Let's hope there is a manual transmission available

Shifter

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150, 2005 Mustang GT Convertible, 5-speed
Three of my four F-series Ford trucks were manuals, most recently 1998 and 2000 F-150 Supercabs (we were raising 4 kids). My 2013 would have been a manual, if I could get one. At least it's a 5.0. Current Ranger doesn't interest me.

I think a lot of people still want basic work trucks with a small jump seat, that are fun to drive. If they are making these trucks in Mexico and for export too, I'm certain they are making manuals.

PLEASE! Bring manual transmissions back to Canada and the US.
Sponsored

ghost1986

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Grand Marquis
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have two very different interpretations on this and what could happen

One is that they would never do a manual because basically the only people that even care about them is me and you and two other weirdos on the internet by this point. This is the more likely scenario to me especially when you look at the Escape and Bronco Sport without them. I really dont see a manual happening as much as I would love to it. Would reduce the cost a lot for a superior transmission thats for sure.

Option 2 would be they DO have a manual but ONLY on a totally base trim to hit the sub $20k mark they sorta teased. Automatics are stupid costly to put on new cars when optioned (one of many reasons i hate them) so i could see it being made possibly just to hit that fabled price point and nothing more. I would be absolutely fine with this option even if it meant i was forced into a base front wheel drive 1.5 3 cylinder model. The manual itself would trump a bigger engine and AWD for me personally. Id prefer a base trim anyway. Realistically my absolute preferred setup would be a 2.0 4 cylinder with all wheel drive and manual in a base trim but i dont see that happening. I could MAYBE see the awd and bigger engine optioned in the base trim if they follow the Broncos option-ability where its very open in terms of how to build the models out. If manuals dont exist, that would be my preferred way of building it out.

FutureOwnerInTN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV/Car
Engine
Undecided
I agree with the above. I think based on the little info we know & the views of the interior testing mule it has a mixture of Escape/Bronco Sport parts...especially that solid console. The thing I keep thinking is that they have to also be expecting this to go overseas. Either South America, and/or UK. Maybe Asia as well. If the commercial market steps up on these, or even is ahead of the game to place large orders that may drive the manual argument too. If we do get to have that option it will be the base stripped down model. For you guys & those other two wierdos i hope they give you the option. Maybe like the new Bronco crowd...if yall yell loud enough they will offer it.

binmack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I'm only one guy but I will not buy a truck with out a manual. When my last Ford, a 2011 Ford Ranger (4.0 / 5spd) had to be replaced I had few options. I purchased a Tacoma because they had a truck with a stick. The Tacoma is a good truck but its wasn't my first choice. The Maverick would be perfect for me but no stick no sale.

Art Vandelay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Lariat Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm a manual transmission guy too, but I believe the odds are very low that the Maverick will have that option. The ONLY thing that gives me some hope is that it's based on the same platform as the new Bronco Sport which will be offered in a manual so maybe because they already have the platform ready with parts for a manual it could happen. Even with that fact though I still believe the chances are very low. If it were to happen then I believe Ghost1986's Option #2 above would be the likely scenario.

Sponsored

Art Vandelay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Lariat Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Bronco Sport is not offered in a manual. The full-size Bronco is. The Bronco Sport has the 8-speed rotary dial transmission.

The full-size Bronco having a manual option opens the door for the next gen Ranger to possibly have a manual option when it's revamped in 2023, since they'll be based on the same T6.1 platform. But even that is a slim possibility in my eyes.
I could have sworn I saw that the Bronco Sport was going to a manual, I guess I mixed them up. I agree on it being a slim chance of the next Ranger having a manual.

Charcoal

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 F150 and Kia forte
I drive an 07 f150 with a 5 speed and refuse to let it go unless I get something else with a stick. if the maverick doesn't have one im not gonna buy.

Xtreme Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota
I’m not putting any confidence in the availability of a manual transmission for the Maverick.

Rickus

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 Chevy LUV Truck, Can Am Spyder RT & F3S
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have two very different interpretations on this and what could happen

One is that they would never do a manual because basically the only people that even care about them is me and you and two other weirdos on the internet by this point. This is the more likely scenario to me especially when you look at the Escape and Bronco Sport without them. I really dont see a manual happening as much as I would love to it. Would reduce the cost a lot for a superior transmission thats for sure.

Option 2 would be they DO have a manual but ONLY on a totally base trim to hit the sub $20k mark they sorta teased. Automatics are stupid costly to put on new cars when optioned (one of many reasons i hate them) so i could see it being made possibly just to hit that fabled price point and nothing more. I would be absolutely fine with this option even if it meant i was forced into a base front wheel drive 1.5 3 cylinder model. The manual itself would trump a bigger engine and AWD for me personally. Id prefer a base trim anyway. Realistically my absolute preferred setup would be a 2.0 4 cylinder with all wheel drive and manual in a base trim but i dont see that happening. I could MAYBE see the awd and bigger engine optioned in the base trim if they follow the Broncos option-ability where its very open in terms of how to build the models out. If manuals dont exist, that would be my preferred way of building it out.
Hey, I'm not weird ! Just un-normal. I can't have a manual tranny since my wife's left foot was shattered in an accident and she can't push the clutch pedal. She is upset too. Shifting is so much fun.

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boxster, Yamaha FJ1300, Maverick XL
My first truck was 3 on the tree and no power steering. Of course that was a 67 Chevy. A real truck.

Sponsored

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Quite a few views on this thread, looks like a market to me. Who want to start a petition, any college kids out there lol?

I would love a manual I am working on swapping my comanche to a manual. I also hope to eventually swap my Eagle to a manual one day. They are superior in every way if you actually love driving your cars. Anybody who doesnt like it can go chug a quart of ATF, I've had to fixing the damn slushboxes.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Do any vehicles with the 2,0L ecoboost have manuals? I dont think there are and I wouldn't hold my breath. The market for manuals is very small and Ford isn't going to dump a bunch of money into manufacturing something with basically no margin.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I don't think a few people as a market. Ford has no issue selling these so they are not looking to extend the market for a few people. There's still a few options out there but slowly disappearing.
1348 people were interested in this thread, thats something. Factor in cheaper production(once developed) fleets would buy em, enthusiasts would buy em. And they are inherently safer because you have to pay attention to driving so there is awards waiting for that.

Its a dream, but honestly the maverick to me is a vehicle for the poor masses that do not get to go up to the floating city. It would be a viable candidate.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
1348 people were interested in this thread, thats something. Factor in cheaper production(once developed) fleets would buy em, enthusiasts would buy em. And they are inherently safer because you have to pay attention to driving so there is awards waiting for that.

Its a dream, but honestly the maverick to me is a vehicle for the poor masses that do not get to go up to the floating city. It would be a viable candidate.
I had a manual pickup and I do not agree that they are inherently safer. You can't keep both hands on the wheel if you have to shift.

bombast

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Fleets buy automatics unless they absolutely need to, the inherit cheapness of manuals is countered by economies of scale, and the claims they are safer because "you have to pay attention" are entirely unsupported and largely just masturbatory posturing from "enthusiast."

EDIT: Also, the masses have spoken. They picked automatics.
Sponsored