Sponsored

Hybrid Towing Experience Without Tow Package?

JakePerkey

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Hello all, I’m considering getting a camper for my Hybrid Maverick. The camper is 1900lbs. I was wondering what peoples experiences were who have towed close to (or over) 2000lbs in their towing package-less Maverick. Thanks!
Sponsored

MostlySafeBear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Eventually) a Ford Truck
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Bear in mind that the 2,000 pound towing limit is not a suggestion, and that if you are over allowable weights and you get into a wreck, you can be held liable.

Having said that, 1,900 pounds is on the hairy edge. Even propane could put you over the limit.

Look into lighter campers. There are some towable pop-ups that weigh less than 1,000 pounds, and thus have lots of capacity left over for cargo/full tanks/etc.

Jatrax

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 VW ID.4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The camper is 1900lbs.
Is that the dealers 'dry weight' or something more realistic such as an actual scale weighed value? If that's the so called dry weight then add in water, propane, food, books, clothes, boots and you likely have another 400lbs. 30 gallons of fresh water is 250lbs alone.
I would be OK towing a known 1,900lbs with a Maverick as long as it is hooked up with a brake controller. But towing a 1,900lb travel trailer plus contents? No way.

19mustang65

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pinti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I comfortably tow around 2k lbs. Camper rated at 1390lbs with about 200 lbs removed. Weight added unknown but probably right at 2k.

teh603

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Subaru Outback, '09 Honda Fit
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Is that the dealers 'dry weight' or something more realistic such as an actual scale weighed value? If that's the so called dry weight then add in water, propane, food, books, clothes, boots and you likely have another 400lbs. 30 gallons of fresh water is 250lbs alone.
I would be OK towing a known 1,900lbs with a Maverick as long as it is hooked up with a brake controller. But towing a 1,900lb travel trailer plus contents? No way.
Yeah, that's why the camper board I'm on suggests taking the camper and tow vehicle to the scales and getting everything weighed. That's the only way you can know exactly you've got.

OP, I'd suggest looking for a light popup or maybe an a-liner or teardrop.

Sponsored

Bobinmi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mr me.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
walking and talking
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I towed my 6x12 enclosed trailer 100 miles this weekend with my hog in the back, maverick hybrid. Avg 23 mpg on 55 mph roads.

Ford Maverick Hybrid Towing Experience Without Tow Package? 20220619_120253
Ford Maverick Hybrid Towing Experience Without Tow Package? 20220619_120135

Jatrax

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 VW ID.4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I towed my 6x12 enclosed trailer 100 miles this weekend with my hog in the back, maverick hybrid. Avg 23 mpg on 55 mph roads.
I'm looking to haul a similar trailer, what was the weight if you know?

OP
OP

JakePerkey

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you everyone for your input. I’m playing closer to the safe side now, declined the 1900lb trailer, and putting a cap on 1800lbs. I don’t plan to load much beyond the dry weight anyways but I figured at least 200lbs of wiggle room is a safer compromise. Thoughts?

MostlySafeBear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Eventually) a Ford Truck
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thank you everyone for your input. I’m playing closer to the safe side now, declined the 1900lb trailer, and putting a cap on 1800lbs. I don’t plan to load much beyond the dry weight anyways but I figured at least 200lbs of wiggle room is a safer compromise. Thoughts?
200 pounds of wiggle room seems safe, but if you want to be sure, then after you fuel up the truck, have a drink in the cupholder, and have all your typical cargo and supplies loaded/camper tanks filled, hit up the nearest CAT scale. The magic number you're looking to never exceed is 6,010 pounds (the 2022 Mavericks' Gross Combined Weight Rating), with no more than 2,000 pounds of that being towed, whether wet or dry weight.

Some scales can do the truck and trailer both separately and combined, so that you have the best information. The scales are pretty cheap, and it's good peace of mind.

OP
OP

JakePerkey

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
200 pounds of wiggle room seems safe, but if you want to be sure, then after you fuel up the truck, have a drink in the cupholder, and have all your typical cargo and supplies loaded/camper tanks filled, hit up the nearest CAT scale. The magic number you're looking to never exceed is 6,010 pounds (the 2022 Mavericks' Gross Combined Weight Rating), with no more than 2,000 pounds of that being towed, whether wet or dry weight.

Some scales can do the truck and trailer both separately and combined, so that you have the best information. The scales are pretty cheap, and it's good peace of mind.
I thought about that too. Good idea. Thank you!
Sponsored