First Name
Mathew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Matrix
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Of course it will be a stripped down model for that price, how could it not be? As I said in another thread, the Honda Civic starts at over $21K so what are you expecting in a brand new pick up truck for around $20K? If Ford does come in with a base model in that price range it will be a bare essentials model.
Which means less stuff for my wife and kid to break haha Iā€™m kidding but serious as well. Barebones could work. I use my iPhone for everything electronic so give me an aux input and we are golden
Sponsored

Woody_Finch

First Name
Woody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Frontier, 2012 Focus, 2011 Fiesta
I'm not sure how tax credits work for hybrids, but according to efile.com, the 2020 Ford Escape Plug-in Hybrid qualified for a $6,834 tax credit. If the Maverick uses a similar powertrain, I'm assuming the credit would be similar. (If efile.com knows what it's talking about, and if those federal tax credits are renewed.)

giddyup

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I wasn't considering a hybrid, but this news has me thinking about it. I wonder if there will be a plug-in version. Personally I don't have a great use case for one but it becomes interesting if the FHEV/PHEV costs are offset by tax credits. Also, there are some additional credits/rebates for installing a home L2 charger so it also helps subsidize the cost of pulling 220V to the garage, which would be a bonus I guess.

Also wondering if Maverick will offer the onboard generator (PttB) like the F150. This feature got a lot of press during Texas weather-related power outages. Seems like a nice-to-have feature.

LUVHunting

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Colorado 4 cyl 5 sp; 86 Isuzu pup; 81 Chevy LUV
This is good news confirming the hybrid option. I hope it is confirmed soon as a plug-in hybrid, and Ford ought to offer the hybrid option from the beginning, otherwise they will likely lose a lot of potential hybrid sales from folks too excited about a small pickup to wait for better mileage. I won't buy one of these without a plug-in hybrid option myself because there wouldn't be much point in it - you give up a fair bit of capacity with a smaller truck, the trade-off should be way better mileage - and, in this day and age, the option to do local trips on all electric.

Sponsored

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wish we could go back to crank windows and non-powered mirrors and seats. How often do you readjust these things? I need AC as summers get hot where I am, but all this other stuff is just something to break and add to the cost. Even steel wheels are ok. Aftermarket parts are almost always less than OEM.

Mike

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350ā€™s
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
if you live in a cold climate fuel efficiency of Hybrids drops more than conventional gas. Didnt see much savings for driving I do.

Reactions: Doc

Mike

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350ā€™s
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I found this to be true which is why I will never buy a hybrid truck. My trucks are driven allot in Winter.

According to FuelEconomy.gov, a regular gasoline-powered car sees its gas mileagedrop by 12 percent when the temperature is 20 degrees, compared to a more pleasant temperature of 77 degrees. ... Hybrids can lose between 31 to 34 percent of their gas mileage during cold weather

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
can we blame the difference in mileage by seasons more on the gas blend than the hybrid and cold? Gov't requires separate blends for Winter and Summer ("oxygenated") and I always noticed a difference in mileage when they reformulate twice per year

Mike

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350ā€™s
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
yes but hybrids lose a greater percentage 12% traditional gas vs 34% loss hybrid according to data. I noticed but apparently, 1mrb had different results

Sponsored

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
can we blame the difference in mileage by seasons more on the gas blend than the hybrid and cold? Gov't requires separate blends for Winter and Summer ("oxygenated") and I always noticed a difference in mileage when they reformulate twice per year
You are correct on this. Basically the oxygenated fuel adds ethanol (alcohol) which has less energy per gallon compared to gasoline, so you burn more for the same performance; thus, lower fuel economy. Iā€™m not sure, but Iā€™m willing to bet that the hybrid loses some battery efficiency in the cold as well.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm not sure how tax credits work for hybrids, but according to efile.com, the 2020 Ford Escape Plug-in Hybrid qualified for a $6,834 tax credit. If the Maverick uses a similar powertrain, I'm assuming the credit would be similar. (If efile.com knows what it's talking about, and if those federal tax credits are renewed.)
Problem is, Iā€™m retired and I donā€™t make enough to be able to take a large tax reduction. Wish they had an immediate rebate through the dealer like they did for ā€œcash for clunkersā€.

Ponypower50

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maveriak Lariat, 2021 Mach e
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would like to see just a Hybrid option, not plug in. I have a 2014 Cmax and my overall MPG is 44, which includes driving in winter and summer. From what I understand there is no tax incentive for just the hybrid model.

MontanaEd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PHEV- Volt
For me, the beauty of the plug-in hybrid is the ability to force it to use electric only. But then still have the safety net of hybrid driving after that. That way I can essentially drive to/from work completely on electric only, and recharge at night in my garage. Essentially never using an ounce of fuel during the week like my wife does in her Escape Hybrid.
So true. If you can plug in and charge at night or at work you don't use much gas at all with a plug in hybrid.

On the topic of reduced milage in the Winter. I drive a plug in hybrid which is EPA rated at 35 miles of all electric range (2013 Chevy Volt). That range drops to 25 miles in cold temps and the gas engine will kick on and off to warm the battery. In the Summer, that range goes up to 45 miles. But even in the coldest months (yes it does get cold in Montana) I buy maybe one tank of gas a month. The Volt allows me to drive all electric or change a mode and lock out the battery so I use the electricity generated by the gas engine. I love this flexibility and control. I really hope whatever system goes into the Maverick allows the ability to choose all electric or all gas. Why? Who would not want to be able to save the silent electric power until they got to the dirt roads. Quiet vehicles spook the deer, elk and bison less.

Dan_E26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Focus, 2018 Sonata SEL
Since it's looking like there's no hope for a manual offering, I'm starting to consider the hybrid. Why not get better MPGs if they're all automatics anyway? Plus, you get a small power and torque bump over the base powertrain which is always appreciated.

My main concern is how it's gonna feel to drive. Rather than a standard torque converter it has an "eCVT", and I've heard conflicting information on how it behaves. Some say it basically feels like an electric car while others say its sluggish, droney and slippy, like a traditional belt-driven CVT. Can anybody weigh in?
Sponsored