First Name
Sarah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Subaru Outback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I like Slippery too because of the coasting instead of braking when you are trying to nurse from hybrid mode into battery mode. Plus it greatly reduces the brake grabbing when stopping. I get 1 MPG better mileage in Slippery mode vs ECO mode to boot.
Yes! I have been clenching my whole body while pressing the brake, like I'm cutting bomb wires, just so it doesn't jerk to a stop. I went into slippery mode when we got some snow the other day and the brake finally feels like a "normal" brake. I think I'll be training myself to hit that mode button when I get in now.
Sponsored

Maverick2112

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 xl hybrid.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Vicarious mode, since I do not have mine yet. But seriously... I thought I'd probably just use ECO, but after reading this I will certainly have to experiment. I've never had a hybrid, so I'm uncertain how I will like the feel of regen braking.

Reactions: Aza

Platinum2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Seems obvious most owners would choose Eco since they bought the hybrid and fuel efficiency is its standout feature.

Reactions: Aza

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Seems obvious most owners would choose Eco since they bought the hybrid and fuel efficiency is its standout feature.
They would if it wasn't such a pain in the a$$.

Bj517

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Normal mode for almost all my driving. I'll put it in eco if I'm using adaptive cruise and lane centering - I find the truck is a little too aggressive with acceleration in normal mode.

If you're a calm, non-aggressive driver anyway, I don't find that eco mode really provides much if any mpg benefit over normal mode (again, unless you're using ACC)

Sport mode is fun and the truck is certainly peppy, but the fuel economy seems take a huge dump, so I don't use it often. Also I find the fake shift points just silly and annoying. They're completely unnecessary.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Platinum2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
They would if it wasn't such a pain in the a$$.
I know....for the life of me I can't understand why Normal, Eco, Slippery and Sport are not user selectable as default modes upon every start for EB or hybrid. I could maybe see why tow might be locked out, but not the others.

This is the thing that irritates me the most about new cars (and a lot of other consumer products) is the taking away of buyer control.

Usually this is done in the name of "safety" since there appears to be a large portion of the population living in fear of every possible thing that can take them out. Sigh.....

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Usually this is done in the name of "safety" since there appears to be a large portion of the population living in fear of every possible thing that can take them out. Sigh.....
In this case it's EPA/CAFE rating. If it can be started by default in a mode that reduces efficiency then that is factored in the overall rating.

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I know....for the life of me I can't understand why Normal, Eco, Slippery and Sport are not user selectable as default modes upon every start for EB or hybrid. I could maybe see why tow might be locked out, but not the others.

This is the thing that irritates me the most about new cars (and a lot of other consumer products) is the taking away of buyer control.

It would be nice if ECO could be made the default. Hopefully the Forscan group will come up with something.

Platinum2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
In this case it's EPA/CAFE rating. If it can be started by default in a mode that reduces efficiency then that is factored in the overall rating.
It seems like Eco would increase efficiency, so why not have that be the default mode if they're going to sandbox the customer? Especially for hybrid since that is the preferred setting by most owners. 🤔

MLA62563

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Except that Eco mode doesn't seem to make much of a difference as near as I can tell. At least for me anyway. It seems to use throttle response try to "force" you into better habits...but if you already have sensible habits, it doesn't really change anything. I get about the same mileage either way, so I just stick to normal now.

Sponsored

Bj517

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It seems like Eco would increase efficiency, so why not have that be the default mode if they're going to sandbox the customer?
Normal mode is a good middle ground, and I bet Ford figured (probably correctly) that more people would bitch about not being able to default to normal mode than would bitch about not being able to default to eco.

Plus I haven't seen much of a difference in fuel economy between the two modes. You can do just as well in normal mode if you don't drive aggressively - eco mode just seems to force you to be less aggressive by lowering throttle responsiveness, etc.

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

For a long time I've just left the drive mode selector in the default Normal mode. Only recently I've started playing with the various modes.

Initially I really liked the Sport mode for it's ability to simulate gears shifting. However, lately I think I've found my favorite. Probably to everyone's surprise I really like the Slippery mode. I found that this mode is good for two reasons. First it let me coast as it applies the least amount of regenerative breaking and secondly I found that it keeps the RPMs lower than when in Normal mode which helps keeping the noise level down.

I know it's not the most performing mode but I didn't buy the Mav Hybrid for spirited driving.

Let me know your preference.
When I want kicks I get on the motorcycle and cheat death for awhile at 70mpg. Otherwise,
with my Buick and Miata (less so with the Miata) I go for efficiency and utility.

Platinum2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Except that Eco mode doesn't seem to make much of a difference as near as I can tell. At least for me anyway. It seems to use throttle response try to "force" you into better habits...but if you already have sensible habits, it doesn't really change anything. I get about the same mileage either way, so I just stick to normal now.
Which then begs the question, why bother programming an Eco setting if there are not practical benefits to be had? I know....the eighth wonder of the world! 😂

Platinum2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Normal mode is a good middle ground, and I bet Ford figured (probably correctly) that more people would bitch about not being able to default to normal mode than would bitch about not being able to default to eco.

Plus I haven't seen much of a difference in fuel economy between the two modes. You can do just as well in normal mode if you don't drive aggressively - eco mode just seems to force you to be less aggressive by lowering throttle responsiveness, etc.
And user selectability would solve this compromise, IMO. 👍
Sponsored