First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Engine
Undecided
I can see a problem here given the allocation formula that Ford might be trying to address.

LM is shipping Mavericks out of the region at a far higher rate than typical dealers. They are competing within the region for allocations, in essence taking sales away from dealers in that region, leaving the region short on local sales.

also a region I would guess has far more small dealerships due to the spread out population.
Sponsored

Ellebob

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 5
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I can understand Ford wanting to reward its better performing dealerships but the allocation system is a poor method and hurts consumers in the long run and probably drives more people away from the brand. I know people that have ordered Mavericks/Broncos and just gave up and got something else. Some were due to circumstance but others were tired of waiting and tired of not knowing where they are in the queue.

It doesn't seem like the allocation system accounts for regional differences. Obviously the four-wheel drive models are going to do better in northern climates so there won't be as many hybrids sold there. So the people that do order hybrids in northern climates are probably not having a lot of allocations and will be waiting longer. Never mind other factors like regional gas prices, rural versus city dealers, etc.

Ford is only hurting itself with this allocation system. While I appreciate LM presence here in providing info I have no plans to go to Kansas and drivea Maverick back 2000 plus miles to get one. That doesn't even account for the time I would have to get off of work or travel expenses or the cost to get it shipped.

Don't know why LM has no allocations for a month but if it's because Ford is trying to equal things out for consumers nationwide I will applaud them. Partly because we have no idea as a consumer what each dealership is allotted for allocations. That information would have certainly changed where many of us ordered our vehicles from. Most people that are just going to their local Ford dealership shouldn't be penalized for that.

Hopefully, for all of us that are still waiting for build dates we get one soon!

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I can see a problem here given the allocation formula that Ford might be trying to address.

LM is shipping Mavericks out of the region at a far higher rate than typical dealers. They are competing within the region for allocations, in essence taking sales away from dealers in that region, leaving the region short on local sales.

also a region I would guess has far more small dealerships due to the spread out population.
Good point

JohnHartshorn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Toyota Sienna XSE - Mav Hybrid XLT LUX Area 51
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Meant in there name so dealer has trucks to flip/ adm
Ford threatened to penalize dealers who did this. If the percentage of COVP orders making final delivery to the original customer dropped below a certain percentage, sanctions would occur. It varied between 85% and 95% for the 2022my. Since the my23 did not require COVP originally, the threat was dropped, and who knows if Ford actually followed through with it for 2022 anyway. The problem is Ford has very little control over the dealers due to state laws in just about every state. That's why Tesla has built their handful of showrooms on tribal lands that are not subject to the state laws.

JohnHartshorn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Toyota Sienna XSE - Mav Hybrid XLT LUX Area 51
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I can understand Ford wanting to reward its better performing dealerships but the allocation system is a poor method and hurts consumers in the long run and probably drives more people away from the brand. I know people that have ordered Mavericks/Broncos and just gave up and got something else. Some were due to circumstance but others were tired of waiting and tired of not knowing where they are in the queue.

It doesn't seem like the allocation system accounts for regional differences. Obviously the four-wheel drive models are going to do better in northern climates so there won't be as many hybrids sold there. So the people that do order hybrids in northern climates are probably not having a lot of allocations and will be waiting longer. Never mind other factors like regional gas prices, rural versus city dealers, etc.

Ford is only hurting itself with this allocation system. While I appreciate LM presence here in providing info I have no plans to go to Kansas and drivea Maverick back 2000 plus miles to get one. That doesn't even account for the time I would have to get off of work or travel expenses or the cost to get it shipped.

Don't know why LM has no allocations for a month but if it's because Ford is trying to equal things out for consumers nationwide I will applaud them. Partly because we have no idea as a consumer what each dealership is allotted for allocations. That information would have certainly changed where many of us ordered our vehicles from. Most people that are just going to their local Ford dealership shouldn't be penalized for that.

Hopefully, for all of us that are still waiting for build dates we get one soon!
The allocation system made sense under the old business model. You went the to the dealer, perused the lot, picked the one that matched your needs the best. Maybe the dealer inquired at nearby dealerships to see if one they had was a better match. Maybe 5% of non-fleet orders were custom ordered.

That business model is dead (at least for the moment). Now I bet 85% of a dealers business is custom order (or at least reservation like Toyota is doing). Ford needs to update to the times. Dealer STOCK orders, use the old allocation system. Custom RETAIL orders should be first in/first delivered to the greatest degree possible - Putting the CUSTOMER ahead of the dealer - keeping constraints in mind of course.

Sponsored

prsncat

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT EB AWD BAP CP360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I was thinking about this discussion, and a few thoughts came to mind.
  • I know the tendency is to complain about this process. Yet, I think optimizing production capacity and figuring out an equitable allocation of the orders @Ford Motor Company would be a rewarding job. I would jump at the chance to join a team doing this.
  • Ford is producing as many Mavericks as they can. If LM is not getting them, then another dealership is. One person is happy while another is unhappy. We should hope every manufactured unit goes to the retail customer who placed the order and is happy with their purchase.
  • Let us also hope all Ford dealers do a fantastic job managing the 2024 Model Year ordering process. I am ordering a 2024 Model Year Maverick when the order banks open, will cross my fingers that I picked the right dealer, and hope that I picked a configuration with a high probability of being built. I am willing to wait for one that I can buy at MSRP -- the resale market markups are crazy.

WNYEscapee

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick, 2019 Cherokee
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Zero allocations for a month means nothing. What their total allocations are for the year are what matters.
A couple vehicles missed being built in a week/month could be simply replaced by a vehicle or two more in other weeks/months. What total ends up having been built by the end of model year production is what matters.

Irving

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Engine
Undecided
LM isn’t typical. Guess around 750 Maverick orders and monthly allocations in the 30-75 range. That isn’t going to get made up like losing one or two allocations.

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For those who are whining about LM not getting any allocations this month remember every allocation they get means one less Maverick getting a build date for all the rest of the dealers in LM's Region.

Dallas is in the same region as LM so for every additional allocation LM gets we here in Dallas and other dealers in the Region get one less allocation.

It is now almost 9 months since I ordered and today is the first time I have moved to priority 2 (previewing) so I believe that Ford is letting other dealers in LM's Region get a chance for some of their orders getting a build date.

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
seems fair to me

Sponsored

Redneck Garage

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.theredneckgarage.com
Vehicle(s)
10 Wrangler 22 Lexus 22 Maverick 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I ordered from LM early - looks like that was a mistake LOL. As one that has been here since the beginning, this dumpster fire Ford has created with their jacked up ordering system just gets better and better - No roll over orders for 2024 and no price protection. Maybe I will get a " Were sorry we screwed you for 2023, please try again " email.

Last edited:

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I ordered from LM early - looks like that was a mistake LOL. As one that has been here since the beginning, this dumpster fire Ford has created with their jacked up ordering system just gets better and better - No roll over orders for 2024 and no price protection. Maybe I will get a " Were sorry we screwed you for 2023, please try again "
I watched Tim's show last night like I normally do but there was a good bit of background activity going on in the house so I couldn't hear well at times, so don't take this as fact, but best I could understand they might not have any more allocations for the rest of my23 orders, not just a month's worth, for the maverick, maybe that might be up in the air/unknown for sure? Sounded like ford is sticking to their original plan of no rollovers and no price protection from my23 to my24 not only for maverick but other models also. I didn't catch the number of unscheduled maverick orders they have left.

GRB

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F 150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I ordered from LM early - looks like that was a mistake LOL. As one that has been here since the beginning, this dumpster fire Ford has created with their jacked up ordering system just gets better and better - No roll over orders for 2024 and no price protection. Maybe I will get a " Were sorry we screwed you for 2023, please try again "
Yeah, I ordered Nov 2021, rolled over 2022, COVD and all that. I was fine until this May when my order # disappeared from Ford.com. Called and they said my order was" balanced out". Which basically means cancelled. This mess is all on Ford, don't believe it when they say it's the dealers fault. Those 5'000 orders they cancelled were orders belonging to people who thought they were getting a truck. Ford found a way to make it sound like it isn't their fault, it's the dealers who are taking the blame. Shame on Ford!!! I hope 5,000 people, their friends and families remember how they were treated when they consider their next vehicle!!!

Old Hickory Trojan

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Crosstrek Spt ,23 SC AWD,02 Jeep 4x4, 17 Winbgo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I watched Tim's show last night like I normally do but there was a good bit of background activity going on in the house so I couldn't hear well at times, so don't take this as fact, but best I could understand they might not have any more allocations for the rest of my23 orders, not just a month's worth, for the maverick, maybe that might be up in the air/unknown for sure? Sounded like ford is sticking to their original plan of no rollovers and no price protection from my23 to my24 not only for maverick but other models also. I didn't catch the number of unscheduled maverick orders they have left.
You heard correctly. No more allocations for the year with potential for supplements for those vehicles not needed at other dealers. Apparently Tim had a misunderstanding on how allocations would be updated monthly based upon sales but Ford just explained to Tim that the allocation number they got at the beginning of the model year was for the whole year...that was the reason they ran out of allocations as I understood it.

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well, Tim is an outstanding man that has helped a huge amount of people and I'm sure will continue doing so. They deserving had a great run in my22 and a large part of my23. I'm not a fan at all of the allocation system for verified customer retail orders, to me it should be first in first out regardless of dealer, location, etc. as long as the order doesn't have constrained components. Allocations are fine for dealer stock imo. But at the end of the day, it seems the allocation system's whole purpose is to evenly distribute fairly to all the dealers or at least those in the same region. I assume that's the reason in this case, which would be fair. But it's gotta be a gut punch to Tim, LM and a whole lot of their customers with unscheduled orders that likely won't be getting their vehicle.
Sponsored