Big Kahuna

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm a big CB radio / Ham Radio guy and I've always had a CB radio in my vehicle. I either hard mount or magnetic mount my antennas. Currently my antenna is a Wilson 5000 magnetic mount center of the roof.

That would be great for this truck but I'm wondering if the body is aluminum or steel? I know on the F150 guys complain they can't use a magnet mount antenna.

I could go with a fender mount antenna but I'm worried the gap in the hood will be too small compared to a full size truck. Other option will be to mount off the back corners of the bed with a frame mount but that's never ideal for best radiation pattern of the signal.

Haven't been able to determine what the body will be - anyone? Please say not aluminum as that makes this all tougher.
Sponsored

bwiese

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 RAM 1500 quad cab V6; 2022 MavXL hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Big Kahuna...

Found this...

"Asked about materials, Ford spokeswoman Hannah Ooms confirmed the Maverick’s hood was
aluminum. She indicated other parts were aluminum, but didn’t identify them.
“Maverick uses mostly steel throughout its frame and body, with the hood and various parts and
subassemblies made from aluminum,” Ooms wrote in an email Tuesday. “We treat each vehicle on
a case-by(-)case basis – strategically applying the right materials at the right place for the right
vehicle to improve efficiency, capability and performance.”
A spec sheet describes the vehicle as “High-strength steel spaceframe, mild steel body panels.”

73 de Bill N6AOT

OP
OP
Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Big Kahuna...

Found this...
"Asked about materials, Ford spokeswoman Hannah Ooms confirmed the Maverick’s hood was
aluminum. She indicated other parts were aluminum, but didn’t identify them.
“Maverick uses mostly steel throughout its frame and body, with the hood and various parts and
subassemblies made from aluminum,” Ooms wrote in an email Tuesday. “We treat each vehicle on
a case-by(-)case basis – strategically applying the right materials at the right place for the right
vehicle to improve efficiency, capability and performance.”
A spec sheet describes the vehicle as “High-strength steel spaceframe, mild steel body panels.”

73 de Bill N6AOT
You rock - thank you! I think that will mean a steel main section and I can just throw the mag mount antenna on top!

Reactions: JJC

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
You rock - thank you! I think that will mean a steel main section and I can just throw the mag mount antenna on top!
Or you could use the forward most tapped screw hole in the bed. Seems like that might be ideal

Sponsored

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I know nothing about CB radio antennas, but could you pull the regular antenna and just mount it in the sharkfin threaded hole? Might need to make an adapter to match the threads.

UberGadgetFreak

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Marauder, 21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thinking about doing something similar, GRMS though. I hate drilling holes and the like in a new vehicle.
I use a Bingfu antenna mount that lets me mount on the hood lip without drilling any holes. It uses a clamp mechanism with a plate between the screws and panel so it doesn't scratch the paint.
These mounts look like this:
Ford Maverick Where to put my CB antenna.... 61SNCs7gKiL._AC_SX480_SY360_

I use them for CB and my HAM antennas. I like that they can mount on pretty much any lip area. They worked great on the Compass I had with the hood lip hanging over the side at an angle.

OP
OP
Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Easiest will be the magnet mount I think and the roof will be a good size for the counterpoise. It's a big magnet mount antenna with 64" whip - I've made a lot of international contacts with my current setup so hoping it will do well on the new truck.

Biggest concern will be noise from the LED lights causing interference.

Claymore

First Name
Alexander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Dodge Journey
I'm a big CB radio / Ham Radio guy and I've always had a CB radio in my vehicle. I either hard mount or magnetic mount my antennas. Currently my antenna is a Wilson 5000 magnetic mount center of the roof.

That would be great for this truck but I'm wondering if the body is aluminum or steel? I know on the F150 guys complain they can't use a magnet mount antenna.

I could go with a fender mount antenna but I'm worried the gap in the hood will be too small compared to a full size truck. Other option will be to mount off the back corners of the bed with a frame mount but that's never ideal for best radiation pattern of the signal.

Haven't been able to determine what the body will be - anyone? Please say not aluminum as that makes this all tougher.
I asked this question back in July but never received a answer to the question. Perhaps maybe you could provide some ideas?????

"Curious to see if any others are contemplating using a CB.
It appears that the forward part of the center console may be the ideal position.
My XLT does not have phone charging so this area is redundant.
Any thoughts?"
I'm using a Uniden System with an external speaker & a magnetic Wilson 1000.
Also have a smaller Cobra unit but not as powerful as the Uniden!

Many Thanks in Advance

Last edited:

Spook

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Look at page 510 and 511 in the truck manual from Ford for your answers. Grit your teeth and drill some holes!

Sponsored

Hot Runr Guy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Edge SEL, 2024 Lariat AWD BAP 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
One of my local dealers has a Mav coming in for training later today, I've invited myself over and will bring a magnet.

HRG

Hot Runr Guy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Edge SEL, 2024 Lariat AWD BAP 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Easiest will be the magnet mount I think and the roof will be a good size for the counterpoise. It's a big magnet mount antenna with 64" whip - I've made a lot of international contacts with my current setup so hoping it will do well on the new truck.

Biggest concern will be noise from the LED lights causing interference.
You are good to go, the roof is steel,,,,,

HRG

Ford Maverick Where to put my CB antenna.... 2022 Maverick XLT FX4 trainer

theek

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V, Subaru CrossTrek
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Only the hood and the tailgate exterior is aluminum.

OP
OP
Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I asked this question back in July but never received a answer to the question. Perhaps maybe you could provide some ideas?????

"Curious to see if any others are contemplating using a CB.
It appears that the forward part of the center console may be the ideal position.
My XLT does not have phone charging so this area is redundant.
Any thoughts?"
I'm using a Uniden System with an external speaker & a magnetic Wilson 1000.
Also have a smaller Cobra unit but not as powerful as the Uniden!

Many Thanks in Advance
Yes I'm looking at mounting in that forward tray myself as it would be the perfect location for the newer generation of radios that are smaller. I have a President McKinley with a KL7505 and a Wilson 5000. I was thinking of putting the KL7505 underneath the rear seat in one of those compartments.

Since it's a new car I may pay to have the local car stereo shop run my power wires - I've always done it myself in the past for amps and subwoofers etc - but I'd like it to be extremely clean this time.

TheShark

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat Tremor, 2023 Bronco Wildtrak
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

When I saw this thread it took me back to 1976 and my Pontiac Sunbird with the Radio Shack CB I installed.
Sponsored