Sponsored

Is the Hybrid powerful enough to tow a boat?

Tbolt

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' EcoSport SES, 22' Lariat Lux FX4 Eco Mav
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Never mind the fact you will be over the limit that it's supposed to tow, you will regret trying that the first time you can't get it out of the water and up the ramp.
Sponsored

CG - All the way

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram, 2005, 2500 Diesel, 22 Lariat, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Never mind the fact you will be over the limit that it's supposed to tow, you will regret trying that the first time you can't get it out of the water and up the ramp.
I really, really, doubt that this would happen. His boat is only a bit over the rated limit. A boat this size requires less water depth to launch than a heavier boat. Hence, the slope of the ramp can be much less to obtain the necessary water depth. Finding the right ramp is important.

Lvsparky83

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It may be “powerful enough” but not recommend that’s why they have specs. Can the Maverick hybrid go 110? yes should you drive it 110 daily consistently? NO it’s not made to be driven 110mph everyday for a long period of time. Get the Ecoboost and save your self time at the dealer and regretting the purchase. Get the correct truck/car for your needs. Don’t go cheap it will cost you in the long run.

Tbolt

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I really, really, doubt that this would happen. His boat is only a bit over the rated limit. A boat this size requires less water depth to launch than a heavier boat. Hence, the slope of the ramp can be much less to obtain the necessary water depth. Finding the right ramp is important.
You are discounting that there is trailer weight, gear, etc. You also have NO idea what kind of ramp launch he/she will be using. It's a bad idea. Not just from spec's but being a light two wheel drive vehicle will pose it's own problems.

CG - All the way

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It may be “powerful enough” but not recommend that’s why they have specs. Can the Maverick hybrid go 110? yes should you drive it 110 daily consistently? NO it’s not made to be driven 110mph everyday for a long period of time. Get the Ecoboost and save your self time at the dealer and regretting the purchase. Get the correct truck/car for your needs. Don’t go cheap it will cost you in the long run.
I do not really totally disagree with your statement. Curious, if you had a boat and trailer that weighed 4200 lbs. and lived not far from the launch point, would you buy a Ranger because the EB Maverick with tow package was not "correct" for you needs?? Just asking!

Sponsored

CG - All the way

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You are discounting that there is trailer weight, gear, etc. You also have NO idea what kind of ramp launch he/she will be using. It's a bad idea. Not just from spec's but being a light two wheel drive vehicle will pose it's own problems.
In an earlier response I said 2100 total lbs. A FWD EB with tow package does not weigh much more than the FWD Hybrid... Really not just that it is light, but FWD??

Lvsparky83

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I do not really totally disagree with your statement. Curious, if you had a boat and trailer that weighed 4200 lbs. and lived not far from the launch point, would you buy a Ranger because the EB Maverick with tow package was not "correct" for you needs?? Just asking!
Myself yes. If I was planning on towing anything. The towing capacity would be the number I would focus on not MPG or other specs that I like. The Specifications are there for safety reasons. At the end of the day it’s going to be your truck, you can try and hook up a house and pull it if you want. Just remember all that wear and tear you been putting on the engine and brake system when it don’t want to go an more. But at that point just sale it to CarMax and let it be there problem.

CG - All the way

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Myself yes. If I was planning on towing anything. The towing capacity would be the number I would focus on not MPG or other specs that I like. The Specifications are there for safety reasons. At the end of the day it’s going to be your truck, you can try and hook up a house and pull it if you want. Just remember all that wear and tear you been putting on the engine and brake system when it don’t want to go an more. But at that point just sale it to CarMax and let it be there problem.
I understand. It is a personal choice. I do think, and certainly do not know, that when Ford or any other large manufacturer puts a specification limit on something, they have built in a "fudge factor" because they know that many consumers will push the limit on what they list. Can you bank on that, no. I would guess that in most situations, 5% over a manufacturer's limit would not be problematic.... Just saying......

OP
OP

maplefu

First Name
Maple
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MiniVan
I bought Maverick for family use, not just for towing the boat. Otherwise should get F150 at least. I don't like Range. The design is not for family usage. The price of F150 is about 100k, much higher than Maverick.
According to the price, lower than 50k, I think Maverick is the best choice for entertainment and daily use.

thevol

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver Mav 2.0 AWD 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sounds like you enjoy the outdoors if you have a boat. You will probably be happiest in the AWD 2.0 4K in the long run as you wont be stuck on a ramp or wondering if you are towing overweight, just be sure and take it off the mpg screens if you are obsessed with mpg, thats what I do on my truck and just dont worry about it, it gets what it gets :)

Sponsored

Tbolt

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
In an earlier response I said 2100 total lbs. A FWD EB with tow package does not weigh much more than the FWD Hybrid... Really not just that it is light, but FWD??
Two Wheel drive vehicles get in trouble on boat ramps all the time, The issue you run into with a FWD is that all the weight being on the back reduces your front weight when pulling it out making it problematic if you have a steep, wet, or slick incline. There is no margin for error with this setup before that Maverick becomes aquatic.

stevhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Compared to the AWD, the hybrid tow is much less powerful.
I will have a boat (maybe less than 1000kg totally) after I get the Maverick. Should I go with AWD or hybrid?
Can you post a picture of your boat, trailer and motor? It would make it a lot easier to answer your question.

LEDLITES

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
GREENE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LX80
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Go for it. My Seadoo Sportster is 1600LB wet and my trailer is 400LB, Me My buddy and two chicks in the back beer and my rooftop tent is going to be just above the total weight allowed.

3700 + boat and trailer 2000
+225 for RTT and Rack
+160 for me
+110 for the GF
+200 for the buddy
+120 for the GF
+20 for drinks and food

Worst case the hills will be slower in jersey and I kick everyone out on the boat ramp which I do already.
When the boat is getting out of the water there's 100 pounds less fuel onboard and no one is in the truck when I pull it out.

Last edited: