Sponsored

Hybrid vs Eco for mostly highway driving.

Dallas Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

@KenT I thought 2.91:1 was the final gear ratio for the hybrid.. Is that not correct?
Ford Maverick Hybrid vs Eco for mostly highway driving. 8282C4EA-654F-4A71-8A64-601FEBC01F07
Sponsored

garnermike

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
An Outback, an Ioniq, a Corvette, a Fiat Spider
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Same here. my hand calculations have always been better than what the truck is telling me.
Yeah, but, ya know, there's the conspiracy by Ford foisted on unknowing buyers to have the MPG dash numbers "lie." Smh and lol.... :D

RogueCheddar

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 XLT Lux EB 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Yeah, but, ya know, there's the conspiracy by Ford foisted on unknowing buyers to have the MPG dash numbers "lie." Smh and lol.... :D
Yep! Every single vehicle I have ever owned that has a fuel mileage readout has been within 2% of hand calculations, It's almost like these engineers know what they're doing....

Dallas Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

No one has brought up another major difference,, difference in weight. Whats the difference between the EB and Hybrid.
Probably because there isn't much difference...
Ford Maverick Hybrid vs Eco for mostly highway driving. 1656016928350

Nittany

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am averaging 28 mpg in town and I went on a 150 mile round trip on the highway Saturday and averaged 36.9 in my Lariat Lux FWD with Ecoboost. I was really impressed with the highway mileage. That was with 4 adults and driving the speed limit, in Eco mode, and running premium fuel. I think that the 18 inch Michelin Primacy with Low resistance rolling tires helped. I have not been able to duplicate that in my wifes XLT AWD FX4 with 17 inch Pirelli's and different gearing. Hers averages about 3 mpg less on both highway and city but she has a heavy foot too.
28 MPG in the city seems very low.

Sponsored

crgator

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
28 MPG in the city seems very low.
That would be for a hybrid, but not an EcoBoost. I never got near that with mine. Now my hybrid, if I only got 28 in city driving, I would know I was having problems.

CuriousGary

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C-Max Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Many folks comment on this topic, claim no benifit in having a hybrid for 90% plus highway driving. So many mileage claims out there that just seem like B.S. Hoping for some input and opinions now the many have had their Maverick for some time. I drive for my business,, 60 to 70K a year,, 95% on the highway.
Many folks comment on this topic, claim no benifit in having a hybrid for 90% plus highway driving. So many mileage claims out there that just seem like B.S. Hoping for some input and opinions now the many have had their Maverick for some time. I drive for my business,, 60 to 70K a year,, 95% on the highway.
I notice you live in Iowa. It’s pretty flat, isn’t it? A hybrid doesn’t get great mileage on flat highway/interstate driving. (However, some might disagree with me.) If I were you, I’d seek the experiences of Iowa drivers of Mavericks — both hybrid and EB drivers. Also, remember that mpg’s go down in cold weather, which Iowa has plenty of.

Personally, I like my hybrid, but I live in hilly north GA, where interstates are crowded and you can drive in electric a lot, where I don’t drive for business, and where I don’t drive particularly fast.

Last edited:

KenT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda CRV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I made identical round trips from Salt Lake City to Las Vegas via I-15 cruising at 80 mph, one in Honda CR-V (which has 1.5L turbo-boost), and other in Maverick hybrid. Nearly indentical mileage for both, 33-34 mpg.

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

My first two trips were 500-600 miles each (round trip) when my Maverick Hybrid was brand new, and I had no idea how to optimize mileage. I was driving 75-80 mph in temperatures well below freezing (17ºF one trip, 24ºF the other). To make matters worse, I had strong headwinds (20-30 mph) both times (frontal passage gave me headwinds coming home as well - unfair!). I still got 28 mpg on my absolute worst trip when it was super-cold, and driving into a stiff headwind... Since then, I've learned a lot, and I've been averaging well above 42 mpg, with my last tank at 48. Roughly 80/20 city/highway driving.

Last edited:

MaveLick

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAM REBEL (Soon to be Maverick)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
An identical trip on I-20 heading West out of Dallas for a Hybrid and EB: A Hybrid (several trips) yielded 27-28+ mpg. You see it correctly. A lot of hills and about 3,000' grade change. An EB (one trip) yielded 29+ mpg. The numbers are pretty close. EB has way more power and we does not have to worry about passing uphill.

Sponsored

imboden013

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’ve a EB AWD and on the highway I usually average 35-40mpg that with speeds varying between 55-65, occasionally 70mph. One 600 mile tank where I average 37.6mpg and one 300 mile trip 39mpg those are hand calculated. Overall for last 4700 miles(20/80) city/highway 33.8mpg.

Ford Maverick Hybrid vs Eco for mostly highway driving. IMG_2539

Ford Maverick Hybrid vs Eco for mostly highway driving. IMG_2452

Ford Maverick Hybrid vs Eco for mostly highway driving. IMG_2440

Ford Maverick Hybrid vs Eco for mostly highway driving. IMG_2421

Skifletch

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost