Sponsored

Salmonator

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Lowrider
You can’t tow the MAX 4k with a 4k tow package with a steep incline/decline, high altitude, and pushing it to 60 the whole time without expecting some excess heat. In the owners manual it is recommended to change the transmission fluid far more frequently (30k vs 150k) if you tow on a regular basis due to excess heat.

I recommend buying a Ranger if anyone's intensions are to tow near 4k up steep grades, or at high elevations, all the time.

I couldn't find the calculations for how much steep grades decrease the towing capacity but it is out there. I don't plan to tow anything with the Maverick.

Source for info below - https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten.../guides/Prelm20Towing_Ford_Explorer_Apr16.pdf
https://www.fleet.ford.com/towing-guides/
https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/...ilerTowingGuide_Calculator-Fleet_r1_Nov29.pdf

High Altitude Operation
Gasoline engines lose power by 3-4% per 1,000 ft. elevation. To maintain performance, reduce GVWs and GCWs by 2% per 1,000 ft. elevation starting at the 1,000 ft. elevation point.

This could help reduce heat

Driving With an Automatic Overdrive Transmission
With certain automatic overdrive transmissions, towing – especially in hilly areas – may cause excessive shifting between overdrive and the next lower gear. To eliminate this condition and achieve steadier performance, overdrive can be locked out

Reduce lugging up hill

Towing On Hills
Downshift the transmission to assist braking on steep downgrades and to increase power (reduce lugging) when climbing hills
Thanks for this. I don't tow much, but I am considering buying my first small camper. I want to acknowledge the time you spent on this posts and it is appreciated!
Sponsored

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Despite having the 4K tow package added cooling and the ambient temperatures being icy cold, the Ecoboost was running very hot. :(

Started off nice and cool:
Ford Maverick Max Towing Test - Maverick 4kAWD vs Santa Cruz vs Ridgeline - TFL Video Capture2.JPG

But then started rising pretty rapidly, yikes:
Ford Maverick Max Towing Test - Maverick 4kAWD vs Santa Cruz vs Ridgeline - TFL Video Capture.JPG

Other than that as a recap, my take-away:

Pulling power : SC > Ridgeline > Mav

Engine Braking : Ridgeline > Mav > SC

Fuel Efficiency : SC > Ridgeline > Mav

Ride Comfort : SC = Ridgeline > Mav

Towing capacity : SC = Ridgeline > Mav

They chose the SC and Mav respectively, both over the Ridgeline which is not bad as the Ridgeline is also a very capable vehicle.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
High Altitude Operation
Gasoline engines lose power by 3-4% per 1,000 ft. elevation. To maintain performance, reduce GVWs and GCWs by 2% per 1,000 ft. elevation starting at the 1,000 ft. elevation point.
Naturally aspirated engines lose power, but this is a turbocharged engine where elevation really doesn't matter much as the air is being compressed to a set boost level one way or another.

Ambient temperatures can play a big role in boosted engines, and the ambient temperatures were very low, meaning the intercooler would have been working exceptionally well.

Most likely the engine was making more power in those conditions than it would on a typical warm summer day in Houston at sea level. I've owned several turbocharged vehicles and driving in the winter is like having Vin Diesel sitting next to you holding down the nawz button.

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hoping the Mav with 4K can handle a 2500LB camp trailer driving at 70mph @ elevation in the mountain west without blowing up-

Z_ealot

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan 370Z, Honda Civic, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Despite having the 4K tow package added cooling and the ambient temperatures being icy cold, the Ecoboost was running very hot. :(

Started off nice and cool:
Capture2.JPG

But then started rising pretty rapidly, yikes:
Capture.JPG

Other than that as a recap, my take-away:

Pulling power : SC > Ridgeline > Mav

Engine Braking : Ridgeline > Mav > SC

Fuel Efficiency : SC > Ridgeline > Mav

Ride Comfort : SC = Ridgeline > Mav

Towing capacity : SC = Ridgeline > Mav

They chose the SC and Mav respectively, both over the Ridgeline which is not bad as the Ridgeline is also a very capable vehicle.
Just watched the video to make sure…. The ridge line and maverick were equal braking applications with each having to apply brakes 9 times compared to the Santa Cruz 12, you also got the fuel efficiency mixed up, the maverick was only .2 mpg behind the Santa Cruz…. Santa Cruz = ridgeline at 6.7mpg, with maverick being the last on that list at 6.5mpg. As far as concerning heat, you have to realize even ford’s towing guide recommends decreasing your towing weight by 2% for every 1,000 feet above sea level and also take into consideration this was a 7% grade they were climbing up…. You’re not gonna run into that most places as most mountain grades are 4% or below, regardless, the Santa Cruz did very well at towing up that mountain…. Now, whether that’s worth the extra $10k or more for that one advantage when it comes to towing…I think that’s gonna be on a person to person basis of what they’re actually looking for in the vehicle

Last edited:

Sponsored

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
After owning many good tow vehicles and towing clear across the country multiple times, even with the 4k tow package this Maverick is really only designed to tow 3k lbs or less. I'm perfectly fine with that. My heaviest trailer is 2800lbs. 4k lbs is physically too heavy for the Maverick chassis IMHO. And FWIW all vehicles get really hot towing in those conditions.

Z_ealot

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan 370Z, Honda Civic, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
After owning many good tow vehicles and towing clear across the country multiple times, even with the 4k tow package this Maverick is really only designed to tow 3k lbs or less. I'm perfectly fine with that. My heaviest trailer is 2800lbs. 4k lbs is physically too heavy for the Maverick chassis IMHO. And FWIW all vehicles get really hot towing in those conditions.

Same as far as what I’m considering towing, been looking at travel trailers that are under 3500 gvwr which pleasantly seem to be a growing part of the travel trailer market

Artopure

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lariat f150, And a 2022 maverick on order

I Agree, I mean especially people that want to tow campers. I feel like they are in for a rude awakening when they get on the highway and the lightness of the truck reveals itself. Plus combine that with the inexperience many seem to have.
Sponsored