1Guy1Truck

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I know I’m not alone with this issue as I’ve seen it reported in many peoples hybrids, mostly in cold climates. Please post here to this thread if you are having the following issue and any fixes and attempts your dealer has made. Maybe we can use this as a guide to hopefully fix what is becoming a more common problem.
Here’s the issue. When in park and idling I get a very rough and loud idle. Engine shakes and clunks and but goes away once put into gear. May or may not have had a check engine light indicating a misfire. (Mine did) I’ve included videos of mine for reference.
I want to get this fixed but my dealer as well as Ford are stumped and maybe this could help people. I am growing frustrated with this vehicle and if not resolved will be trading it in. I want to like it so this is a last ditch effort.
If possible please pin this.

Sponsored

Automate

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Hybrid, Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does it only happen on 1st startup on cold days?

OP
OP
1Guy1Truck

1Guy1Truck

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Hybrid Nut

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I know I’m not alone with this issue as I’ve seen it reported in many peoples hybrids, mostly in cold climates. Please post here to this thread if you are having the following issue and any fixes and attempts your dealer has made. Maybe we can use this as a guide to hopefully fix what is becoming a more common problem.
Here’s the issue. When in park and idling I get a very rough and loud idle. Engine shakes and clunks and but goes away once put into gear. May or may not have had a check engine light indicating a misfire. (Mine did) I’ve included videos of mine for reference.
I want to get this fixed but my dealer as well as Ford are stumped and maybe this could help people. I am growing frustrated with this vehicle and if not resolved will be trading it in. I want to like it so this is a last ditch effort.

Is your Maverick an earlier build.?? i just got my hybrid in Nov and have seen plenty of cold mornings but have never experienced the rattle. Maybe Ford fixed some of these issues on newer build.s. Only complaint i have is the grabby brakes. Good luck diagnosing your problem.

Catmandu

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Bookmarked this to see progress. That engine just ain't right...

So far my only gripes in cold weather have been severely impacted fuel consumption, hoping this engine issue does not appear.

Sponsored

OP
OP
1Guy1Truck

1Guy1Truck

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is your Maverick an earlier build.?? i just got my hybrid in Nov and have seen plenty of cold mornings but have never experienced the rattle. Maybe Ford fixed some of these issues on newer build.s. Only complaint i have is the grabby brakes. Good luck diagnosing your problem.
It’s a 2/22 build. I’d like to think if Ford fixed it in later builds they would have been able to diagnose and fix mine. Everything they have guided the service department to do has done nothing.

OP
OP
1Guy1Truck

1Guy1Truck

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Bookmarked this to see progress. That engine just ain't right...

So far my only gripes in cold weather have been severely impacted fuel consumption, hoping this engine issue does not appear.
Good luck. Mine is definitely not the only one. There’s been posts, comments here and across Facebook groups. It’s spent as much time in the ford service department as it has in my driveway. I’m close to giving up but hoping for a bottom of the 9th fix.

Hybrid Nut

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

You would think a good mechanic with a good scan tool system could find the problem. its very obvious. I can here it clearly in your video. But this hybrid is a strange configuration with it switching back and forth between battery and ice depending on battery charge and load . Probably a simple problem but finding the cause could take someone with alot of hybrid experience and proper diagnostic tools. Which the dealers should have !!! I suppose the Maverick and Escape hybrids are new enough technology that not many mechanics understand them yet. Good luck.

Redneck Garage

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.theredneckgarage.com
Vehicle(s)
10 Wrangler 22 Lexus 22 Maverick 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Pretty sure what you are experiencing is the same problem as some of the the Hybrid Escapes are having.

HF45 Transmission – Rattle Noise On Cold Start – 2020-2022 Ford Escape
https://ford.oemdtc.com/7731/hf45-transmission-rattle-noise-on-cold-start-2020-2021-ford-escape

The 2020 Hybrid Escape actually sounds just like this and Ford issued multiple TSB's for it - turns out to actually be the transmission making the noise and not the engine - Same model transmission as the Maverick The HF45.

