Sponsored

Sivart

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Altima
I don't hate it. And actually I'd would like it better if it folded.
Sponsored

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, VB, 2.0 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I made this bed cover using a 6 by 8 foot vinyl fence section from Home Depot, 1 roll of 3M double stick tape, and 4 six
IMG_5657.jpg
foot lengths of aluminum "U" channel. It took me 3 hours start to finish and cost me roughly $225.00. I am very pleased with the results. The panels ( individual ) slide out from front to rear and are trapped by the tail gate. It won't be water tight but will keep things from getting soaked.
First, I love your resourceful ingenuity and great use of readily available materials. 😍 After all, isn't that the real sign of a true DIY'er. Shoot, we all know that we can pour enough money into an idea and accomplish anything. A real DIY'er gets an idea and implements it with an eye to budget. After all, the Maverick was born out of a practical, low-cost, and appealing attitude by Ford. Your design sticks to that attitude.

For those that say you can buy a soft roll up cover for about the same price, I say: Find one that has a similar super flat profile and doesn't stick up above the bed rails, and do so for the same price and I'll buy it. I love my Ford Soft Rollup Tonneau, but I hate that it sticks up so high from the bed. And it is doesn't keep the bed completely dry. Your design probably weighs less and certainly more aerodynamic than my Ford roll up.

Great job on a good design and obviously it does what it was a designed to do, and it looks good doing it. I see some suggestions here and your design lends itself to varying and additional ideas. Plus, I bet your post generate a lot of refinements that people will not say anything about.

I look forward to more of your ideas. Thanks for posting. :cool:

Last edited:

Pastor_Zatx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I love this! I'm with you, who cares if it costs nearly the same as a "professional" product?! Could you possibly show us a picture from underneath? I'd love to see how it's attached to the truck.

Question: Could you use additional u-channel and divide the fence pieces into say three sections so you could remove just what you needed to fit something else in the bed? That way you could pull out three separate sections without having to deal with all of the loose fence pieces.

Dallas Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

OP
OP

Motorjunkie

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 vette, 71Fiat 850, 91 Mercedes 500SL, 2001 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I love this! I'm with you, who cares if it costs nearly the same as a "professional" product?! Could you possibly show us a picture from underneath? I'd love to see how it's attached to the truck.

Question: Could you use additional u-channel and divide the fence pieces into say three sections so you could remove just what you needed to fit something else in the bed? That way you could pull out three separate sections without having to deal with all of the loose fence pieces.
It adds complexity and material cost as the aluminum isn't cheap. The panels look separate but in fact are about 10 inches wide, so there are only 5 of them so it made no sense to me to make them fold or separate them. But just as I made my own design, all are free to make theirs the way they choose. I didn't want to be disappointed by some of the current ones being sold so if mine disappoints me, I can only blame myself.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Motorjunkie

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It adds complexity and material cost as the aluminum isn't cheap. The panels look separate but in fact are about 10 inches wide, so there are only 5 of them so it made no sense to me to make them fold or separate them. But just as I made my own design, all are free to make theirs the way they choose. I didn't want to be disappointed by some of the current ones being sold so if mine disappoints me, I can only blame myself.
Also, the bottom is identical to the top.

Here are the pics of the inside. All attached with 3m double stick tape.

Ford Maverick Homemade tonneau cover IMG_5670

Ford Maverick Homemade tonneau cover IMG_5668

Ford Maverick Homemade tonneau cover IMG_5667

Ford Maverick Homemade tonneau cover IMG_5673

dxpedition13

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tegz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I made this bed cover using a 6 by 8 foot vinyl fence section from Home Depot, 1 roll of 3M double stick tape, and 4 six
IMG_5659.jpg
IMG_5657.jpg
IMG_5660.jpg
foot lengths of aluminum "U" channel. It took me 3 hours start to finish and cost me roughly $225.00. I am very pleased with the results. The panels ( individual ) slide out from front to rear and are trapped by the tail gate. It won't be water tight but will keep things from getting soaked.
Fantastic work!

ThisWas

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid, 2021 RAV4 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hmm... I never noticed that row of holes hiding under the black trim piece in my Maverick. Looks like a good place to bolt on aluminum channel or angle; could be stronger than 3M double stick tape.

I don't have a tonneau cover for my XL, and I don't need one 99% of the time. But if ever I travel far from home it would be nice to secure the bed so I could leave stuff unattended, maybe slide in some panels per the patented Motorjunkie design.

Ford Maverick Homemade tonneau cover t1

Sponsored

Ringo

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1953 MGTD, 1953 F100, 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I really like the look 👀 of the white. Great idea and execution.

boe757

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150, camry,
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
very nice, a couple of aluminum straps across 2 panels would work to remove 2 at a time, its a great idea - a big thumbs up. I may attempt. Headed for HD Monday for some serious pondering

Last edited:
OP
OP

Motorjunkie

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
very nice, a couple of aluminum straps across 2 panels would work to remove 2 at a time, its a great idea - a big thumbs up. I may attempt. Headed for HD Monday for some serious pondering
Thank you. As easy as they are to remove, my intent was to allow them to stow in a smaller package, whether you put them behind the front sets or inside the bed itself.

boe757

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150, camry,
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thank you. As easy as they are to remove, my intent was to allow them to stow in a smaller package, whether you put them behind the front sets or inside the bed itself.
didn't consider behind the seat storage, more pondering required
Sponsored