First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Subaru Forester (current toad)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hmmm I ordered from Tim and I heard no sucking sound. To be fair with a new model that came out just the year before I'm not sure anyone really knew what the allocations would be. There were people that ordered from LM that were down the line quite a ways who got scheduled while people near the top have yet to be scheduled, probably due to constraints.

I knew LM was taking lots of orders and so should have everyone else. I was never promised a truck. I did the prudent thing and ordered from a smaller dealer as well. Shoot back in Sept 2022 lots of dealerships didn't even know what a Maverick was.
I agree. Plus, I believe LM was never supplied with an allocation estimate until after the order banks had already closed. I only ordered at my local dealer, but I would have also ordered from LM myself had I understood Ford was switching back to an allocation system with MY 23, which I did not understand until later.
Sponsored

James D

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volkswagon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford should tell dealers what their allocations will be and the dealerships should share that with the customer.
Yes! Good one sentence summary!

Dealers have lived and died by allocations for just about forever. For them to say Ford did not give them a number is pointing the finger. They can estimate based on last year's sales, just like every other year they have been in business. You need to know where you stand in their line, especially a line of hundreds like at LM.

A dealer not disclosing this critical piece of info is like your contractor having you sign his contract without telling you if he will ever "allocate" any manpower to your job.

Last edited:

Automate

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Hybrid, Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford should tell dealers what their allocations will be and the dealerships should share that with the customer.
Yes, along with how many orders they have already accepted, so one knows where they will be in line at that dealer.

Last edited:

Mav_RICK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes! Good one sentence summary.

Dealers have lived and died by allocations for just about forever. For them to say Ford did not give them a number is pointing the finger. They can estimate based on last year's sales, just like every other year they have been in business.

A dealer not disclosing this critical piece of info is like your contractor having you sign his contract without telling you if he will ever "allocate" any manpower to your job.
Yes great point. Let's take another angle on this though. Let's say a Ford dealership knows exactly how many allocations they have for the year and they take exactly that number of orders. 100 orders, but 25 of those orders are constrained and never get scheduled. Dealer only gets 75 orders filled. 25 left on the table. Now let's say they take 150 orders and 25 of those extra orders actually get scheduled because their orders were buildable. All dealer allocations are used and 25 more happy customers.

This is why I like the Toyota model better. When a dealer gets an allocation if reflects a unit that can be built. The customer says that fits what I want or at least close to what I want, I'll take it! That customer is going to get that vehicle period.

I think the Ford model if done correctly, (dealer knows allocations and customers knows as well), is fine if we are NOT dealing with a high demand highly constrained vehicle. That's defiantly not the Maverick.

Joe Mac

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350 F250 Super Duty
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ford management is terrible. Not only are they screwing customers. By far one of the best dealers does not get rewarded. Society nowadays rewards the lazy ones. Keep this up Ford, the competition will eat your lunch once again.
Ford management is terrible. Not only are they screwing customers. By far one of the best dealers does not get rewarded. Society nowadays rewards the lazy ones. Keep this up Ford, the competition will eat your lunch once again.
I'm pretty sure LM has been rewarded. All those trucks selling for MSRP and the dealer incentives that go with it.

Sponsored

Old Hickory Trojan

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Crosstrek Spt ,23 SC AWD,02 Jeep 4x4, 17 Winbgo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hmmm I ordered from Tim and I heard no sucking sound. To be fair with a new model that came out just the year before I'm not sure anyone really knew what the allocations would be. There were people that ordered from LM that were down the line quite a ways who got scheduled while people near the top have yet to be scheduled, probably due to constraints.

I knew LM was taking lots of orders and so should have everyone else. I was never promised a truck. I did the prudent thing and ordered from a smaller dealer as well. Shoot back in Sept 2022 lots of dealerships didn't even know what a Maverick was.
Not exactly...the dealers got the formula from Ford supposedly so they should have been able to calculate an approximate on the orders they would get. Tim himself said after the order fiasco for the 2023 that they overbooked.......I like the guy and his support but some of these posts seem to me a bit overboard..

prsncat

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT EB AWD BAP CP360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I agree with you David. There are a lot of LM fans who do not realize they got screwed and have no chance that their truck gets built.

