First Name
Toni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 4Runner 4x4, 2003 Tacoma PreRun, 2005 Liberty
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Has anyone tried modifying a side mounted bed step for the Maverick?
I realize most people probably don't need one but I'm horizontally challenged. With the two added inches, it's just out of my comfortable range. I use the trailer hitch with the tail gate closed but with it down, in and out, loading, unloading.... gets to me.
Ideas?
Sponsored

Old_Norm

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach E 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I realize most people probably don't need one but I'm horizontally challenged. With the two added inches, it's just out of my comfortable range. I use the trailer hitch with the tail gate closed but with it down, in and out, loading, unloading.... gets to me.
Ideas?
I had these steps on my Ranger and they worked very well. Might fit a Maverick, they say universal fit. I might get them for my Mav once the "Too new to drill a hole" wears off. I'm not vertically challenged, I'm just old.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078YFVS8...pk-20&linkId=1fae7d92f0ef18df5516122659e51eb2

No5s

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado Z71
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Walmart has a black plastic step stool that folds flat. I’m 70 and constantly loading motorcycles. When I forget the step I struggle loading and unloading.

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Maverick Grabber

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Chrysler 200, 2022 Maverick XLT Red
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ideas?
A stepstool some are collapsible

Sponsored

Old_Norm

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach E 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That is the easiest solution, but then you have to store it someplace. I like the side steps because they store away, do not rattle around the bed and are right where you need them when you need them..

CajunMick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Heman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
In my former F250 diesel truck, loading and unloading a challenge if not inside the bed. So to remedy that, I made a pole with a blunt metal hook at the end. Use that to push or pull, or grab any objects in the bed. Works well. But in this XLT case, for me, not need a similar tool. But one day I may have to make another one. LoL.

catshreds

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Ideas?
Think you meant VERTICALLY challenged! LOL!

OP
OP
TREX10

TREX10

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Toni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Think you meant VERTICALLY challenged! LOL!
Obviously - I am challenged in many planes!!!!
Hahahaha!
Note to self: never post pre-coffee.

OP
OP
TREX10

TREX10

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Toni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I currently use a collapsible step stool but I'm looking for something more stable.
I have built a (I struggle for a name) truck bed camper/but not camper. I used the model of the rooftop camper and lifted roof from the back side. We used it for one trip spur of the moment and for only spending one day on the build, it actually worked out well. It was a road trip and we alternated motel/dispersed site. Paid for itself in one night. This involves getting in the bed with the tailgate down and sometimes in the dark etc... I saw the side mounted fold away step for the F150 and I think Ranger, too - just wondered if anyone had (as mentioned above) gotten the courage to drill holes and attempt to mount on on the Maverick.

Thanks for all the suggestions - keep them coming!

Sponsored

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Wouldn't be hard to build a retractable hitch step. Just a couple pieces of pipe that all go in to each other a drill and a couple smaller class 1 hitch pins. Think like a Russian nesting doll.

catshreds

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Obviously - I am challenged in many planes!!!!
Hahahaha!
Note to self: never post pre-coffee.
NP! I, myself, face both Vertical & Horizontal challenges everyday! :ROFLMAO:

Lane

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lane
Threads
Reaction score
Website
photos.app.goo.gl
Vehicle(s)
2023 Area 51 Hybrid XL, 2006 VW Jetta Smyth UTE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
An interesting fact about lowered vehicles that most people might not realize - after I installed a Silvers suspension on mine, the drop made it dramatically easier to step up onto the tailgate, or to lift anything into or out of the bed over the sides. My gate is now 24" from the ground, and the bed sides 44".

Ford Maverick Side Bed Step for Maverick IMG_2417.JPG

Much more friendly for the vertically-challenged. Don't know if it benefits the horizontally challenged though.

Reminded me of comedian Steven Wright who'd said "A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths."

I've never owned a full-sized truck, but it would be a complete PITA to lose the utility from easily being able to reach over the sides or step up onto the tailgate. I remember easily loading/unloading the back of full-sized trucks (without having to get in the bed) on my grandfather's farm when I was a teenager. It feels like trucks didn't used to be the height they are now.
Sponsored

Last edited: