Sponsored

How concerned are you with the possible UAW strike?

Deleted member 14823

I have my Mav.

What? Me worry?
I'd feel the same if it was more sturdy. But then we keep hearing about Mavericks being declared a total loss by the insurance company after a passing dog farts on the back bumper and bends the frame. All it takes is one moron who's looking at their phone instead of seeing your brake lights.

We're living in an era of disposable cars only now the store is always out of them.
Sponsored

Esteban88

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburu Outback, Maverick XL hybrid (ordered)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Back when the automakers were in financial trouble the UAW agreed to give-backs. The union is now trying to regain what they lost. The big three have been posting record profits for the past 10 years while the starting pay for new hires is about $16 and hour and there are no cost of living increases. Executives have rewarded themselves with outrageous compensation, for Jim Farley it's $21 million.

They probably won't strike against all three, I expect Stellantis to be targeted because they've refused to negotiate in good faith.

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Back when the automakers were in financial trouble the UAW agreed to give-backs. The union is now trying to regain what they lost. The big three have been posting record profits for the past 10 years while the starting pay for new hires is about $16 and hour and there are no cost of living increases. Executives have rewarded themselves with outrageous compensation, for Jim Farley it's $21 million.

They probably won't strike against all three, I expect Stellantis to be targeted because they've refused to negotiate in good faith.
Ford will throw a couple grand signing bonus at the workers instead of a hourly raise like they've been doing for a couple decades.
UAW gave Ford the 2 tier wage system during the great recession to help and now wants to eliminate it, pretty big issue. They also gave up indirect labor jobs like house keeping to outside contractors.
$21M, that's just over $10,000.00 per hour, cha-ching.

Last edited:

K5Blazer

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'd feel the same if it was more sturdy. But then we keep hearing about Mavericks being declared a total loss by the insurance company after a passing dog farts on the back bumper and bends the frame. All it takes is one moron who's looking at their phone instead of seeing your brake lights.

We're living in an era of disposable cars only now the store is always out of them.
I agree completely with you about the disposable car idea. I have told several people that very thing recently. Most donā€™t get it of course.

The old thinking of a damaged vehicle getting fixed or replaced by insurance is a quaint, but ignorant, idea.

Normalcy bias is a fascinating thing to observe, tragic, but fascinating nonetheless.

People who donā€™t get ā€œItā€™s a brave new worldā€ probably never will at this point.

What? Me worry? Is the response to an initial purchase, not about repairing or keeping the darn thing running.

I doubt the Maverick is the only vehicle insurance companies are totaling for the almost minor damage. I havenā€™t seen figures yet but Iā€˜m guessing they total almost everything now, especially if there is any unibody damage.

Repair bills went up 20% this year. Parts are hard, if not impossible to get in a timely manner. Labor is thin.

The only bright spot for me is that I am starting with a new vehicle instead of trusting that a high mileage used vehicle is going to keep on keepā€™in on without issues.

Last edited:

Bertram

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Ford Ranger, 2017 Transit Connect Wagon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
With the news of a possible strike happening, how do you think it will affect Maverick production? While I'm not going to pretend I understand how much pull UAW has in Mexico, I sort of think that there will be a bit of pressure to support the striking workers?
Worked for Ford for 32 years. Ford has not been on strike since September of 1976. UAW will either target GM or Crysler. GM is always the likely target. GM and the UAW have been at each others throat for years. Ford has always tried to get along with the UAW and it has been to their advantage over the years. No one wins after a strike.

Sponsored

Reconditioner

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My perception of unions is that many of the workers believe they work for the union and forget who pays them. It is sad there is no longer any loyalty between management and workers! Unions protect feather bedders and management pays exorbitant salaries to the big shots. Many unions are responsible for jobs being shipped to other countries; Mexico, China etc. This is the 2020's not the early 1900s!
Looks like a 2 way street, huh?

