Help Clothing Static Electricity, Hybrid

Ronaldo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71 bronco, 67 conv Mustang, 93 RX7 R1
I drive my hybrid everyday (about 1,500 a month), every night I take off my jacket and shirt etc.. there is a strong static electricity cling on my back. I'm sure it has something to do with the batteries or electric motors. I'm thinking about putting a ground strap on the truck. It can't be good for you to have this electric charge everyday. I have never been shocked on exit like others. Has anyone else noticed this issue?
Sponsored

frrocketdan

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have driven a Ford Fusion Hybrid since 2015 and have never noticed extra static and never had static shock when getting in or out of the car.

OP
OP

Ronaldo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have driven a Ford Fusion Hybrid since 2015 and have never noticed extra static and never had static shock when getting in or out of the car.
I agree my girlfriend has had two fusion hybrids since 2018 and I have never felt static electricity with those cars.

sn00pyguy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Sn00pyguy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Outback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I drive my hybrid everyday (about 1,500 a month), every night I take off my jacket and shirt etc.. there is a strong static electricity cling on my back. I'm sure it has something to do with the batteries or electric motors. I'm thinking about putting a ground strap on the truck. It can't be good for you to have this electric charge everyday. I have never been shocked on exit like others. Has anyone else noticed this issue?
Since the XLT has cloth seats, do you think putting on a more leather like seat cover would help?

rknrbt

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Fusion
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I haven't noticed that in my hybrid Maverick. I have heard putting a dryer sheet in your back pockets helps prevent that. Also, grab the door with BOTH hands when exiting the car.

Sponsored

T McG

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This will surely do it. A light mist on the fabric seats.

Ford Maverick Help Clothing Static Electricity, Hybrid 57CCE264-6D8F-47F1-A814-8B44F94ECCFA

OP
OP

Ronaldo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Since the XLT has cloth seats, do you think putting on a more leather like seat cover would help?
Maybe rubber isolating the seat frame from the floor pan would do the trick.

OP
OP

Ronaldo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This will surely do it.

57CCE264-6D8F-47F1-A814-8B44F94ECCFA.png
It's not the static on the shirt issue, it's sitting in a vehicle that causes a electric field that causes this. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed. It can't be good for you, that why I was thinking some type of ground strap. Some people say living by power Lines can cause health issues, I'm a little sensitive right now because my brother in law just passed on Monday from brain cancer. No one knows how he got it.

Veer

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
veer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Before you get out of the seat, open the door, touch metal frame while seating in the seat, and get out while keeping contact with metal frame. You will be discharged without getting shocked. If the truck it self has higher charge then earth ground, the tires will keep from grounding it self. Depending on type of shoes you wear, you could act as the grounding point.

Oggy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's not the static on the shirt issue, it's sitting in a vehicle that causes a electric field that causes this. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed. It can't be good for you, that why I was thinking some type of ground strap. Some people say living by power Lines can cause health issues, I'm a little sensitive right now because my brother in law just passed on Monday from brain cancer. No one knows how he got it.

I'm going to play devil's advocate...

What proof do you have that this is electrons lost during the power generation phase of this vehicle?

Certain types of clothing material, flooring, or even my dog, can create static electricity. I'm not saying you're wrong, just looking for evidence this is caused by your vehicle, when others are saying it's not happening to them.

Sponsored

CSmith

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4, 2020 F150 XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Three things mentioned above all work -
  1. Touching the metal frame before leaving the seat (and stepping on the ground.)
  2. Static spray
  3. Rubbing a dryer anti-static sheet (Bounce) on your seats every week.
It's not from the hybrid tech.

cyberdog

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've had that with just about every cloth seat vehicle I've owned. Vinyl seats, no problem, leather, no problem, most cloth, get a good zap when I touched a grounded surface, or had the clingy feel until I did. You'll find that it happens more when wearing certain types of material, as different clothing/materials create different amounts of charge.

If its of some consolation, it should happen a lot less in warm, humid, summer weather, when the ambient air isn't as dry. Using a dryer sheet with your clothes will help, as will placing one under the seat of the truck. - Bonus, it makes for an awesome air freshener, just pick a scent you like.

WannaMav

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nothing like pouring that first mug of morning coffee and settling into the desk chair to catch up on 'current events.'

:giggle:

RanCheeto

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volt, Audi TT, 59 Corvette, 30 Model A, etc...
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In science class in grade school we would make static electricity when plastic was rubbed against natural fiber... Like a balloon on hair, plastic rod on wool, cotton socks on carpet, etc... Dry air helps clothing hold a static charge.

I am not sure what the seats in the XL/XLT are made of specifically but a lot of companies are using recycled plastic. So it may be some clothing types are creating static when rubbed on the seats... Easy fun experiment if it does work. :)
Sponsored