Sponsored

houselog442

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
was looking for this comment. How do you test off-road without the off road package?!
i guess you get what Ford gives you. I guess it would be more fair to basically test a Maverick with Michelin tires against a Santa Cruz with the same tires, even though they are all season.
Sponsored

Zxdiac

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Volt, 2016 Jeep Renegade, 2000 Montero
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
They can only test what they were given.

Ford swapped out the Maverick Hybrid they had for the Maverick EcoBoost AWD.
Yeah, I get it, but why make this specific "Off-Road VS" video? IMO, they should test what they've got for what it's designed for, not what it isn't.

shark978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
canyon
Engine
Undecided
Yeah, I get it, but why make this specific "Off-Road VS" video? IMO, they should test what they've got for what it's designed for, not what it isn't.
cus they want views now. and maverick offroad test or vs xyz offroad competition is good clickbait.

bob_vic

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
i guess you get what Ford gives you. I guess it would be more fair to basically test a Maverick with Michelin tires against a Santa Cruz with the same tires, even though they are all season.
Yeah I get that, but at least state that in the beginning of the video. Don't wait until half way through.

Still encouraging to see how well it did even with out the FX4 package.

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah, I get it, but why make this specific "Off-Road VS" video?
Probably the same reason they loaded up the Hybrid Maverick with 5400 lbs of gross weight of wood and two large dudes and took it up and down some very steep slopes on a ranch. Because they could.

They also state that this is just one of the head to head comparisons between the Maverick and the Cruz that will determine which one wins overall.

I really enjoy their videos.

Sponsored

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The santa Cruz is a dual clutch transmission. The bronco badlands dual clutch is related to the AWD differential (I'm sure someone else knows it better and can explain). Definitely not the same thing, and the dc in the sc is definitely a detriment to of road use.
Depends on the offroad application. Specifically, DCTs are a poor choice when a lot of 1-2mph creeping is involved, and the DCT can't fully engage its 1st gear, which causes it to heat up riding the clutch.

If you're doing offroad stuff where it isn't technical like you're just going to a camp site or down some dunes or something where you aren't super-slow creeping, it should be a non-issue, the same as any manual transmission vehicle.

After all, there are plenty of manual transmission Wranglers sold too, and a DCT is essentially just a manual with the computer controlling the clutch/stick for you. If it didn't turn out to be so unreliable for example, I was going to pickup a manual transmission 4x4 Jeep Renegade, knowing that it has that one limitation on creeping which is something I don't usually encounter anyway with my usage on my current truck.

Biggest issue I see is that the HTRAC wasn't putting power down to the right wheels, which the 8-speed automatic version I don't see how that could fix it in and of itself. Oddly, everyone said the Tucson hybrid which has the same HTRAC did great, so I wonder if its something that can be fixed in programming.

Zepper

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche Cayman S, Maverick XLT (Alto Blue), Altrak
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I was surprised that they said they said they could smell the dual-clutch getting hot in the Santa Cruz.
I wasn't. Dual clutch transmissions are known to be bad in low speed offroading types of scenarios. I was surprised when a lot of reviewers called out a dual clutch trans as a positive on a vehicle that was aimed at an offroadish crowd.

houselog442

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
I wasn't. Dual clutch transmissions are known to be bad in low speed offroading types of scenarios. I was surprised when a lot of reviewers called out a dual clutch trans as a positive on a vehicle that was aimed at an offroadish crowd.
i think they were confused when they said dual clutch. The dual clutch transmission is not good for off-roading. What people are thinking on here was the torque vectoring or twin-clutch AWD system that is a very good off-road system in an AWD vehicle and that is what the Bronco Sport Badlands and many Honda/Acuras have. The Santa Cruz does not have that system, they really are not an off-roader company at all.

PougueForLife

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Georgetta
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick, as of March 3, 2023
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The continued resistance to calling them trucks drives me nuts.

Like,yes -- they are unibody vehicles. But being body on frame isn't what makes something a truck. If being body on frame made something a truck, then Crown Vics are suddenly no longer cars I guess.
I'm just gonna call it MY MAVERICK! easy peasy

Comet71

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Comet 71
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 Ford Mercury Comet
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm just gonna call it MY MAVERICK! easy peasy
Idk but I have a nickname for my maverick. I will call it truck! :ROFLMAO:

There's is another thing about mavericks from the 70s they didn't call them muscle cars! even that they had the same engines as the mustangs.. and the body of the maverick did look strong and tough... ppl call my 1971 comet A muscle car .. I don't think we should get upset abt it.

TheGinjNinj

First Name
Jeramy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fiesta SE, Maverick Soon
Been following this thread and wound up watching this guy’s videos as well, his test course & toughness tests.

He just did a deep snow test with it!
Sponsored