First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pinti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hello. I just got back from a short trip and thought I'd share the experience with anyone who's interested in towing with their hybrid.

I am at a fairly low elevation in Las Vegas. App. 2000ft. We decided to spend the night at a nearby mountain range. At the final stop we were at 8700 ft.

The first thousand feet was a slow climb that was about 20 miles so it didnt take much effort and we could hardly feel the app. 2000 lb trailer.

The last stretch was very steep and went up about 5000ft in 40 miles.

I had it in tow mode and it was similar to sport mode in that it gave a good amount of power immediately and never went into electric mode while moving. Didnt notice any other characteristics from tow mode.

On the way there we were doing about 65 mph around a long bouncy curve and the trailer started swaying pretty bad, enough to where I had to counter steer a bit to keep the truck in the lane. At about 3 corrections in and no throttle or brake input a message came on the dash and said trailer sway detected and the truck applied the brakes and corrected the sway. I found that interesting.

The trip home was much easier and was 99٪ downhill. I did notice one thing I was not a fan of. During the initial downgrade the truck was using the engine to help slow down when the brakes were applied. Normally I wouldnt mind but I didnt want it wound up like that for 40 miles. I switched between modes to try to correct it but all of them tried to assist. I'd rather replace brake pads and rotors over unnecessary engine wear.

Ford Maverick Hybrid towing experience 20220513_163614

Ford Maverick Hybrid towing experience 20220513_194604
Sponsored

midcoastme

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 PT Cruisers & Maverick Lariat Hybrid.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

"At about 3 corrections in and no throttle or brake input a message came on the dash and said trailer sway detected and the truck applied the brakes and corrected the sway. I found that interesting."

Was that truck brakes or trailer brakes...I'm assuming truck since there's no tow package...

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I attended a Maverick training session at local Ford dealer way back in Sept. I asked about Sway Control in tow package because I didn't see it listed. It is standard in our 2018 F-150. The Ford rep said all Mavericks come std with sway control, but is not advertised. I assumed you would need to have the factory hitch and brake controller for it to actually work though? And electric brakes on your trailer too.

WV_XLT

First Name
JW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 XL. 2017 Escape SE
Sway control uses the trucks rear brakes independently to control the sway. It does not use the trailer breaks because there is no way to apply the left or right trailer brake. They are both applied together. It works very similar to traction control and anti skid function.

As for the truck downshifting to help hold back the trailer, that is common on almost all newer vehicles that tow. It sounds like it is hurting the engine but it is a lot better than getting your breaks hot and them failing. Just ask any truck driver. It usually only works in tow or sport mode but may take a minute or 2 for the computer to switch modes modes.

Sponsored

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The trip home was much easier and was 99٪ downhill. I did notice one thing I was not a fan of. During the initial downgrade the truck was using the engine to help slow down when the brakes were applied. Normally I wouldnt mind but I didnt want it wound up like that for 40 miles. I switched between modes to try to correct it but all of them tried to assist. I'd rather replace brake pads and rotors over unnecessary engine wear.
"Why is it keeping me from cooking the brakes? I'd rather cook my brakes and lose all braking power down a mountain!"

🤦‍♂️

davnau

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'73 Ford Mustang
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sway control uses the trucks rear brakes independently to control the sway. It does not use the trailer breaks because there is no way to apply the left or right trailer brake. They are both applied together. It works very similar to traction control and anti skid function.

As for the truck downshifting to help hold back the trailer, that is common on almost all newer vehicles that tow. It sounds like it is hurting the engine but it is a lot better than getting your breaks hot and them failing. Just ask any truck driver. It usually only works in tow or sport mode but may take a minute or 2 for the computer to switch modes modes.
All 2022 Ford Mavericks include Trailer Sway Control. It's right on Page 272 of the Owner's Manual. The OP post notes that he has the standard Hybrid engine/drivetrain and the Trailer Sway Control information message did come on when the pop-up camper started to sway on the trip up and the Trailer Sway Control kicked in. The Owner's Manual shows that it can be switched on/off in the settings through the instrument panel. Glad it's standard on all models. Important for me, as I plan to tow three different boats at 800, 1500, and 1900 pounds fully loaded with boat, motor, trailer, and gear. My Maverick XL Hybrid is finally in production, so looking forward to doing the boat towing with it when delivered.

Last edited:
OP
OP

19mustang65

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pinti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
"At about 3 corrections in and no throttle or brake input a message came on the dash and said trailer sway detected and the truck applied the brakes and corrected the sway. I found that interesting."

Was that truck brakes or trailer brakes...I'm assuming truck since there's no tow package...
Yeah truck brakes. It wasnt abrubt but firm and just enough.

OP
OP

19mustang65

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pinti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

That's true, I hadn't even thought about that, thanks.

JsnMrd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
2000lbs! That's cutting it too close ain't it? Danger Zone for Maverick!
Sponsored