LM sucked up orders from across the country that should have gone to a local dealer. My medium sized dealer had just 75 of this year's hybrid orders. Waiting in LM's long line of hundreds of Maverick orders, hoping to win the allocation lottery with all that competition, makes no sense.

I am not surprised their next month's allocations will be zero. On LM's video this week, Tim said 200 of their hybrids probably won't get delivered. Ouch! There are going to be a ton of LM order holders that will probably be upset at Tim after all these months of hoping.

If his buyers want to play the allocation game again, they will have to start the months of waiting all over, but this time compete with millions more trying to place orders now that they know the Maverick exists.

Last Sept was an order frenzy. LM should have stopped taking orders once they hit their expected allocations, which is easy to figure because it is based on last year's sales. No matter how wonderful you think Tim is, he should have warned his buyers that he had no allocations left - go buy from somewhere else.

I can understand an allocation system for dealer inventory, not customer orders. It should not matter which dealer you order a custom build from. Ford's attempt to be fair to dealers with allocations is very unfair to the people who actually buy Ford's product.
Keep in mind that this topic is not about LM in particular. It's a conversation about Ford informing dealers how many orders to take and falling short of delivering against that estimate.

Your statement about how Long McArthur accepted and when they stopped taking orders is wrong. They only accepted the number of orders they thought they could sell during the Model Year based on information provided to them by Ford. I am certain they could have sold twice as many orders as they accepted

@fordvideoguy (will correct me if I am wrong) explained how they calculated how many orders to take.

[Edited] LM estimated how many they should reasonably expect beyond the number of Mavericks carrying over from the 2022 Model Year. Thus, LM only accepted the number of orders they could reasonably expect.

Don't we wish every dealership also did this? Don't we wish people placed orders for the number of Mavericks they planned on buying instead of placing them with more than one dealer and taking the first order to come in? By the way, I am not saying this is wrong.

Yes, Tim was venting to members, and I am certain he won't expect anything to change. We should not expect anything we say here to have an impact, either. I choose to believe Ford is doing their best, and they don't like this situation any more than we do.

It's a fun conversation, and looking forward to reading other people's thoughts and opinions on this topic.

Last edited:

Mav_RICK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Keep in mind that this topic is not about LM in particular. It's a conversation about Ford informing dealers how many orders to take and falling short of delivering against that estimate.

Your statement about how Long McArthur accepted and when they stopped taking orders is wrong. They only accepted the number of orders they thought they could sell during the Model Year based on information provided to them by Ford. I am certain they could have sold twice as many orders as they accepted

@fordvideoguy (will correct me if I am wrong) explained how they calculated how many orders to take.

Ford indicated that the number of Mavericks carrying over from the 2022 Model Year is not factored into their 2023 Model Year allocation. Ford also indicated how many they can reasonably expect to receive during the 2023 Model Year. Thus, LM only accepted the number of orders Ford indicated they could reasonably expect.

Don't we wish every dealership also did this? Don't we wish people placed orders for the number of Mavericks they planned on buying instead of placing them with more than one dealer and taking the first order to come in? By the way, I am not saying this is wrong.

Yes, Tim was venting to members, and I am certain he won't expect anything to change. We should not expect anything we say here to have an impact, either. I choose to believe Ford is doing their best, and they don't like this situation any more than we do.

It's a fun conversation, and looking forward to reading other people's thoughts and opinions on this topic.
Right it can’t be just about LM since there is like what 20,000 Mavericks ordered that won’t be built? I could be off on that so someone correct me if I’m wrong.

