jtpc2021

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Went to see and test drive the the maverick and the salesperson told me he knows Toyota is charging 5k over MSRP, but his dealership isn’t yet. I sat down with him and he wrote up two quotes. One with 5k markup and one without. I said can you do the one without and he said yes, you live locally and I can get it done for you. I told him I would buy it at full MSRP. He proceeded to go through all of the rebates to see if any applied and then discussed financing and gave me the monthly payment. I said ok, I will buy it at those terms. He then went into the office for a few minutes and when he came out he said I have to charge you 5k over MSRP. I was stunned, I didn’t know what to say and my son was sitting with me and so excited about buying the truck for him. So I said we had a deal at MSRP, I’m not paying 5k over and walked out.

I feel we were severely misled and bait and switch occurred. Is this common practice? Is this unethical sales practices? Do I have any recourse?

Please let me know your thoughts and any suggestions you may have.
I take it this was a stock unit the dealer had possession of and not a custom order you waited months for.
If that is the case, you shouldn’t be surprised to pay over msrp. The salesman was wrong to quote you otherwise. That was his bad.

My mom just got a Bronco Sport Badlands for $5K over while I just saw a post today on TFLoffroad youtube of someone who ordered a bronco sport badlands in February and date has been pushed back to December.

So for that guy to wait forever and my mom to just walk into a dealer and get one at msrp would be wrong. If she wants one immediately, she should (and did) have to pay a premium.

The maverick is no different right now. Wait your turn or pay up.
Sponsored

Rexus99

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Tacoma
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I didn’t think this was an appropriate forum for that and didn’t want to come across as bash the dealership, but many of you are asking. DCH Ford of Eatontown, avoid it.
They add to the MSRP which is only suggested as everyone has stated. I signed an order form and ordered a 2022 Ford Maverick exactly as I wanted at a clearly stated price. If they mark up the price and I report it here that is no more bashing a dealer than reporting 3% above invoice is sucking up to a dealer. Both are just relaying the facts......

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Future Ford of Clovis CA

Adding $7995 to buyer's June order.

We did not talk price before hand, and I really wish we did. That’s on me.

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Future Ford of Clovis CA
Adding $7995 to buyer's June order.
We did not talk price before hand, and I really wish we did. That’s on me.
I took a look at the poor guy's posts. Young guy, no experience with this sort of thing, didn't do any of the things we've talked about here to protect himself. He really got taken advantage of.

The dealer knew exactly what he was doing when they "didn't talk price before hand." Slimy...

zeketolliver

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hyundai Tuscon NLine
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Someone got greedy and lost a customer. I would have walked too
Sadly, someone else will probably pay 5k over, so they don't give an f about losing the sale.

Sponsored

FloodingdowninTX

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think he was trying to be slick and make me pay more so I didn’t upset my son.
I think this happens routinely. If a couple, for example are sitting across the desk. One of us will be emotional like a kid in a candy store, while the other feels like bad cop.
Fortunately my wife is a total bad cop all the time.

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I played with TrueCar a bit which immediately caused several of my local dealers to contact me. I've emailed them what I expect to pay based on MSRP, what I want for my trade, how I want the Maverick configured, (very few accessories, and a requirement this be a hybrid. (No Ecoboost for me.) I also indicated the colors that would be acceptable.
That's my offer...take it or leave it. I don't --need-- a Maverick and if they don't like my terms, screw 'em. There are many other dealers to choose from. I can wait.

OP
OP

Qball

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aviator, Cherokee and Grand Cherokee
I might have missed it in these 6 pages, but @Qball did you find a truck/make a deal at a different dealership?
I have been actively looking. Many dealerships are being non descriptive about there intentions on charging over MSRP.

Ford88

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat
I have been actively looking. Many dealerships are being non descriptive about there intentions on charging over MSRP.
Just want to put this out there if there are any veterans that are buying. Ford buries this a bit online, you have to dig cause it won’t show up on the normal “incentives” page but if you go through veteransadvantage you can get Ford’s X pricing which is approx $1000 under msrp, depending on build.
Of course it’s up to the dealer to honor this but most should as it’s a direct Ford promotion. I ordered the 2.0 lariat and should save me about $1200 under msrp.

Whitenight

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat, 2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’m in Monmouth county. I am willing to travel in order to do business with a reliable trustworthy dealer. My last vehicle I purchased Wayne Lincoln, it was seamless, everything was done over the phone and they delivered what was discussed.
I deal with Mahwah Ford in Mahwah, NJ. Have been dealing with them for over 25 years and have never had an issue. When I was looking to buy my 2000 F-350 Crew Cab 7.3L diesel pickup, they were the only dealer that would accept my A-plan for the purchase. I had gone to 5 other dealers before them and each one wouldn't take the order because it would go against their allocation for the month. The owner of Mahwah Ford said he would take my order since he would get the difference from Ford in a couple of months but he would gain a customer. He not only gained a customer, but sold four F-350 7.3L diesels. He was extremely happy to say the least. You can call them at (201) 529-3200 and speak to Greg Cummings.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Qball

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I deal with Mahwah Ford in Mahwah, NJ. Have been dealing with them for over 25 years and have never had an issue. When I was looking to buy my 2000 F-350 Crew Cab 7.3L diesel pickup, they were the only dealer that would accept my A-plan for the purchase. I had gone to 5 other dealers before them and each one wouldn't take the order because it would go against their allocation for the month. The owner of Mahwah Ford said he would take my order since he would get the difference from Ford in a couple of months but he would gain a customer. He not only gained a customer, but sold four F-350 7.3L diesels. He was extremely happy to say the least. You can call them at (201) 529-3200 and speak to Greg Cummings.
Thank you. Will call tomorrow

OP
OP

Qball

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I might have missed it in these 6 pages, but @Qball did you find a truck/make a deal at a different dealership?
I haven’t had any success yet. Still looking!!

TheGriffin1313

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mav, 05 M3, 07GSXR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It was dealer stock, but I spoke to another dealer and they wouldn’t give me an exact price if I ordered one. They said adjustments in price could happen. Hope your situation works out
Good to know for everyone. It sucks that it happened to you. Info here regarding stock and retail make such a huge difference.
Lets hope these big city dealers will not do this switch and bait crap for long.

But these are events that will make “sales dealerships” extinct in the years to come. The privately owned ones that are handed down from father to son to grandson etc… are all in it to perpetuate their family wealth and to make them have a hold till perpetuity.
They don’t produce anything and actually are consuming productivity of others. It will be up to the big three to purge these leaches out of the market place. AutoNation Carvana are the first steps. The privately owned dealers lobby states and big 3 to not let manufacturers sell directly to consumers as they and most thugs that pimp the hardware, skim of the top and bottom in most cases.
Salesmen/women are inherently half truthers.
One of the silver linings of social media is that crap like this gets out when the lights are on the rats go scurrying. I know they will have stories of how they help the average guy they don’t in the long run.

I apologize to the folks that are employed by these families in some cases its all they know and would suck if they lost their income.

But we all need to take stock on how we make a living as Americans. Is it on the backs of others or the sweat of our brow.

Touchy I know

Coffeeslug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Sportster 48
So, my dealer and I agreed upon an order that was sent to me via pdf, online at msrp and nothing on that (DORA?) says anything to the contrary. The dealer nor I signed anything in person, only agreed through email.

Should I be worried about a mark up or is this email chain proof enough of an agreement?

TrkNv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Xj and Rogue Sport
I'll assume you told the dealer to GFH.
Sponsored