SSM 49411: 2020 Escape -HF45 Transmission -Rattle Noise On Cold Start Some 2020 Escape vehicles equipped with a HF45 transmission may exhibit a rattle noise on cold start up when only when engine is running. This noise may be more prevalent in cold weather conditions, typically at or below 0ŒC (32ŒF). Engineering is currently working to resolve this issue. Inform customers that Ford is working on a solution expected in January. In the interim, let the customer know that the vehicle is safe to drive, and schedule a follow-up appointment with the customer for late January. Once the solution becomes available, contact the customer and confirm the service appointment is going forward. Monitor OASIS for updates. Transmission replacement may not correct this concern. Vehicles: 2020 Escape (CX482) (TC)

And Also -

SSM 49646: 2020-2021 Escape, 2021 Corsair - HF45 Transmission - Rattle Noise On Cold Start Some 2020-2021 Escape and 2021 Corsair vehicles equipped with a HF45 transmission may exhibit a rattle noise on cold start up when only when engine is running. This noise may be more prevalent in cold weather conditions, typically at or below 0ŒC (32ŒF). Engineering is currently working to resolve this issue. Inform customers that Ford is working on a calibration release for end of April 2021. In the interim, let the customer know that the vehicle is safe to drive, and schedule a follow-up appointment with the customer for late April. Once the solution becomes available, contact the customer and confirm the service appointment is going forward. Monitor OASIS for updates. Transmission replacement may not correct this concern. Vehicles: 2021 Corsair (CX483) (TF) 2020-2021 Escape (CX482) (TC)

Last edited:
OP
OP
1Guy1Truck

1Guy1Truck

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Pretty sure what you are experiencing is the same problem as some of the the Hybrid Escapes are having.

https://ford.oemdtc.com/7731/hf45-transmission-rattle-noise-on-cold-start-2020-2021-ford-escape

The 2020 Hybrid Escape actually sounds just like this and Ford issued multiple TSB's for it - turns out to actually be the transmission making the noise and not the engine - Same model transmission as the Maverick The HF45.

SSM 49411: 2020 Escape -HF45 Transmission -Rattle Noise On Cold Start Some 2020 Escape vehicles equipped with a HF45 transmission may exhibit a rattle noise on cold start up when only when engine is running. This noise may be more prevalent in cold weather conditions, typically at or below 0ŒC (32ŒF). Engineering is currently working to resolve this issue. Inform customers that Ford is working on a solution expected in January. In the interim, let the customer know that the vehicle is safe to drive, and schedule a follow-up appointment with the customer for late January. Once the solution becomes available, contact the customer and confirm the service appointment is going forward. Monitor OASIS for updates. Transmission replacement may not correct this concern. Vehicles: 2020 Escape (CX482) (TC)

And Also -

SSM 49646: 2020-2021 Escape, 2021 Corsair - HF45 Transmission - Rattle Noise On Cold Start Some 2020-2021 Escape and 2021 Corsair vehicles equipped with a HF45 transmission may exhibit a rattle noise on cold start up when only when engine is running. This noise may be more prevalent in cold weather conditions, typically at or below 0ŒC (32ŒF). Engineering is currently working to resolve this issue. Inform customers that Ford is working on a calibration release for end of April 2021. In the interim, let the customer know that the vehicle is safe to drive, and schedule a follow-up appointment with the customer for late April. Once the solution becomes available, contact the customer and confirm the service appointment is going forward. Monitor OASIS for updates. Transmission replacement may not correct this concern. Vehicles: 2021 Corsair (CX483) (TF) 2020-2021 Escape (CX482) (TC)
Dude thank you! It does sound like the transmission so maybe this is it.

Sponsored

Redneck Garage

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.theredneckgarage.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Dude thank you! It does sound like the transmission so maybe this is it.
I think it is just a matter of time until Ford realizes it has the same issues with some of the early made Mavericks.

OP
OP
1Guy1Truck

1Guy1Truck

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

And Also -

Did Ford ever resolve the issue? This is from last year and it said they were working on a fix.

Redneck Garage

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.theredneckgarage.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Redneck Garage

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.theredneckgarage.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Did Ford ever resolve the issue? This is from last year and it said they were working on a fix.
So far the fix was first reprogramming then if that didn't work remove and replace the flex plate on the transmission. - this TSB came out in 2022- Pretty sure its exactly what you are dealing with.

Ford Maverick Let’s try to fix this major hybrid issue together fordtrans

EnergyMan

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Beetle
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

The first thing to check would be the lemon laws in your state. You can do a Google search or go to your states DMV website to find out. If your state has a lemon law then you might be able to require Ford to either refund your money or replace the vehicle. Of course that may put you back on the waiting list.
Sponsored