First Name
ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
i'm leaving my hybrid sitting in my garage for a few months......what can i expect when i try to start it up?
Sponsored

Mav_RICK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Something g like this

Battery Tender 3 AMP Car Charger - Automotive Switchable 6/12V, Fully Automatic and Maintainer for Cars, SUVs, Trucks 6V/12V, 022-0202-COS https://a.co/d/fkuU6K8

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
i'm leaving my hybrid sitting in my garage for a few months......what can i expect when i try to start it up?
Manual has long term storage instructions which includes disconnecting battery. Also you should insure that the HVB battery has as much a charge as possible if storage time is extended. If 6 months and probably more a battery tender should be adequate.

Sponsored

Ozarkbeard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 XL CP360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

You can expect it to not start unless you get a battery tender. A battery tender can also prolong overall battery lifetime by preventing deep discharge. You can leave it connected while you're gone.

Read the manual on proper long-term storage of your vehicle (the online version of the manual is searchable). In addition to what it recommends; before you park it, you might consider starting the truck, then pushing the go pedal to start the gasoline engine. Turn on the heat (not defrost) to MAX temp+fan and let it run a while. Running the gasoline engine should help charge the high voltage battery.

OP
OP

krg

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
i thought another option would to start the car remotely every week or so......thoughts?

paneubert

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL/4K/AWD/CoPilot/CactusG/SlidingRearWindow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
i thought another option would to start the car remotely every week or so......thoughts?
It will only remote start once if you don't then get in it and actually insert the key/have the fob in the truck and press the start button. If you remote start it and then let it time out for 15 minutes, it won't let you remote start it again until after you are physically in the truck and start it the old fashioned way.

OP
OP

krg

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It will only remote start once if you don't then get in it and actually insert the key/have the fob in the truck and press the start button. If you remote start it and then let it time out for 15 minutes, it won't let you remote start it again until after you are physically in the truck and start it the old fashioned way.
shit.....looks like it's going to be a maintainer....

Sponsored

KathyG

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kathy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I put a Noco Genius on board 2 amp charger in the engine compartment. Just attach red to the jump post and black to a body ground and you can leave it hooked up with an extension cord for the duration of your absence. I was away for about 3 months right after I got my truck and had no problems at all - and no "deep sleep" messages on Ford Pass either.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

shit.....looks like it's going to be a maintainer....
Sorry.

The 12 v "maintainer" is not going to do anything about maintaining the high voltage hybrid battery.

Not running a hybrid for a long interval is the absolute worst thing you can do to it, short of crashing it into a tree.

When new and shiny, you can PROBABLY survive letting it sit 2-3 months.

When 3-5 years old; you MUST start and run the engine for 5-10 minutes once a month. This is a must must must do. I can't stress this strongly enough.

When the truck (and hybrid battery) gets 10+ years old, you'd better be running the truck once a week.

Unless you are in a lease and will be turning the truck in and don't give a bleep.

car18curious

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Engine
Undecided
Good to know. Thanks

car18curious

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Engine
Undecided
Sorry.

The 12 v "maintainer" is not going to do anything about maintaining the high voltage hybrid battery.

Not running a hybrid for a long interval is the absolute worst thing you can do to it, short of crashing it into a tree.

When new and shiny, you can PROBABLY survive letting it sit 2-3 months.

When 3-5 years old; you MUST start and run the engine for 5-10 minutes once a month. This is a must must must do. I can't stress this strongly enough.

When the truck (and hybrid battery) gets 10+ years old, you'd better be running the truck once a week.

Unless you are in a lease and will be turning the truck in and don't give a bleep.
I had no idea. Thanks

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I had no idea. Thanks
FWIW

I just let my 22 Mav sit for 9 days over the Holidays.

My 12 volt battery went down 20%.
My HV hybrid battery went down 10%.

The truck went into "sleep" mode but I never got any messages. Just when I came back, no dome lights when I opened the door. That got me suspicious. I immediately checked voltage and it was 11.8 volts.
Sponsored