2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I bought one of these for bumper protection and to use as a step:
https://www.tgl-global.com/products...receivers?_pos=1&_psq=hitch+step&_ss=e&_v=1.0
I have a Hybrid Lariat with all options except for moon roof and noticed the first time I put the truck in reverse, I got a solid tone from the backup sensors. It appears that this thing is big enough to make the sensor think something is behind the truck. It can be seen clearly in the rear camera. Now, I have to watch carefully to be sure there isn't a person or vehicle behind me before I back up while listening to the steady warning tone. BTW, this thing weighs 35 pounds.
Edit was just to correct spelling.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Buyerfind

Buyerfind

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Hybrid Lariat,No Deletes,10/5/21 order 11/5/22
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I bought one of these for bumper protection and to use as a step:
https://www.tgl-global.com/products...receivers?_pos=1&_psq=hitch+step&_ss=e&_v=1.0
I have a Hybrid Lariat with all options except for moon roof and noticed the first time I put the truck in reverse, I got a solid tone from the backup sensors. It appears that this thing is big enough to make the sensor think something is behind the truck. It can be seen clearly in the rear camera. Now, I have to watch carefully to be sure there isn't a person or vehicle behind me before I back up while listening to the steady warning tone. BTW, this thing weight 35 pounds.
Sadly, that's a deal-breaker for me.

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

On a Maverick, the hitch-mounted "step" just doesn't make any sense to me... As low as the Maverick bumper already is, a step just doesn't really seem necessary. My 65-year-old wife can put one foot on the built-in bumper step area, and then swing her leg over the tailgate into the bed of the truck without much trouble... (Even easier for me, with longer legs and more upper-body strength.)

And the thought that a heavy, non-deformable hunk of rigid steel attached to the receiver will somehow "protect the truck" seems counter-intuitive to me... If anything, by sticking out beyond the bumper, a 'near miss' situation could becomes a full-blown, "crushed your rear end" accident. And we've all seen how easily a unibody vehicle can get "totaled" from a rear-end collision.

Yeah, I'll pass on those...

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
All the crush force from an impact will go in one spot, not sure but that might cause more harm than good on this beer can unibody

RRaynor2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
On a Maverick, the hitch-mounted "step" just doesn't make any sense to me... As low as the Maverick bumper already is, a step just doesn't really seem necessary. My 65-year-old wife can put one foot on the built-in bumper step area, and then swing her leg over the tailgate into the bed of the truck without much trouble... (Even easier for me, with longer legs and more upper-body strength.)

And the thought that a heavy, non-deformable hunk of rigid steel attached to the receiver will somehow "protect the truck" seems counter-intuitive to me... If anything, by sticking out beyond the bumper, a 'near miss' situation could becomes a full-blown, "crushed your rear end" accident. And we've all seen how easily a unibody vehicle can get "totaled" from a rear-end collision.

Yeah, I'll pass on those...
So far, I've used my sparebumper quite a few times as a step. It works very well. To each their own on this "advantage".

As for protecting the truck, this is a trade off for sure. The sparebumper isn't rigid, it has shock absorption built in, which in theory could prevent damage in a low speed collision. The girl that hit me was applying the brakes, and the impact was most likely around 10mph. That caused $1500 in damage to the truck (new bumper, hitch receiver, connector body) and took 4 weeks to get parts. The sparebumper is designed to absorb enough energy to prevent any damage at all in that type of collision. "Crash" Video and anecdotal evidence support this, IMO. I do a lot of city driving, where speeds are generally lower. The same type of rear-ender has nearly happened a few more times since the original crash.

Now, if I'm hit from behind at 65mph, all bets are off. I'm counting on crumple zones of the unibody/bed to protect the passengers, as the receiver is bolted directly to the unibody. At 65mph there is no "protecting" the truck. It's toast.
Sponsored