles and be done with it.yes,im old and set in my ways but i believe servicing your vehicles to soon instead of too late doesnā€™t hurt a thing!

Hoagus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜02 Ranger, ā€˜22 Mav XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just do what it says in the ownerā€™s manual.

Sponsored

upnash

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saturn Vue, Dodge Grand Caravan
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Oil is cheap Iā€™m sure the 2.5 Atkinson engine is very expensive to replace. I donā€™t even pay any attention to the smart oil change thing (I never see it) because I change the oil and filter at 5k miles.

skinnyboy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius V
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I do use the oil life monitor, but change the oil when it reads 50% life remaining. Generally comes in around 6000 miles/10000 kms. The head mechanic at my Ford dealer says he and all the other techs. change theirs at 40% remaining.

Came across this video, seems like a pretty straight forward shop owner:

He refers to Hondas, but I don't see any reason to believe Fords would be different.

Experience vs. speculation.

Cheers.
Sponsored