First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I live in the MidWest and as of yet, have not seen one network ad. Yes, saw it on YouTube, but not tv. I originally heard (November of last year) about the Mav from my Sister who worked for Ford Corporate and leaked it out to me, knowing I love the small trucks. I am old school and do not do any social media except the dreaded Facebook. Curious how my new found Maverick friends originally heard about this little gem? Have they aired the commercials (networks) in other parts of the Country?
Sponsored

bentley72

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Midwesterner here, I’ve seen ads this weekend for it on cable and streaming.
I first heard about it through a Jalopnik article

Art_Vandelay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid Lariat, Subaru WRX
Google knows I’m into cars so my news feed is regularly filled with articles from automotive journals. I saw the headlines about it but never bothered to actually look. Then my cousin messaged me to ask if I had heard about it. I told him it will probably end up being a goofy oddball vehicle like the Chevy avalanche and Ford Explorer sport trac. He was like “no, no, no, you should look into it. It’s going to be a hybrid and it’s cheap as hell.” So I actually looked into the maverick beyond the headlines and was immediately on board. Small truck, cheap, hybrid mpg, good weight capacity. It checked all the boxes I was looking for after driving an F150 for the last two years which doesn’t fit in my garage and gets crap gas mileage. Rides comfy as hell but that’s all it does well. I don’t have a boat or camper to tow and the bed is usually used for camping gear, hunting gear, luggage or yard equipment, none of which require a half ton pickup.

SuckLemons

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Toyota Tacoma 🌮
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I honestly don’t remember. I like cars and read a lot of auto news, so probably that.

slashy42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
I'd been researching vehicles recently to replace my current one, because my commute is to long for a traditional truck. I'd researched the Santa Cruz, but was pretty luke warm on it. Figured I'd end up getting a smaller used SUV of some kind on the used market, then the announcement showed up in my google news feed, and that was it. Went and reserved it day one. Followed up with an order about a week later. The math on it being the right choice was pretty easy.

Sponsored

MAVRICK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Any
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I live in the MidWest and as of yet, have not seen one network ad. Yes, saw it on YouTube, but not tv. I originally heard (November of last year) about the Mav from my Sister who worked for Ford Corporate and leaked it out to me, knowing I love the small trucks. I am old school and do not do any social media except the dreaded Facebook. Curious how my new found Maverick friends originally heard about this little gem? Have they aired the commercials (networks) in other parts of the Country?
My YouTube Feed is full of car related stuff and the Maverick suddenly appeared in it ... I believe Ford timed the publicity release to pre-empt and scavenge sales of the Hyundai Santa Cruz. In my case, the Maverick took the Hyundai Santa Cruz and the (new) Nissan Frontier out of contention.

SuckLemons

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Toyota Tacoma 🌮
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My YouTube Feed is full of car related stuff and the Maverick suddenly appeared in it ... I believe Ford timed the publicity release to pre-empt and scavenge sales of the Hyundai Santa Cruz. In my case, the Maverick took the Hyundai Santa Cruz and the (new) Nissan Frontier out of contention.
I definitely agree with that. We were thinking about reserving the Santa Cruz but I couldn’t get past the look of it. I’m sure the limited version will be more than what I wanted to spend, so Maverick Lariat it is! Bonus gas mileage and functionality for the win.

Jamesscheffer

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Like others, I was researching the Santa Cruz. I'd been looking for a replacement for my Ranger for several years. I was excited about the new Ranger, but it wasn't what I wanted. In May my nephew showed me the Santa Cruz. It was perfect and I agreed we'd each purchase one at the same time. I got home and was trying to figure out how to reserve a Santa Cruz when I discovered the Maverick. He's still sold on the Santa Cruz. I'm all in on the Maverick.

Art_Vandelay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like others, I was researching the Santa Cruz. I'd been looking for a replacement for my Ranger for several years. I was excited about the new Ranger, but it wasn't what I wanted. In May my nephew showed me the Santa Cruz. It was perfect and I agreed we'd each purchase one at the same time. I got home and was trying to figure out how to reserve a Santa Cruz when I discovered the Maverick. He's still sold on the Santa Cruz. I'm all in on the Maverick.
I don’t understand why anyone would want to buy a truck from a company that has never made a truck before. Especially when the world leader in truck sales has entered the market with a competing product.

OP
OP
TerryE

TerryE

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don’t understand why anyone would want to buy a truck from a company that has never made a truck before. Especially when the world leader in truck sales has entered the market with a competing product.
Wasn’t too long ago Honda, VW, etc. never had a truck before either. Hyundai has made commercial vehicles for many years, albeit a short venture, here is a historical fact on Hyundai:
“ Daimler Hyundai Truck Corporation. (2003):
The two companies revealed in June that they would jointly build the Mercedes-Benz 900 series commercial vehicle diesel engine at Hyundai's Chonju plant from 2004. Hyundai Motor Company plans to enlarge its Chonju plant production amounts of current 50,000 units level to 100,000 units”

Last edited:
Sponsored

Jukebox Nero

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Maverick Lariat Alto Blue FX4 4k 2.0 EB
My way of finding out was quite accidental. I just came across a Car & Driver article about it many months ago and was pretty much sold from then on.

slashy42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
I generally agree, but I think they are going after different customers somewhat. They have very different design philosophies, for sure.

The Santa Cruz is for people who don't want to give up their car/cuv, but have some minor truck use cases. Just look at the nice car like interior. It's a truck for people who don't like trucks, but don't want a load of manure for their garden in their vehicle.

The Maverick is for people who want a truck, but their use cases never justified the size and expense, or people like me who's commute demands something efficient. The Maverick is for truck people, or ones who want to be. That's my take on it, anyway. I think Ford will definitely have the bigger market share, but there is probably room for the Santa Cruz as well.

Art_Vandelay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I generally agree, but I think they are going after different customers somewhat. They have very different design philosophies, for sure.

The Santa Cruz is for people who don't want to give up their car/cuv, but have some minor truck use cases. Just look at the nice car like interior. It's a truck for people who don't like trucks, but don't want a load of manure for their garden in their vehicle.

The Maverick is for people who want a truck, but their use cases never justified the size and expense, or people like me who's commute demands something efficient. The Maverick is for truck people, or ones who want to be. That's my take on it, anyway. I think Ford will definitely have the bigger market share, but there is probably room for the Santa Cruz as well.
I think that market for the latter is 1000% larger than the former.

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I was waiting for the Ranger redesign, then saw the Maverick was coming out first. It's not particularly good looking, but it's grown on me.

Now I just can't decide if I should go hybrid or AWD...

Art_Vandelay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was waiting for the Ranger redesign, then saw the Maverick was coming out first. It's not particularly good looking, but it's grown on me.

Now I just can't decide if I should go hybrid or AWD...
I think the hybrid is really what makes the maverick special. I wish it was AWD like the RAV4 hybrid which uses a smaller secondary battery to temporarily power the rear wheels but what can you do?
Sponsored