Sponsored

Hard Tri-fold vs Hard Roll Up

Thrillhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I've narrowed it down to these two covers and have some questions about the difference between the two. I like the tri-fold for it's looks and it's ability to not protrude to far into the bed at it's full open position. I do not like that it blocks the back window. I have the backup camera if I need it folded against the window but the backup camera would be useless if I needed the tailgate down. I was wondering if anyone knows how far into the bed the hard rollup protrudes? and how that compares to the tri-fold? How much of the back window is taken up by the rollup? I've also read complaints on rollup covers in winter getting stiff and hard to roll up and some getting ice in the tracks. Anyone have experience with that?
Sponsored

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
I've narrowed it down to these two covers and have some questions about the difference between the two. I like the tri-fold for it's looks and it's ability to not protrude to far into the bed at it's full open position. I do not like that it blocks the back window. I have the backup camera if I need it folded against the window but the backup camera would be useless if I needed the tailgate down. I was wondering if anyone knows how far into the bed the hard rollup protrudes? and how that compares to the tri-fold? How much of the back window is taken up by the rollup? I've also read complaints on rollup covers in winter getting stiff and hard to roll up and some getting ice in the tracks. Anyone have experience with that?
I have a hard rollup on my work truck. LOVE IT. use to have tri fold.
The only thing nicer about the trifold was it was stronger.
the rollup sits flush with the bed.and takes up only about an 8ā€x8ā€ space in the rear top. Of the bed.

yes it takes up a little more room. But its easy to remove and install.

it does get stiff the winter but nothing crazy

Rentman1225

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forde Maverick XLT LUX
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Tim Bartz and his after market guy, Blake did a real nice video showing the install of a hard tri-fold. Blake says the tri-fold takes up about 5 inches in front. That is something I never condidered before. The entire video is worth watching but around 28:03 shows the space it takes up. They did a good job of explaining many of the features in addition to install instructions.

Unfortunately, I still have plenty of time decide which to go with.

Turtle

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Tim Bartz and his after market guy, Blake did a real nice video showing the install of a hard tri-fold. Blake says the tri-fold takes up about 5 inches in front. That is something I never condidered before. The entire video is worth watching but around 28:03 shows the space it takes up. They did a good job of explaining many of the features in addition to install instructions.

It apppears to me that the tri-fold will block the rear window and the hard roll up not as much.

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Consider how often you will need to drive with the cover up. For me, that maybe 2 percent of the time. Often all I need to do is flip up the rearmost panel of the trifold, put in what I need to and then close it again. The roll-up has to be all or nothing. I don't think you can drive and have it in a mid-position.

Sponsored

Turtle

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Consider how often you will need to drive with the cover up. For me, that maybe 2 percent of the time. Often all I need to do is flip up the rearmost panel of the trifold, put in what I need to and then close it again. The roll-up has to be all or nothing. I don't think you can drive and have it in a mid-position.
Thank you

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My hard roll up has like 8 positions. Every 6ā€ theres a lock position

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My hard roll up has like 8 positions. Every 6ā€ theres a lock position
HUh? Are you referring to a roll up that rolls up on top of itself? As opposed to a canister roll-up like a RetraxPro-MX?

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HUh? Are you referring to a roll up that rolls up on top of itself? As opposed to a canister roll-up like a RetraxPro-MX?

Yes. The hard roll up cover. Is retractable. Rolls up into a canister. And has multiple spots to stop. In my opinion the best cover option.
1 Hard roll up
2 Tri fold
3 soft roll up
4 clam shell lift
5 snap on cover

Turtle

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes. The hard roll up cover. Is retractable. Rolls up into a canister. And has multiple spots to stop. In my opinion the best cover option.
1 Hard roll up
2 Tri fold
3 soft roll up
4 clam shell lift
5 snap on cover
Thanks i appreciate your opinion

Sponsored

Rob Daman

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
robdaman.com
Vehicle(s)
Mav
I'm waiting on my Roll n Lock and will do a video once I get it.

I've owned canisters (Retrax), hard and soft tri-folds. Out of those canisters are the best to me.

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm waiting on my Roll n Lock and will do a video once I get it.

I've owned canisters (Retrax), hard and soft tri-folds. Out of those canisters are the best to me.
I thought you were talking about the roll-up covers that roll in top and then sit like a rolled burrito šŸŒÆ at the front of the bed. The canister types are a diiferent animal at typically the most expensive kind.

OP
OP
Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None

I had watched this video which got me thinking about the hard tri-fold. I don't for see myself having something where I would need the panels against the glass and the tailgate down. With the panels against the glass and the tailgate closed, I would still have the backup camera. I like the look of the tri-fold and the fact I can open one, two or all three panels. I wish they made a quick release so you could just take all three panels completely out. Are there any tri-folds with a quick release option?

Dirt820

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have the ford hard roll up on mine. Itā€™s stayed in the down position because in the cold temps weā€™ve been having (under 10 degrees) it gets incredibly stiff and Iā€™m afraid Iā€™m going to break something.
Today I rolled it up in the heated garage and ran some errands around town. Rolled up it doesnā€™t cover the whole window, but it covers enough to make me not use the rear view mirror anymore. Also, the plastic snaps that are used with the straps to hold it in the fully rolled position are 1) facing towards the back of the truck instead of straight up like what would make sense to me, and 2) cheaply manufactured. Durability is a concern with these things.
If I had the opportunity to do it again, I wouldā€™ve ordered the tri-fold. This opinion may change in the summer months when everything flexes like itā€™s supposed to, and maybe the cover will roll up into a smaller roll.

ValenciaOrange

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have the roll up. Today I lightly washed my truck. It leaked from the front and back. I only hosed the truck down for a few minutes. It came from the factory.

Luckily it doesnā€™t rain much where I live. It will go back for an adjustment.
Sponsored