First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My wife is thinking of going with a Maverick for her next vehicle. She drives about 70 miles round trip to work each day. These miles are about 95% freeway (70 MPH speed limit). She is currently leasing her 2nd Edge AWD but we will most likely buy the Maverick.

I'm curious if anyone here drives the kind of mileage she does on the freeway with either the Hybrid or the EB? She does like the AWD on her Edge as we are in Michigan and do get snow, etc. Just wondering what kind of mileage difference we might see between the Hybrid and the EB for mostly freeway driving? Also wondering how well the Hybrid does in the snow, etc being that it's only FWD.
I've been as high as 43.6 mpg highway for a 54 mile commute one way with an 600' elevation drop and I am currently averaging 31.8 mpg combined over the last 4 tanks (probably 75% highway) with my 2.0, awd, tow package. You can see the 43.6 in previous posting. I drive in eco and try maximizing MPG but keep with traffic by generally setting the cruise at 68MPH. I did only get 22MPG pulling a trailer with a BMW rode bike up from FL to NY this Spring but overall I'm thrilled with the mileage of this little truck. Several folks have commented that my truck is beating theirs on mileage and I think the track time I've had on road courses is helpful, (smooth is faster because it more efficient). A final note is the Hybrid shines in stop and go but I seem to recall it's not a big difference in ratings on highway. Oh, one last thing to consider since you're in Michigan. AWD, 2.0 gives you independent rear suspension which will help tame those Michigan roads.

mikedege

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
FWIW, My hybrid has been averaging 37 Hwy, and 40 City. Pretty happy especially with the hwy mileage.

Mike

BigPop

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat/Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a Lariat Lux Hybrid and consistently get 42 to 45 mpg on weekly trips up and down I-95 in Virginia. Speed varies from 55 to 70 and I use regular gas. I always select Eco mode when driving with no noticeable performance variance (I’m guessing it adjusts the shifting points) so I’ve been very pleased with the mileage. I get over 500 miles on a tank of gas.

My wife is thinking of going with a Maverick for her next vehicle. She drives about 70 miles round trip to work each day. These miles are about 95% freeway (70 MPH speed limit). She is currently leasing her 2nd Edge AWD but we will most likely buy the Maverick.

I'm curious if anyone here drives the kind of mileage she does on the freeway with either the Hybrid or the EB? She does like the AWD on her Edge as we are in Michigan and do get snow, etc. Just wondering what kind of mileage difference we might see between the Hybrid and the EB for mostly freeway driving? Also wondering how well the Hybrid does in the snow, etc being that it's only FWD.

Sponsored

Hdang1980

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just took a 326 mile round trip between Sacramento and Reno, and with the 4-5% inclines and declines through the mountains, I ended up averaging 38 mpg at freeway speeds ranging from 55 - 85 mph. 95% highway driving. I have a hybrid. Oh and it said I still had 252 miles till empty. Damn I love this truck.
Ford Maverick Hybrid or EB for freeway commute? 20220802_205232

Last edited:

AzCactusGray

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C5, SC430, 67XKE, 08 XJR, 78 F250, 22 Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My hybrid highway mileage is 33-35 MPG at 75-80 MPH. This is taken from long distance road trips so you may get slightly higher if you're mixing in some non-highway driving.
Same here. 33-35 mpg rock solid all day long 75-80 mph on Freeway. 45 mile comute each way, 40 of such on freeway. When more in town stop and go occurs, mileage is over 40.

OP, get your wife the hybrid my wife loves hers. Once we got the Maverick she got rid of her 2018 Lexus RX 350... Seriously, she preferred the Maverick (Lariat Lux hybrid) over a loaded Lexus RX 350. (Originally it was to be my work truck... now I'm looking to get a second Maverick for me!) Get her the Hybrid. If your budget allows it, get the Lariat Lux.

AzCactusGray

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a Lariat Lux Hybrid and consistently get 42 to 45 mpg on weekly trips up and down I-95 in Virginia. Speed varies from 55 to 70 and I use regular gas. I always select Eco mode when driving with no noticeable performance variance (I’m guessing it adjusts the shifting points) so I’ve been very pleased with the mileage. I get over 500 miles on a tank of gas.
Yep, ditto.

AzCactusGray

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just did a 45 mile highway trip, at speeds between 70 and 90 mph (202 was a racetrack this morning!).
Got home and showed last trip was 37mpg. A/c was running at 74 degrees on auto the entire time as well.
Gotta love the 202

Bobinmi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mr me.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
walking and talking
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Unless your towing...I say a hybrid for city and/or hwy/combined.

Sponsored

Jonny44

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav XLT,2013 Ford F150 XLT 4x4, 2015 Kia Soul
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I drive 100 miles round trip, 80% highway and am averaging 43 mpg. Mostly in high traffic, so average speed (70 mph zone) is 65-70. Getting about 600 miles per tank.

BingoDingo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Nonya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’ve done a handful of ~500 mile trips, mostly highway 70-75mph, and have averaged 35-40mpg.

with snow tires it’ll be more than enough for most winter driving (I live in Michigan).
This. Consumer reports says snow tires are more important than AWD

DetMav13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
This. Consumer reports says snow tires are more important than AWD
they make all the difference in the world. Bought my first set a few years back for a Volt, and they turned that thing into a winter beast. I was sold.
Sponsored