ImGoose

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia SUV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am not sure if I only just started noticing this or if it's new. Ecoboost with FX4 and 4K Tow.

When I turn the wheel all the way to the right, I hear a low rumble coming from the back end at slow speeds (figure 5mph). Same when it's turned left, but maybe not quite as loud. As I ease up through a turn, the rumble will go away. Turn hard again in the same turn, the rumble comes back.

It definitely sounds like it's coming from the rear end of the truck and more specifically, the passenger side.

What's weird is that it's more apparent just after starting the truck and the first few turns. After a minute and short drive, it generally won't make the rumble sound again. I rarely use the parking brake, so unless that's automatically applied, I wouldn't think it's got anything to do with it. But it would make sense if it were not entirely disengaged after starting and then loosens up as I am driving, then no more noise.

Has anyone else noticed that or just me?
Sponsored

Dmilleri

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Big Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT, Alto Blue, 4K, AWD, Leather
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am not sure if I only just started noticing this or if it's new. Ecoboost with FX4 and 4K Tow.

When I turn the wheel all the way to the right, I hear a low rumble coming from the back end at slow speeds (figure 5mph). Same when it's turned left, but maybe not quite as loud. As I ease up through a turn, the rumble will go away. Turn hard again in the same turn, the rumble comes back.

It definitely sounds like it's coming from the rear end of the truck and more specifically, the passenger side.

What's weird is that it's more apparent just after starting the truck and the first few turns. After a minute and short drive, it generally won't make the rumble sound again. I rarely use the parking brake, so unless that's automatically applied, I wouldn't think it's got anything to do with it. But it would make sense if it were not entirely disengaged after starting and then loosens up as I am driving, then no more noise.

Sounds like a Sure Grip rear axle. Does the FX4 have one.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
Undecided

Hi there, I'd be happy to look into your Maverick concerns on my end. Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into things on my end.

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
congrats, you have a repeatable noise, take it in

Bn1970

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford-2L/250hp, Honda-1.5L/190hp, Mazda-1.6L/270hp.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Have the same issue since almost new. Never bothered to take it in as it did not get worse. My thought, it's probably the RF CV joint. Started at around 5K, truck now at 45K (75K km's)
Even though truck is bone stock and still under warranty, I refuse to take it in unless it's literally undriveable. That's how much faith I have in dealership service depts. Please keep this updated. tks.

Sponsored

Bn1970

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

identical symptoms here except me/everyone else including dealer tech, . assumed it was RF CV joint. finally took into dealership. rear diff is being changed.

OP
OP

ImGoose

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia SUV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Wow. That's interesting. Do you tow at all? I do and was wondering if it had anything to do with that.

Bn1970

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
no correlation. flat tow 1800 lb miata , 5x/year, 3-400 km round trip.. noise started around 5000 km's,(well before track season, got truck in November) never got worse. now at 80 000 km's. was shocked when told rear diff. bringing it in around January, will update then.

OP
OP

ImGoose

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia SUV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Little follow up -

I took the truck in for an airbag recall and asked them to check into this sound. They were able to replicate the sound.

Comment was "inspected rear end fluid and no abnormal debris were found. Also fluid did look a little burned. replaced rear end fluid. Also inspected parking brake area. Found a little rust nothing abnormal. Cleaned and no more concerns we present."

I didn't think a fluid change could make a difference, but it may have. I no longer hear the low rumble when turned hard one direction and idle forward speed. So either that actually worked or there was rust somewhere that they cleaned and actually made a difference.

Bn1970

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
quite the coincidence. Got a call from dealer, Ford is instructing them to do a drain/fill on the rear diff. before doing a full re/re. going in next week.