40caliber

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
forty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
awd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Let em strike, overpaid as it is. Cake jobs that don't require much Intelligence .
I own 10'000 shares of Ford

The UAW's top wage is $32.32 per hour after two 3% wage increases since 2019. The union's proposal would bring that to $47.14, nearing the $49 per hour average top rate recently achieved in a tentative agreement by the International Brotherhood of Teamsters with United Parcel Service Inc.

Reactions: GRB

ejgroth2620

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
With the news of a possible strike happening, how do you think it will affect Maverick production? While I'm not going to pretend I understand how much pull UAW has in Mexico, I sort of think that there will be a bit of pressure to support the striking workers?
UAW is another union that should be broken. They add $2,000+ to the price of a new vehicle due to legacy costs, and the only real beneficiaries are the union bosses. US auto manufacturers are near bankruptcy, and Ford just took a $5 Billion loan from the government to stay afloat. Manufacturers are struggling trying to build mandated EV's that not many people want. Worst of all, these demands just force manufacturers to move plants offshore when they can. Finally, one must ask - are the union thugs working with the Global-Fascists to deliberately destroy the US auto industry? As we know, these aspiring tyrants and elites want everyone walking or biking to work and home.

krg

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was a union member for 30 years and a shop steward, Hermosillo will probably honor the striking workers. When other union shops in my area were on strike we would honor their strike by informing the company that we would be honoring their union by shutting down our plant for Only 1 day in solidarity with the workers. However what you have to worry about is outside vendors like Ups which are unionized workers in my state they will not cross the line to make deliveries, so any unionized employee will not cross the picket line.
no way will Hermosillo workers walk off, slow down or let a uaw strike affect productionā€¦.as stated US parts plants will have an effect on productionā€¦

Sponsored

JohnHartshorn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Toyota Sienna XSE - Mav Hybrid XLT LUX Area 51
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I do support unions. However in the 70s I retrofitted a machine with servo controlled ball scews removing the hydraulic slides on that machine. This was at Ford in Yipsilanti MI. First we had to get their guard guy to remove the guards on the machine. Something I could do in 10 minutes, took half the day. Then was told their electrician had to do the work. He showed up we told him what had to be done. He said ok then we didn't see him for 3 days. He did none of the work. But he had to get the credit for it. First time I realized the dark side of the games that were played
My brother worked as a welder at a plant that built GM frames. If the light bulb at his station went out, the entire line stopped waiting for an electrician to come replace the light bulb. Not exactly something that requires an electricians skill set. Unions once served a real purpose. They are just driving companies to move production overseas these days.

Reactions: krg

krg

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford will throw a couple grand signing bonus at the workers instead of a hourly raise like they've been doing for a couple decades.
UAW gave Ford the 2 tier wage system during the great recession to help and now wants to eliminate it, pretty big issue. They also gave up indirect labor jobs like house keeping to outside contractors.
$21M, that's just over $10,000.00 per hour, cha-ching.
they contracted out indirect labor jobs because they do a better job and at a lesser rateā€¦..

JohnHartshorn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Toyota Sienna XSE - Mav Hybrid XLT LUX Area 51
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

It's not just automobiles. My 18 year old dryer died a couple days ago. It could easily be fixed with a new circuit board. Problem is, the board is no longer made. The dryer looks like it just came off the showroom floor, but is headed to the scrapyard for lack of a replacement part. I expect the the replacement dryer (same manufacturer, same tier level) to last 5-6 years max.

2lbgill

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLTHybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

My perception of unions is that many of the workers believe they work for the union and forget who pays them. It is sad there is no longer any loyalty between management and workers! Unions protect feather bedders and management pays exorbitant salaries to the big shots. Many unions are responsible for jobs being shipped to other countries; Mexico, China etc. This is the 2020's not the early 1900s!
Where do you think akll your holidays, pd vacations, ins. etc. all come from ? the goodness of employers hearts? lol ......... Still wet behind the ears.

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
they contracted out indirect labor jobs because they do a better job and at a lesser rateā€¦..
outside contractors was a UAW concession no matter how you try to spin it
Sponsored