First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Checked other online buyers Cavana, Vroom, CarMax, etc.

Found all those players offers changing all the time. For example, Cavana was the best offer and then became the worst.

Almost sold to Vroom because of it's everything online. But to the final steps to read their fine prints, I don't feel comfortable to give them my car and the title before getting a check and knowing they would check my car days later and have the right to change their offer if they believe my assessment of condition different from theirs. Come on, it's a used car, they will always be able to use that card.

So, finally I decide to get up early today and drive 60 miles to the Autonation buyer, a BMW dealer. For an onsite 5 minutes check, they agree to pay the prior online assessed amount. Then I need to wait 30-45minutes to collect the paperwork and check. Quite smooth transaction.

Moral of the story, I want to conclude the transaction with as less uncertainty as possible. And I believe the 60-mile drive is a very reasonable price to buy my peace of mind.
Sponsored

FromAway

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat FX4 4K Cactus Grey
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So, finally I decide to get up early today and drive 60 miles to the Autonation buyer, a BMW dealer. For an onsite 5 minutes check, they agree to pay the prior online assessed amount. Then I need to wait 30-45minutes to collect the paperwork and check. Quite smooth transaction.
You descrived the exact experience I had selling my old Focus to CarMax after I got my Maverick. You have to be mindful though. They initially filled out the paperwork wrong (giving them the benefit of the doubt), but when I brought it up they immediately gave me the price quoted online. I still have no idea how they could give me $12k for my 2012 Focus after 10 years. It only had 60k miles, but still it was only like $26k new and had to have the engine and transmission replaced in that time. Worst car I ever owned, not counting the Pinto I came home from the hospital in after being born.

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
To the OP, I would have driven more than 60 miles to be able to deal with actual live people and have the agreed upon price before handing over car & title. The old saying beauty is in the eyes of the beholder very much applies to used vehicles.

tellyouwhat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Maverick Hybrid Alto Lux BAP 360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well worth the 60 mile drive for a transaction like that. But you sold your old car so how you get home? I assume someone had to follow you and bring you home, that person is a trooper

Last edited:

gwrace14651

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I'm currently in the process of selling my wifes car as we plan to take delivery of her new one in late December. I got estimates from 11,500 up to 17K for the same car from those sources already mentioned. Decided to list with a local consignment dealer for a few thousand more. Will see how that goes. I have the option to pull it back anytime and just pay the listing and detailing cost.

OP
OP

WildHorse

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well worth the 60 mile drive for a transaction like that. But you sold your old car so how you get home? I assume someone had to follow you and bring you home, that person is a trooper
Lyft, not as expensive as I thought
Sponsored