Sponsored

How Many New Cars Do People Actually Buy?

skadizzle

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat BAP
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Haha I guess so. Depends on what’s coming out and if anything peaks my interest more than what I currently drive.
Yeah I here you. I'm always telling myself I am going to keep my car for a long time and then I see something better a few years down the road.
Sponsored

Fx4hOok

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 2.0 FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Did you know every car was new at some point lol

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
My current vehicle is a 2018 Rav4 that I purchased new for $22k. CarMax and Carvana are offering $24k to sell it to them, $2k more than I paid for it 3 1/2 years ago. That was the main incentive for me to get the Maverick now.
As I'm sure you're well-aware, the cost of everything has gone up in the last two years. According to the BLS, $22,000 in April of 2018 has the same purchasing power as $24,086.67 in September of 2021.

I wouldn't see it as $2,000 more but rather that you're selling a used car for exactly what you paid for it brand new. Still a great deal nonetheless!

I hated my Rav4 since I got it because I only get 20-25 mpg and about 320 miles on a tank.
I dislike my Nissan Frontier for the same reason. The truck was cheap enough to purchase that the added fuel cost doesn't really bother me. I just wish it had a larger fuel tank! I get about 250 miles before the low fuel light comes on if I'm not towing something.

Platinum2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This will be my first new car. Paying cash. I have been driving for over 30 years. This is my third vehicle in all. I buy cars at the right price and drive them till they die. I love cars. I hate paying for them. The plus to all this is I have a big retirement account....

skadizzle

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat BAP
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

As I'm sure you're well-aware, the cost of everything has gone up in the last two years. According to the BLS, $22,000 in April of 2018 has the same purchasing power as $24,086.67 in September of 2021.

I wouldn't see it as $2,000 more but rather that you're selling a used car for exactly what you paid for it brand new. Still a great deal nonetheless!

I dislike my Nissan Frontier for the same reason. The truck was cheap enough to purchase that the added fuel cost doesn't really bother me. I just wish it had a larger fuel tank! I get about 250 miles before the low fuel light comes on if I'm not towing something.

I suppose you can look at it that way, but unlike a house, I've never seen a car actually increase in value, especially after only a few years unless you count buying a car in the 60s for $3000 new and selling it now.

Sponsored

grumpyunk

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mariner 85 Ranger 97 T-bird 87 Sable
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
First new car since 1987, and that I still own/drive, though it is mostly a driveway queen. Ford products only, FWIW. Fourth new overall since starting to drive the day the 1st production Mustang rolled off the line.
I will likely keep it until they put me in a box. Made payments on the last and it was the 1st time ever buying on time, but it was a short term of 24 months at low percent. Mortgage rate then was at 10-11%, so 1.9% was cheap money.
tom

EggSalad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Equinox and Focus
This is my 1st new car ever. In all honesty I've never really thought buying new was smart (my opinion) because of the costs and the depreciation. New/Used has always been the way to go for me.

Having said that, I'm excited about this truck and made the decision because I miss my 90s ranger, and this truck is still fairly affordable.

staryoshi

First Name
SJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Chevrolet Colorado
Bought a used 2003 in 2008, traded it in for new in 2013, and plan on new in 2022, keeping the last car. I don't like inheriting someone else's problems and tend to keep cars for a while, so I prefer to buy new.

Tbolt

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' EcoSport SES, 22' Lariat Lux FX4 Eco Mav
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have owned loads of cars over the last 33 years of driving, but this will only be my 4th new car. I have not had good luck with my new cars though.

1991 Ford Ranger- Had it three weeks and flipped it hitting black ice on I-25 after a snowstorm. Totaled.

1995 Saturn SL1- Had that for a couple of years and traded it straight up for a 1995 Plymouth Voyager. Should have kept the Saturn.

2007 F-150 Had that for just over 2 years when the Ex-Wife decided to take it somewhere and got hit by a drunk driver totaling the pickup.

So, yeah. Due for some good luck on a vehicle, especially since my 2012 F150 was stolen while I am overseas with the Army while being stored back in Colorado.

ehspeakers

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My first new vehicle is this 2022 Maverick Lariat! 0% interest and a lucky find on one available convinced me.

Sponsored

Evil2ltr

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Alto Blue Maverick XLT AWD
Bought a 15' Mustang GT in 15'. Traded it for a 18' GT. Bought the F-150 new in 2019 and got the 22' Mav in 21'.

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, VB, 2.0 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I see posts of people trading in 2020 and 2021 models for their Maverick. Or planning to sell them. And yes, I know the used market had absurd prices but that seems to have settled a little so maybe that's not as big an incentive now? Anyhow, how often do you buy a brand new car?

I ask because I haven't bought brand new in 27 years. Always slightly used to let someone else take the major depreciation hit. (I know that has temporarily changed over the last almost 2 years.) But the Maverick is so cool, so versatile and priced so cheaply, I had to order one. (It's great when kids graduate college , get employed and get off the payroll.)

So do people actually go upside down on loans, roll them into a new vehicle, have monthly payments of $500 or more or is everyone else like me and saving up to pay for the car without having to pay interest? Or take advantage of the 0% financing?

Long, rambling question(s). Hope that makes sense.
I've never really stop to think about how many new cars I've purchased since my first new car in 1965. I guess it's close to 34 new cars/trucks for personal use over the 43 year period since. But, there have been only three in the last 14 years including the Maverick. That does not include purchasing or leasing cars/trucks for business. We did everything we could not to get upside down, including hefty down payments, buying at year end or last years models but still new, and often not buying unless we could get 0% interest from manufacturers.

Interestingly, I was not looking for a new truck, because nothing made out there was appealing to me. I did not like the size growth of today's mid-size pickups, didn't need a full size truck, so I was looking at buying a 20 year old domestic truck like the Dakota, Sonoma, or Ranger and restoring. But the Maverick was leaked in early 2021 and I was intrigued. When it was introduced on June 6, I knew I was going to order one, but researched it and ordered on October 6, 2021, then picked it up Nov. 10. Ford brought the Maverick just out in time.

Hamelton

First Name
Hamelton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
carola
Every day, a large number of cars are removed from the road. Some of them are probably too old to be repaired. Some have a fatal fault that isn't worth the manufacturer fixing, others are totaled in an accident the damage from the crash is greater than the car's value; and still others are stolen, stripped for parts, or never found again.

mktmgrjrm

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid, Ford Fusion Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Bought my first car in 1965 - it was a well used Ford Galaxy 500XL. Since then, everything I've owned or leased has been new - 40 of them. Pretty stupid, right? What can I say - I just love new cars. 23 of them were Fords, 5 Hondas, 4 Porsches, 3 General Motors, 2 Subarus, and 1 each of Nissan, Dodge, and BMW.

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The Maverick will be my 27th vehicle since 1979 & only my second new one, the other my 04 Taurus that I will be keeping as my backup car, since it has only 75,000 miles & looks like new. Will pay 2/3 down & finance the rest.
Sponsored