clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I installed a front and rear camera yesterday.

I have included a few pics of the finished product. The only tools I used were two small trim tools designed to loosen the trim without scaring. You can pick them up for less than 10 bucks at any automotive store or online.

The only spot I wasn’t able to totally hide the cable was in the back passenger side corner. I think if I had stayed at it or had a second set of hands I’ld got that tucked away too.

This was done without removing any of the trim or headliner.
I was able to tuck the cable up and behind the trim as I worked my way from front back.
1636404451698.jpeg

1636404311929.jpeg
1636404168339.jpeg

1636404397897.jpeg

1636404222237.jpeg
Won't your sliding rear glass impact that placement of the rear dashcam? I figured it should be on the other side.
Sponsored

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Won't your sliding rear glass impact that placement of the rear dashcam? I figured it should be on the other side.
No. The window moves the other way.

FriscoTXJoe

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I admire your all's mechanical ability. Would like to do the same but just don't trust myself to do it right. When you buy a camera for the car, can you hire someone to install it?

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No. The window moves the other way.
Ah of course you're right. I was always looking at it in the rear view mirror so I had it backwards in my mind lol

Ford Maverick Guide for interior trim removal? 1642966597926

g1zstar

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL Hybrid Barebones
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I admire your all's mechanical ability. Would like to do the same but just don't trust myself to do it right. When you buy a camera for the car, can you hire someone to install it?
You should really just look into doing it yourself. You don't even have to do anything fancy if you're not comfortable. If you don't feel comfortable popping the trim out a little bit to put the wires in, you can just run it in the semi-open. A good dashcam should come with little clips meant to hold the wire and that stick to the windshield. Run the wire towards the top of the windshield then left towards the door, tuck it between the door and dashboard. Go down, head right and there should be a place to tuck the wire into beneath the steering wheel where it won't be in the way of the steering or your legs. Make your way to the usb plug and you're good. Just tuck it in all the nooks and crannies along the way. Experiment and see where the wire will stay. If you're doing the rear camera also (or even the front camera wire you can do this) put it underneath the floor liner. Just make sure near the doors it's flat and won't snag your feet or your passengers feet and you're all good.

Putting it underneath the trim just makes it look extra clean. Wiring to a fuse just frees up that usb slot. Also it does let you safely keep recording while the car is parked without killing the battery. (Some dashcams have a gforce sensor in them which will make them record if someone hits you while you're parked for example)
But at the end of the day the main use of the dashcam is still just for evidence in case of an incident. These things are very popular and are designed for people with no mechanical knowledge.

Sponsored

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just finished mine today. I ran front and rear like The Weatherman and tucked up wiring just above headliner like him. I also had that small spot in the rear corner that I couldn't tuck up, but haven't tried too hard as it doesn't bother me since it's hard to see with the black behind it.

I tapped into the #2 fuse slot in the fuse panel under the glove box. It's unused, so it's a good place to tap into. I tested it with a multimeter and it is powered with ignition.

zmlVlnv.png
Question about your tapping into fuse #2.
So that's a 3-blade Micro3 fuse type, do you simply put in a Micro2 fuse on the appriate side for #2 load (middle is common line?) and leave the #1 load slot 'empty'? I guess you need an extra 5-amp Micro2 fuse if you're using a fuse-tap so that both fuse slots are filled, since you aren't re-using the Micro3 fuse?

EDIT: Oh the plastic housing standards for Micro2 and Micro3 don't work together. Do you use one of these one of these (two sides) or one of these (one side)

I also tested 1/2, 8/9, and 15/16 Micro3 fuses as also powered by ignition.

Otherwise it seems only #3 and #6 are the default Micro2 fuse slots that are powered on accessory/ignition.

What does "Extended Power Module" mean I wonder.

Last edited:

FriscoTXJoe

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

You should really just look into doing it yourself. You don't even have to do anything fancy if you're not comfortable. If you don't feel comfortable popping the trim out a little bit to put the wires in, you can just run it in the semi-open. A good dashcam should come with little clips meant to hold the wire and that stick to the windshield. Run the wire towards the top of the windshield then left towards the door, tuck it between the door and dashboard. Go down, head right and there should be a place to tuck the wire into beneath the steering wheel where it won't be in the way of the steering or your legs. Make your way to the usb plug and you're good. Just tuck it in all the nooks and crannies along the way. Experiment and see where the wire will stay. If you're doing the rear camera also (or even the front camera wire you can do this) put it underneath the floor liner. Just make sure near the doors it's flat and won't snag your feet or your passengers feet and you're all good.

Putting it underneath the trim just makes it look extra clean. Wiring to a fuse just frees up that usb slot. Also it does let you safely keep recording while the car is parked without killing the battery. (Some dashcams have a gforce sensor in them which will make them record if someone hits you while you're parked for example)
But at the end of the day the main use of the dashcam is still just for evidence in case of an incident. These things are very popular and are designed for people with no mechanical knowledge.
Thank you for the details. I really should do it, I do plenty of work on my house but something about snapping one of those fasteners or wiring it incorrectly just scares the hell out of me! Maybe I find a video showing any similar and just follow it....Come on Ford, sell more Mavericks!

IndyHavoc

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey -> '23 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Anyone have reason to remove or modify the center console at all. Or have details about what, if any, wiring is in the hollow area behind the interior available space under the armrest, and the back USB+110vac plug?
Sponsored