Sponsored

Maverick All Wheel Drive (AWD) - full time / part time system?

44MAG

First Name
Melvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Dodge Charger
I'm not familiar with AWD at all. I've been told there is a full time system and a part time system. I've heard the Maverick comes with AWD . Which one does it have? THANKS, Mel
Sponsored

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm not familiar with AWD at all. I've been told there is a full time system and a part time system. I've heard the Maverick comes with AWD . Which one does it have? THANKS, Mel
The Maverick AWD runs in front wheel drive until the front wheels start to slip, then some power is transferred to the rear wheels. There are times that there is power in varying proportions to all four wheels. There is never power to only the rear wheels.

BARTMAVERICK

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ford Intelligent AWD
Intelligent All-Wheel Drive (AWD) is an advanced drivetrain system that is able to monitor hundreds of different pieces of data every second to help improve handling and traction, including:
  • Rate of acceleration
  • Wheel speed
  • Steering wheel angle
  • Accelerator pedal position
Using this information, it is able to send more torque to the rear wheels if it detects bad weather or road conditions, or send all the power to the front wheels in normal driving conditions in order to optimize fuel efficiency.
Some models even come with an Intelligent Display which is able to show you precisely how torque is being distributed between the different wheels.

Wire4money

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Wrangler
Engine
Undecided
It would be considered full time, as you can not shut it off. Part time awd, as in the sprinter vans, need to be turned on.

Sponsored

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It would be considered full time, as you can not shut it off. Part time awd, as in the sprinter vans, need to be turned on.
I've never heard it defined that way. Full time AWD implies that power is always going to all four wheels, part time means that only sometimes do all four wheels get power, which is how the Maverick will operate. Under normal conditions the back wheels are disengaged for fuel economy.

Scooter66

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford F-150 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've never heard it defined that way. Full time AWD implies that power is always going to all four wheels, part time means that only sometimes do all four wheels get power, which is how the Maverick will operate. Under normal conditions the back wheels are disengaged for fuel economy.
No, 4WD is part time because you select 2H, 4H or 4L. AWD is always on. AWD does not mean torque is sent to all wheels all the time. Look at this video

Ribwich

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
No, 4WD is part time because you select 2H, 4H or 4L. AWD is always on. AWD does not mean torque is sent to all wheels all the time. Look at this video
That's not usually how people refer to them. A 4WD vehicle may require you to shift the transfer case, but nobody calls that part time.

For AWD there are different setups. The Maverick and many current SUVs have what's called part time AWD because normally they operate only the front wheels unless additional traction is needed.

I have an Evo X and the AWD system on that is 50/50 split front and rear at nominal operation. It can also torque vector front to back or to each side independently. In some extreme maneuvers you might only have power driven to a single wheel.

The Maverick system isn't quite that sophisticated, but it'll work pretty well in most conditions. It has the advantage of better economy during normal driving. You won't notice any difference because rear traction will be there when you need it.

Last edited:

Scooter66

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford F-150 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
“That's not usually how people refer to them. A 4WD vehicle may require you to shift the transfer case, but nobody calls that part time.”
Um…. Toyota