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
IMO, Just another reason why Ford should strictly go First In First Out (as long as the order has no constrained items) on a Verified Customer Retail Order REGARDLESS of Dealer and forever more Dump this stupid Allocation crap. In addition to that Ford needs to prevent customers from ordering multiple (same model) vehicles from different dealers strategy some are using to hedge their odds of getting one. That does nothing but clog up and over inflate the order banks, prevents others trying to get theirs and ends up giving dealers more lot inventory to add ADM on.

Sponsored

NedF

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Was a '23 now a '24 Lariat Lux
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
IMO, Just another reason why Ford should strictly go First In First Out (as long as the order has no constrained items) on a Verified Customer Retail Order REGARDLESS of Dealer and forever more Dump this stupid Allocation crap. In addition to that Ford needs to prevent customers from ordering multiple (same model) vehicles from different dealers strategy some are using to hedge their odds of getting one. That does nothing but clog up and over inflate the order banks, prevents others trying to get theirs and ends up giving dealers more lot inventory to add ADM on.
I was coming here to say much the same. I can see possibly needing an allocation type system on dealer stock for the lot, but not for approved customer pre-orders... these should be FIFO based on availability of parts and allowing for scheduling of similar builds for productivity. Each dealer should have at least one Maverick for showing and test drives that is not sellable unless it is replaced by Ford via allocation.

OP
OP
paneubert

paneubert

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL/4K/AWD/CoPilot/CactusG/SlidingRearWindow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I was coming here to say much the same. I can see possibly needing an allocation type system on dealer stock for the lot, but not for approved customer pre-orders... these should be FIFO based on availability of parts and allowing for scheduling of similar builds for productivity. Each dealer should have at least one Maverick for showing and test drives that is not sellable unless it is replaced by Ford via allocation.
I would support this as well. Fun fact. I know for certain that there were orders that were submitted that first night at Long McArthur that have not been scheduled yet. That night when the order banks were being weird and not letting dealers hit "submit" even though they could build an order 99% of the way. I heard that Long McArthur figured out you could save the order as essentially a "draft" and then mass submit later all at once. They have orders that due to this, essentially were some of the first timestamped in the nation that have still not been scheduled. How could that ever be considered a dealership level problem and not a Ford Motor Company/Corporate level problem? Yeah, people can have opinions and thoughts about the total number of orders accepted at any given dealer, but that is "small potatoes" when compared to what corporate is deciding to do when it comes to allocations.

Shanemcn

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAV4 ,Nissan Frontier
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Just heard Long McArthur Ford is getting ZERO allocations for this coming month. (Corrected from saying "rest of the year").

FYI, they were ranked 3rd in the Nation for EcoBoost in sales for Month of May.
January-May of 2023, they are ranked 4th in the Nation in Hybrid sales.

Zero allocations......
Yes and I was sure I’d get scheduled this month, very frustrating

Drkuhar

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 cutlass, 2011 silverado,
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Maybe this means my little local dealer might actually get a Maverick. I’m a priority 10, but the allocations game has put me on the sideline. Ford should build all special orders before building any dealer stock units.
I am basically in the same boat with the small dealership i ordered from

jpdurr

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy HHR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I agree with you wholeheartedly.

My point is that Ford has stated several times that they plan on taking allocations away from the dealers that are adding large ADMs (and probably have a lower sales volume as a result).

For what it is worth, I still prefer the current independent dealership system over the direct-to-consumer model. We can always go to a different dealership if one treats us poorly. If you look at the list of dealerships I maintain for MTC, the vast majority of dealerships are 'Recommended.' There are very few dealerships people are warning us to avoid.
Not everyone lives close to their 2nd closest dealership. Also, when it comes to getting service, you may want to use the "Local" and convenient dealership. I don't have a problem with Manufactures utilizing a dealership network but I do have a problem with states and laws that prevent consumers from buying direct (should they, the consumers, or any manufacturer wish to use the direct model). It is flat out reducing competition and choice. Both can coexist.
Sponsored