Sponsored

Is hill decent control supposed to be noisey?

Whatcolortochoose

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gti
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I was going down a damp grassy path and decided to try hill decent control. but there was a loud grinding noise. I am guessing its the abs system working but want to be sure.
Sponsored

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
EcoBoost or Hybrid?

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hard to say without being in the truck and listening to or feeling it. Could be the ABS, the transmission, or the engine.

Sponsored

desmobob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't have my Maverick yet, but my current vehicle's ABS makes a machine gun-like noise when it's working. It might be described as gears grinding... I hope that's what you're hearing.

MostlySafeBear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Eventually) a Ford Truck
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I can't remember exactly where I read it, but I read that the hill descent control was provided by the ABS system, so I'd guess that ABS system noises are normal when using it.

The ABS system noises can be quite unsettling for people who have never really heard it activate.

ShadowChas

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I was going down a damp grassy path and decided to try hill decent control. but there was a loud grinding noise. I am guessing its the abs system working but want to be sure.
Yes like others have commented it’s hard to know exactly what you’ve heard, however my xlt fx4 does cycle the abs whilst in hill descent mode and I “assume” is what you’re hearing, however did you notice that noise or other noises afterwards would also be a clue if’s you’re actually having other problems?

OP
OP

Whatcolortochoose

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gti
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes like others have commented it’s hard to know exactly what you’ve heard, however my xlt fx4 does cycle the abs whilst in hill descent mode and I “assume” is what you’re hearing, however did you notice that noise or other noises afterwards would also be a clue if’s you’re actually having other problems?
It was only when hill decent was engaged. Fairly steep decline with wet leaves.(didn't have inclimoter screen up)

JimJayJim

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If the system is similar to my expedition then yes, it's noisy. The abs is controlling the brakes.

Sponsored

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If the system is similar to my expedition then yes, it's noisy. The abs is controlling the brakes.
Yep and will overheat brake pads if engaged too long, thankfully Ford has a temp. sensor or something similar which will force a shut off of the HDC function until the brakes cool down when they get too hot.

Rivers90

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Tremor, Xterra, Miata
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Used it on a super duty and it does make a good amount of sound.
It is using the brakes to control your speed. So sound is normal.

FromAway

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat FX4 4K Cactus Grey
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I got to try out the Hill Descent control on Musquash Mountain in Maine today. 1200 ft elevation at about a 10 degree slope on a little rough gravel and stone trail with some washouts. It did great. Just left it in regular AWD the whole time. It was nice to not have to ride the brakes. But it was louder than I was expecting from the ABS pump. I'm definitely going to upgrade to a coil lift when the warranty runs out. There is a trail to a lake near this mountain that really pushes the limits of ground clearance and stock suspension. I have to be really careful straddling the ruts and not getting caught on ledge sticking up. But can confirm the skid plates work :)

EIlig

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor/'69 Porsche 911E/'15Porsche Cayman
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah... Tried it for the first time the other day on a road out by Bouquet Canyon. Definitely makes a racket...
Sponsored