Hybrid or EB for freeway commute?

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Engine
Undecided
My wife is thinking of going with a Maverick for her next vehicle. She drives about 70 miles round trip to work each day. These miles are about 95% freeway (70 MPH speed limit). She is currently leasing her 2nd Edge AWD but we will most likely buy the Maverick.

I'm curious if anyone here drives the kind of mileage she does on the freeway with either the Hybrid or the EB? She does like the AWD on her Edge as we are in Michigan and do get snow, etc. Just wondering what kind of mileage difference we might see between the Hybrid and the EB for mostly freeway driving? Also wondering how well the Hybrid does in the snow, etc being that it's only FWD.
Sponsored

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Luxury CO360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My wife is thinking of going with a Maverick for her next vehicle. She drives about 70 miles round trip to work each day. These miles are about 95% freeway (70 MPH speed limit). She is currently leasing her 2nd Edge AWD but we will most likely buy the Maverick.

I'm curious if anyone here drives the kind of mileage she does on the freeway with either the Hybrid or the EB? She does like the AWD on her Edge as we are in Michigan and do get snow, etc. Just wondering what kind of mileage difference we might see between the Hybrid and the EB for mostly freeway driving? Also wondering how well the Hybrid does in the snow, etc being that it's only FWD.

Either.
But you may get 500K Miles out of the hybrid, That 2.5L engine is bullet proof... as indicated by the NY taxi's that have used it for years. There are reports of 600K miles on those hybrid Escape taxis.

Daverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Davey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

My hybrid highway mileage is 33-35 MPG at 75-80 MPH. This is taken from long distance road trips so you may get slightly higher if you're mixing in some non-highway driving.

OP
OP

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Engine
Undecided
Either.
But you may get 500K Miles out of the hybrid, That 2.5L engine is bullet proof... as indicated by the NY taxi's that have used it for years. There are reports of 600K miles on those hybrid Escape taxis.
That would be awesome to get that kind of mileage out of the hybrid. I'm a little concerned about all the issues people seem to get having with the hybrid but hopefully they are easily fixed and get all sorted out.

OP
OP

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Engine
Undecided
My hybrid highway mileage is 33-35 MPG at 75-80 MPH. This is taken from long distance road trips so you may get slightly higher if you're mixing in some non-highway driving.
That's actually pretty good mileage at those speeds. My wife may get better than that as sometimes she hits stop and go traffic, etc.

I just wonder how well the hybrid does in the snow?

Sponsored

New2AZ

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX Hatchback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just did a 45 mile highway trip, at speeds between 70 and 90 mph (202 was a racetrack this morning!).
Got home and showed last trip was 37mpg. A/c was running at 74 degrees on auto the entire time as well.

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I also vote hybrid.

I owned an XL EB for a month and put 2,000 miles on it. It averaged 27-28mpg on the highway (hand calculated). The hybrid will definitely do better.

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Luxury CO360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That would be awesome to get that kind of mileage out of the hybrid. I'm a little concerned about all the issues people seem to get having with the hybrid but hopefully they are easily fixed and get all sorted out.
What Problems?
I turn the key and it runs.. And it runs very well.
Sure little things here and there but it's first model year. Low Volt battery issue was a loose harness.. not the motor. Fire recall was 23 total 2.5L engines that failed on the Escape hybrid due to a manufacturing defect on the crankshaft. Same engine but not even the Maverick - thus the recall to protect against fire. Occasional engine shake - seems like a software issue... Hood flutter - not the engine. Honestly there have been no significant issues with the Maverick hybrid. I think the engine shake is the most annoying but they will fix that soon. It has happened 2x in the past 3k miles

DetMav13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
I’ve done a handful of ~500 mile trips, mostly highway 70-75mph, and have averaged 35-40mpg.

with snow tires it’ll be more than enough for most winter driving (I live in Michigan).

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's actually pretty good mileage at those speeds. My wife may get better than that as sometimes she hits stop and go traffic, etc.

Got my hybrid in December. We had a relatively snowy jan-mar in MN. It did great. Even with the OEM tires.

Sponsored
OP
OP

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Engine
Undecided
Got my hybrid in December. We had a relatively snowy jan-mar in MN. It did great. Even with the OEM tires.
Good to hear. I imagine you get more snow in MN than we do in Southeastern MI so the Hybrid might just work for the misses:)

Aza

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

My commute is 80 miles roundtrip. 95% highway. I have been averaging 40 mpg.

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Unless you need or want an AWD vehicle go with the hybrid. The awesome mileage is well documented here.

I wanted AWD because in the Mav it is an incredible system. It offers independent rear suspension for rough roads and that awesome Dana Advantek Ultra differential. What a great setup for what they ask for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guv

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I commuted the 70 miles between Milwaukee and my home to the east with a front wheel drive Saturn SUV. My problem wasn't going, it was stopping. Wish I had had the Maverick hybrid.

The64

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If mileage is a consideration at all, get the hybrid. You will be shocked when you shut off the car after what you felt was just a highway trip and see how many miles were electric. I've got mostly highway miles on mine but am still averaging over 40mpg.
Sponsored